PDA

View Full Version : Warranty?

jirka
07-07-2004, 06:46 PM
I want to buy Olympus C-765 camera. They sell it on 17th Street photo for $380 with the standard 1 year warranty. They offer additional 2 years warranty for $70 - nearly 20% of the camera price. Do you think it is worth it? I have no idea how often these things go wrong.

Thanks for any comments
Jirka

Jake Conner
07-07-2004, 06:53 PM
No. Assuming it would be honored -- and that's assuming a lot! -- I might -- MIGHT -- buy 4 years for that price. Certainly not 2. Extended warranties are pushed so hard because they are huge profit for everyone but the consumer.

Jake

Nick
07-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Depends what kind of warranty. I bought my D70 with a 4 year carry in plan for 150. If you spill water on it, bump it too hard, whatever, bring it in and they give you a new one. I've tested their warranty before - bought phones, cameras, and speakers from them, and they honor it. It covers wear + tear, which is good, and you don't have to send it to Nikon. Make sure what it covers before you buy it :)

Rhys
07-09-2004, 10:36 AM
In my experience, warranties are not worth the paper they're written on.

Ok. Let's take an extreme example: www.jessops.co.uk sell a cheap digital camera. The extended warranty costs twice the price of the camera. Aside from the fact that such a cheap camera should fall free from a cereal packet and not have to be purchased, the warranty is pretty well useless. The camera's a cheap all-in-one so any claim on the warranty (assuming the 5 year warranty was chosen) would be pointless as by the end of the 3rd year, the camera would be out of production and unrepairable.

Let's take another example: I bought an electronic typewriter, some years ago. It never worked properly and the shop after insisting I purchased a new ribbon then insisted that I should buy a gizmo to add onto the typewriter. Well, that was a bridge too far. That typewriter did not work etc. The warranty was for a year. The failure was within three days. Even the statutory warrenty seemed hard to get out of that shop. I was passed to the manufacturer who had never heard of the warranty and who'd stopped making that model two years previously and had no intention of honouring the warranty. The shop refused to replace/repair. The judge took a different view and awarded costs, damages and a refund. Unsurprisingly, the shop went bankrupt a couple of years later - and yes, I did get my money back. There was no victory there. Everybody was a loser. I lost time, effort and energy pursuing that shop.

So when somebody says warranty, don't be surprised if I roll on the floor, clutching my sides and roar with mirth.

booshank
08-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Extended warranties are unfortunately the subject of a lot of myths, mostly originating with bearded, Which? reading men who wear their glasses on cords and think they so much cleverer that everyone else.

Rys obviously does not know what he is talking about and strikes me as one of the above. A 100 - 200 pound digital camera from Jessops would have a 3 year extended warranty costing 30 pounds. Since when is 30 more than 100? As I've seen so many cameras dropped and beyond economic repair I'd say it was well worth it.

zakelua
08-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I have found that the extended protection plans at circuitcity to be the best. If they cant fix it they replace it. When i had a problem with my canon they sent me a shipping label and a box.....a week later they sent my camera back with the problem fixed. I havent had a problem since.

ReF
08-28-2005, 05:52 PM
i don't recommend extended warranties in general. if they clearly cover physical damage or water damage, then i would think about it. but most warranties don't cover those problems. i've worked electronics retail for a year and a half and i only knew one employee who ever purchased an extended warranty: the manager (it probably helped his numbers too). from the examples i've seen, camera manufacturers as well as the parties responsible for honoring warranty repairs seem to jump on the chance to say that damages are associated with physical damage (when it's obviously not)and therefore cannot honor repairs.

another thing to consider: in another two years the newer cameras will look so much better that you might wish you put that extended warranty cost towards buying the new models! BTW, doens't $380 seem a bit expensive for a camera that is a bit outdated? not to disrespect your buying decision, but couldn't you put that warranty cost + $380 and buy a newer, better camera, like one with a stabilizer?

booshank
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Well obviously one must check whether the warranty covers accidental damage, as its usefullness is limited if it doesn't.

I was just making the point that not ALL extended warranties are a rip off, as many people seem to believe (mostly informed by Which? and other reviewers of discontinued cameras, lol).

Of course I would never recommend such a thing, but at the end of the period covered by the warranty one could always drop one's now long superceded camera to get a replacement....