PDA

View Full Version : How do I use the features in my F10

digimon
07-01-2005, 08:14 AM
I just bought a Fuji F10 after reading the great reviews from this website. However, I am an amature when it comes to photography. I want to be able to get the best out of the camera, so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some advice on such features as ISO settings and natural light. Below are just some of my questions:

-How do I know what ISO setting to use?
-When do I use natural light?
-Should I set the exposure compensation by -1/3EV as suggested by the review? Should this setting be permanent?
-Should I use my flash when the ISO setting is at 1600?
-What shutter speed should I use depending on the time of day?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Digimon

Donato777
07-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I hope you won't think that I am pointing out the obvious, but I am a newbie too with many of the same questions about using my F10 and new Oly C-7070. The best thing is to purchase a good book on digital photography, and/or take an online course. For example, if you go to www.shortcourses.com you will find many different beginner's course in digital photography. They are excellent and inexpensive too.

sjseto
07-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Shortcourses.com (http://www.shortcourses.com/) is a useful looking resource (thanks for the link, Donato, I hadn't heard of the site before).

Digimon, I came up with some F10-specific answers to your questions, if you care to read:

How do I know what ISO setting to use?
I like to use the lowest ISO setting possible for better picture quality. That setting will be determined by what shutter speed the camera will use for a particular shot. Rule of thumb is, anything longer than 1/60s can result in a blurry picture due to camera shake, assuming you're not using a tripod.

I compose my shot and half press the shutter button. The shutter speed will be displayed at the bottom of the LCD. If it is longer than 1/60s, I increase the ISO to the next higher setting and try again. Etc. etc. For outdoor pictures in daylight I usually start at ISO 80, and only increase it when necessary.

This is assuming that you're not using the flash. If you are, the F10 fixes the shutter speed at 1/100s, or 1/15s if you use slow sync flash, no matter what the ISO setting is. 1/100s is fine for preventing blurriness due to camera shake. However I often find that, for indoor pictures of people when there is no natural light, the flash power is not strong enough at ISO 80 or 100 unless the subjects are within about 4 feet of the camera. They look underexposed in the picture. So in those situations I usually use ISO 200 or 400.

When do I use natural light?
If you mean the Natural Light Mode on the camera, you can use it anytime you don't want to use a flash, which means that the camera will select the ISO for you depending on how much light there is in the scene. If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty much the same as setting the camera to auto ISO and disabling the flash. Keep in mind, though, that in extreme low light situations, even ISO 1600 might not give you a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blurriness due to camera shake. So watch the shutter speed info on your LCD. Instead of using Natural Light Mode, I prefer disabling the flash and setting the ISO manually, only increasing it when necessary.

If you mean, when should you use natural light from an artistic standpoint, that's totally up to you. I don't like to use it very often. But it comes in handy when you're taking a picture of a person, either against strong backlighting, or when the surroundings are really dark, like in a restaurant at night.

Should I set the exposure compensation by -1/3EV as suggested by the review? Should this setting be permanent?
I haven't set it permanently, at least not yet. I think you can learn to judge when you'll need the exposure compensation. I've found that, in landscape photos, when there is a dark foreground against a bright sky, the -1/3EV compensation often helps. But I haven't found any compensation necessary in shots where there isn't much variation in brightness.

Should I use my flash when the ISO setting is at 1600?
I wouldn't. If I have to use the flash, I stick with ISO 800 or less. I find 1600 too grainy. The only point in using it, for me, is when I don't want to use the flash, the ambient light is very low, and the shutter speed I get with all the lower ISO settings is too slow for me to hand-hold reliably.

What shutter speed should I use depending on the time of day?
I think that, after the sun is up, the shutter speed you should use is dictated more by what you are trying to shoot, rather than the time of day during which you are shooting. If you're shooting a stationary subject, then 1/60s is usually enough to prevent blurriness due to camera shake. If you're trying to freeze the action of a moving object, then you'll want something faster, so switch to Sport Mode and the camera will give priority to faster shutter speeds.

The exception would be at dusk or at night. If you're trying to take a picture of city lights, you'll probably want a shutter speed of 1/2s or slower. In order to get that, you'll have to switch to Night Mode or Long Shutter Mode, and of course, a tripod or something to rest the camera on is a must. The former will select a shutter speed for you; the latter allows you to manually select a shutter speed of 3s or slower.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Digimon
Hope I've helped some.

digimon
07-05-2005, 09:15 AM
:) Thanks for all your help. These tips are great!!!