PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Pictures

diamondlovr
07-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I would like to take pictures of lightning. I would like to know what equipment to use. I have read that you don't really need a real expensive camera. I have a Olympus C-5000 Zoom 5mp camera. I think I need something that I can control the shutter speed more. My night shot on my camera has a max shutter speed of 4 sec. Can I buy a 35mm camera that is inexpensive to buy one that has more controls. I would buy a older camera if neccessary. I got lucky the other night and did get a picture using my nightshot however I wasen't using a tripod so its got some shake. But it still looks cool.

MissJezabelle
07-04-2005, 07:49 PM
It doesn't matter if you have a $5 camera or a 5 thousand dollar camera, if you aren't using a tripod you are going to get garbage. Tripods are needed to get rid of the camera shake. and 4 seconds of shutter ought to be plenty for the lightning. I shot some fireworks last night and plan to do more tonight, and only used 2-4 seconds of shutter time.

minc3d
07-05-2005, 10:35 AM
You dont need a tripod if you have an antishake lens like Canon's IS lenses. I have successfully bee able to get rid of my tripod for almost 75% of photos that before required one. IS lenses are the best thing since... sliced bread!

Alnath
07-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I took this with a G6 with a 15 second exposure but that was just to hedge my bets, 4 seconds is more than long enough if the lightning strikes in that time