PDA

View Full Version : Picture quality between compact and dSLR?

Stefan
07-08-2004, 07:07 AM
I would like to take pictures of my family and friends and I would like to have high quality pictures. Of course I can expect to get a better picture with a dSLR than a compact camera, but how big is really the difference? Do the best new compact digital cameras come close to the dSLRs?

While scanning the market for what to buy I have narrowed it down to two favorites, one in each category. In the dSLR category I understand that the Canon Digital Rebel (300D in Europe) donít have much competition when it comes to quality/functionality/price. In the digital compact category I fell for the Casio Exilim EX-P600 with its fairly compact size together with, for compact cameras, good picture quality and ďsky-scrapingĒ functionality.

To be able to take a decision about which camera to go for I need help to understand if itís worth to carry the extra SLR weight and volume around, which I will have to do if I go for the dSLR instead of a compact.

I would be happy for some opinions from you experienced people about the picture quality between my favorite two cameras, or dSLRs and compacts in general. I do think the quality in the picture is important, but is the difference that big that it compensates for carrying the extra weight around? (not considering the difference in cost)

Iíll be grateful for opinions!

/Stefan

Iím not native English speaking so please excuse me if the language above not always is as perfect as it could be...

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Your english works fine.

dSLRs, both the DReb and D70 are more bulky than heavy. That said, unless you are planning to print pictures larger than 8 x 10 then you choices really expand into some fine all-in-one cameras. Cameras with 3.2 Megapixels to 5 MegaPixels should work fine.

Here would be my picks:

As a good all-around starter camera try the Canon A-75 (<$300).

For an image-stabilized "super zoom" (10X +) The Canon S1 IS or Panasonic FZ-10. The FZ-10 is a little bulky. Be aware that the Minolta Z-3 may also be in this group when it's released. These are typically <$500.

dSLR picks would be the Nikon D70 and then the Canon Digital Rebal. The Nikon is/was my pick because it offers more features. The dReb will cost about $400 less and is definately no slouch. I would only go this route if you plan to really get into photography as it is an investment, and once you have a few lenses and a speedlight (external flash) you are pretty much committed to stay with your manufacturer choice.

Beyond my favorites, are about 20 very nice all-in-ones, from Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, and etc. that will serve you well. My suggestion is go to a camera store and spend some quality time looking and using cameras that appeal to you visually/physically. Then read the reviews from Jeff, Dave, and Phil, and make your decision based on a little research. Again, from a picture quality point-of-view there are many choices.