PDA

View Full Version : CF card for d70

kwizzles
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
hi, i lately bought a nikon d70 but i still need a compact flash card. since
i want to make use of the RAW feature i want a 2048mb card

i heard about different speed cards, what do i have to keep in mind?
and how much does the different cards vary when i am doing pictures in burst mode?

D70FAN
09-13-2004, 12:45 PM
hi, i lately bought a nikon d70 but i still need a compact flash card. since
i want to make use of the RAW feature i want a 2048mb card

i heard about different speed cards, what do i have to keep in mind?
and how much does the different cards vary when i am doing pictures in burst mode?

Typically I use standard speed memory card for normal single-frame shooting and have 1 Ultra II high speed card for times when I shoot in continuous mode (like sports or shooting other high speed events).

I try to put no more than about 60-80 shots on one card, just to be on the safe side. Yes, I have had a couple of cards fail (one SD card and one CF card) and both by reputable manufacturers. So it does happen. Luckily in both cases the cards failed after download.

So you might want to buy two 1GB CF cards and split them up into 1 high speed and 1 low speed. Actually I have 2-256MB and 1-512MB "standard" cards and 1 256MB Ultra II. I rarely need the UltraII speed.

Since 512MB cards will give you about 90 shots in RAW, you may want to opt for this size to start. I just picked up a 512MB standard CF from Kingston for $34 after rebate, so you can see they are getting pretty cheap. The best I've seen for 1GB cards is around $90.

Also using RAW for every shot can get very tedious, so typically my "snapshots" are taken in fine JPEG, and "photographs" that I want to print on large format (13 x 17 or larger) are taken in RAW+JPEG. It's so easy to change on the D70 that it just becomes second nature afer a while. When you have a whole vacation of RAW+JPEG to edit you will see what I mean.