PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Nikon D50

slitman
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Anyone heard if the review of the Nikon D50 is still going to be posted today in the Reviews section?

Can't wait for this one! ;)

sherlock
06-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Me neither...I've been looking all day for it!

nooner
06-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Looks like Jeff can't make it happen. He may go on vacation before he has time. Bummer. :(

slitman
06-28-2005, 03:27 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! :)

The review has been posted, thanks Jeff!

Bluedog
06-28-2005, 04:59 AM
The D50 does look to be a very nice camera but:

1. No backlight for the LCD info display < would be an issue in low light situations.

2. Included software doesn't allow for RAW image manipulation < what the heck is Nikon thinking on this one? I know more money in their greedy palms.

erichlund
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
The D50 does look to be a very nice camera but:

1. No backlight for the LCD info display < would be an issue in low light situations.

2. Included software doesn't allow for RAW image manipulation < what the heck is Nikon thinking on this one? I know more money in their greedy palms.

#1 seems kinda dumb. #2 is the same with the D70 / D70s. Picture Project (included) can, I think, load the NEF's, but you can't do much with them. Nikon View can do more, and it's a free download from Nikon (http://www.nikonusa.com) . Nikon Capture is included as a demo with the D70. I don't know if it is with the D50. However, you still have to buy it, and it's about $99. There are other RAW handlers, including the free RAW Essentials.

Cheers,
Eric

sherlock
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks Jeff!

Warin
06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Just a note:

Nikon will be upgrading to Nikon Capture 4.3, which should be a free upgrade, at least in the US market. (free to registered owners of NC 4.2, that is)

Not sure about Canada yet.

erichlund
06-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Just a note:

Nikon will be upgrading to Nikon Capture 4.3, which should be a free upgrade, at least in the US market. (free to registered owners of NC 4.2, that is)

Not sure about Canada yet.

Actually, it's "has upgraded". It's available on line and the upgrade is free to registered owners. The download indicates it's the demo version, and if you are not a registered owner, then it will only work for 30 days, but if you are registered, it will just update you current installation to 4.3. If you get the demo, you can purchase the license from Nikon, install it, and you will have the complete, registered application.

Cheers,
Eric

DiJ
07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Looks like an excellent camera. The samples here are as good as I seen. I noticed Nikon made quite in improvement to the jpeg processing and image noise on this model. I tried one yesterday and it just feels good like a smaller and lighter D70.

I wonder how many here already had this camera. Feedbacks?

Grog
07-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Any of the Photo shop programs would be better for editing picture taken with your DSLR than the programs the manufactor put out. These or only included for people who don't have a photo editing program anyway. Don't load these programs into your computer. Also to see RAW picture MS has a free downloadable add in that allows you to view them on your computer.
Photo Shop Elements has an addin that allows you to use these picture also.

erichlund
07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Any of the Photo shop programs would be better for editing picture taken with your DSLR than the programs the manufactor put out. These or only included for people who don't have a photo editing program anyway. Don't load these programs into your computer. Also to see RAW picture MS has a free downloadable add in that allows you to view them on your computer.
Photo Shop Elements has an addin that allows you to use these picture also.

Unless, of course, your software budget is less than $600. PSP 9 is about $120. Nikon Capture is $99. If you understand the controls on your camera, then Capture is very intuitive. PSP 9 does most of what you can do in PS, at about 1/5 the cost.

Please don't tell me what to load on my computer. I'll make my own decisions, thank you very much.

As for the MS add-in, as far as I can tell, as soon as you have edited the photo, the NEF viewer can't display the thumbnail anymore. Seems a bit goofy, but it's a first try, so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Eric

jeisner
07-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Unless, of course, your software budget is less than $600. PSP 9 is about $120. Nikon Capture is $99. If you understand the controls on your camera, then Capture is very intuitive. PSP 9 does most of what you can do in PS, at about 1/5 the cost.

Further to this point, if looking to save money and get good image editing software...

I use the gimp rather than photoshop... its free and capable enough for my needs.

For RAW processing I use Bibble, its a great RAW processing tool in my opinion and one of the few that supports linux :-) it costs US$69 and I think it supports all current DSLRs

feetman
08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Why pay when a nice little app is FREE? :eek:

ViewRAW, has a great support for NIKON digital SLR's. Similar use and function as ACDsee. VERY POWERFUL!

http://viewraw.photosapien.com/