PDA

View Full Version : D50, is it worth getting?

Informer
07-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Hi all,

I was looking to buy a second hand D70, but when I heard about the D50 selling at around the same price, I decided to check it out. I wanted to buy my first DSLR camera, but I don't really want to get too serious and weigh myself down with too many lenses. I live in Japan so can get most things including second hand stuff.

The camera was nice to hold, it didn't have the solid feel of the D70 and it felt a little close the Canon in terms of plastic cosmetics. I think I would prefer the lighter camera in the long run because I would hate having to carry a heavy one (my last digital camera was the Canon SD300).

When I took pictures with the D50, the picture was not as impressive as I thought it would be. I wasn't sure if it was the default setting of the camera, the lens or what, but I expected better for a 6 megapixel camera.
How much better is the D70 to the D50? I felt that the focusing was pretty fast, though when I tried to take a picture of something nearby (like another camera), it would focus on the lens, but not on the lettering on the rest of the camera. What's up with that?

Also, the Canon 350D has 8 megal pixels, doesn't that translate into better and sharper pictures?

I would like to make a decision on buying a camera soon for my road trip to Hokkaido (land of endless trees, mountains and coasts).

D70FAN
07-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

I was looking to buy a second hand D70, but when I heard about the D50 selling at around the same price, I decided to check it out. I wanted to buy my first DSLR camera, but I don't really want to get too serious and weigh myself down with too many lenses. I live in Japan so can get most things including second hand stuff.

The camera was nice to hold, it didn't have the solid feel of the D70 and it felt a little close the Canon in terms of plastic cosmetics. I think I would prefer the lighter camera in the long run because I would hate having to carry a heavy one (my last digital camera was the Canon SD300).

When I took pictures with the D50, the picture was not as impressive as I thought it would be. I wasn't sure if it was the default setting of the camera, the lens or what, but I expected better for a 6 megapixel camera.
How much better is the D70 to the D50? I felt that the focusing was pretty fast, though when I tried to take a picture of something nearby (like another camera), it would focus on the lens, but not on the lettering on the rest of the camera. What's up with that?

Also, the Canon 350D has 8 megal pixels, doesn't that translate into better and sharper pictures?

I would like to make a decision on buying a camera soon for my road trip to Hokkaido (land of endless trees, mountains and coasts).

There should be very little difference in photo quality. 8MP is the resolution and does not necessarily reflect on sharpness or picture quality (mainly a lens function).

I'm not sure what you are looking for in picture quality, but shooting test shots in a camera store won't show you much.

If you want a reasonably priced dSLR, with a decent starter lens, then the D50 will serve you well. If you want a more professional (but still consumer grade) try the D70 or Canon 20D. If ergonomics are not a key factor and you don't mind an "iffy" kit lens then try the Canon XT.

I've been shooting the D70 for for about 15 months and would recommend it unconditionally.

Warin
07-03-2005, 12:27 PM
When the D50 was announced, I started thinking about putting off a D70s purchase.

After having had one in my hands, here are my views:

The D50 is a solid bit of kit. It doesnt suffer a lot in terms of it's "lower end" build quality, when compared to the D70s. Nice big LCD, still easy to use.

Things I couldn't live without that the D50 didnt have:

Dual command dials. I shoot in manual about 90% of the time on my F80, and I can see wanting to do so with the D70s. Having one wheel for aperature and one for shutter makes life ever so much easier.

DOF preview button. When I am shooting for specific effect, it's nice to know what the depth of field is going to look like when stopped down, and I can do that on the D70s and my F80 but not the D50.

I also wasnt big on the D50 kit lens. It felt a lot like the 18-55 Canon kit lens. the 18-70 AFS DX lens with the D70s is beatiful, however.

For someone moving from P&S to dSLR, the D50 is an excellent camera and value. I have sold two so far and both customers are exceptionally happy with them.

D70FAN
07-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Having now played with the D50 several times, I'm liking it more and more. This vs. the 350D from Canon which just keeps getting more and more annoying (sorry XT owners I just don't like the ergonomics).

Do I like it more than my D70..? Ah... No. But if this was my first dSLR it would be great. As for the kit lens.. a much better effort than Canon. It may be cheaply made but, for $150, it takes very nice pictures.

Bluedog
07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Having now played with the D50 several times, I'm liking it more and more. This vs. the 350D from Canon which just keeps getting more and more annoying (sorry XT owners I just don't like the ergonomics).

If it's that annoying you better quit going back holding it ... LOL ... no need to feel sorry as I'm not a fan of the D70 clunkiness ... :D

D70FAN
07-05-2005, 07:30 AM
If it's that annoying you better quit going back holding it ... LOL ... no need to feel sorry as I'm not a fan of the D70 clunkiness ... :D

Touche! I really want to like the XT, but just can't get past the difficulty I have holding it, and fussing with the controls. It's The same reason I don't like most all-in-ones.

But kudos to Canon for the technology. If you can live with the XT's ergonomics then by all means consider that path. I just think the D50 and the D70 are better balanced cameras that, like the XT, will take great pictures. As are the 20D and the *ist DS.

Like everything else it's a matter of what you like.

TheObiJuan
07-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I loved the weight and solidity of the d70, but I hated the CF door on the grip. :p

D70FAN
07-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I loved the weight and solidity of the d70, but I hated the CF door on the grip. :p

Juan... What? :confused:

TheObiJuan
07-06-2005, 11:59 PM
some call the cf door sculpet into the back and etc, I just call it in the way. To each their own. :p

Informer
07-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks people for the replies.

Just wondering, is the lense in the D50 kit good enough, or should I get the base D50 and get a better lense for everyday use? I heard that the AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor ED 55-200mm F4-F5.6G would be better, but really I have no idea about lenses.

I'll be taking a lot of outside pictures, and some nightshots as well.

Basically, I'm going to take as many pictures of anything I see on my road trip.

Thanks again for your opinions!

Informer
07-07-2005, 03:02 AM
Touche! I really want to like the XT, but just can't get past the difficulty I have holding it, and fussing with the controls. It's The same reason I don't like most all-in-ones.

But kudos to Canon for the technology. If you can live with the XT's ergonomics then by all means consider that path. I just think the D50 and the D70 are better balanced cameras that, like the XT, will take great pictures. As are the 20D and the *ist DS.

Like everything else it's a matter of what you like.

I found the Canon difficult to appreciate. The 8 megapixel capability attracts me, so does the size and weight. The controls however were not as "approachable" as the Nikon D50. The one thing that won me over about the D50 was the SD card readability. The Pentax supports the SD and was an attractive camera at the beginning, but the D50 just seemed like the right kind of camera for a first timer like me who would rather get the results out of the box without all the tinkering afterwards.
The Canon I felt needed a bit of adjustment before I can settle on taking photos. So it seems that a fully manual DSLR is not what I'm looking for.