PDA

View Full Version : digital rebel & memory card speeds

c4him
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm getting a 6.3 MP Digital Rebel in a few days and I was wondering if it would be better to get a high speed CF card for it. I read somewhere that the read/write speed can possibly affect the resolution of the photos. Is this true? I want to keep the best resolution I can get.
If possible, please let me know within the next few days.

Thanks!

Bluedog
06-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I haven't heard that one but I'd recommend getting the Sandisk Ultra II or Lexar 40X - 80X.

David Metsky
06-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I read somewhere that the read/write speed can possibly affect the resolution of the photos. Is this true?
Nope, not possible. Write speed to the card has nothing to do with the actual bits that get written to the card. It can effect the burst speed of the camera, so you won't be able to take as many frames per second, but the actual images won't be any different.

-dave-

Chucko
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
See Rob Galbraith's database of CF card performance. The Digital Rebel page is here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

The difference between the slowest and fastest cards tested is less than 2:1 on the DRebel, so it may not be worthwhile to get the fastest available card, unless of course you are planning for a faster camera in your future and/or you get a great deal on the card.

As a point of interest, the Digital Rebel XT shows more than a 5:1 improvement in speed between the slowest and fastest cards tested.

c4him
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
I just wanted to say thanks.
I didn't think that the speed would change the resolution, but I just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again!

Loren B P
07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
I don't know if you are still looking for CF cards; but if so, I like the 2 Pretek 1GB 80x that I picked up for use in my Nikon D70s. I paid about $79US from Fry's Electronics (outpost.com). The cards have been very reliable and the high speed transfer, (>12MB/sec), allows for very fast data transfer during multiframe shooting. These were wonderful this past July 4th when I shot the fireworks show I was working on.

ReF
07-07-2005, 01:10 AM
forget about how much the 6.3 d-rebel can make use of the high speed cards from test or whatever. take it from me, an actually owner and frequent user of that camera, the thing is SLOW and needs as much help from high speed cards as it can get! many times i bracket my shots (3 at a time) in demanding situations and the rebel only has enough buffer room to hold 4 RAW images at a time. you'll have to wait around while the camera writes the image to the card, and if your card is slow, the camera isn't writing as fast a possible. even the review mode is slow! take a RAW image, then hit the review button right away. you'll see how long it takes for the camera to display the image; it's bad even with a high speed card and much worse with a regular one. i have both high speed cards and a regular card and i really notice a difference. using the regular card can be agonizing and can even lead to many missed photos if the buffer is at or near capacity(it already happens with the high speed card). i really think the extra $10-$20 for a faster card is REALLY WORTH IT.