PDA

View Full Version : Sound Recording in JPEG Header?

Fish7
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Here is something I have been wondering about for awhile.

Do modern cameras generally allow you to record a short sound clip and include that in the actual JPEG header file or are sound recordings limited to separate sound clip files?

I currently have an older Cannon ELF 2MPixel camera w/o any sound recording capability. The camera died recently and I am in the market for a new camera. I also use ACDSee to organize photos on my PC and discovered that it can store sound clips in the JPEG header (makes file organization and sharing over the network fairly clean and logical).

Do newer cameras allow you to make a voice annotation diretly into the JPEG header structure? It would be nice to have the ability to make such an annotation directly after taking the picture rather than in some review mode. In addition to the normal 'kid shots' duty, I also use my camera for documentation in my business, and this feature would really come in handy.

kgosden
09-11-2004, 10:45 AM
All of the cameras that I have owned recorded sound in a seperate file. Both the sound and still photo files were named identically except for the extension. Personally I prefer this as it keeps file sizes manageable. And, more important, many image editing programs would destroy the EXIF header data.

Fish7
09-13-2004, 07:08 AM
You have a good point there. I was a little concerned that the JPEG header seems to only allow uncompressed WAV data which does bloat the image file.

I assume that the sound clip is stored as a .wav file?

Also, I was wondering if the cameras you have used make it easy to record the annotation directly before/after taking the picture, or do you have to traverse a bunch of menus or switch camera modes?