PDA

View Full Version : Photo phenomenon with S2IS.

Wesan
06-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi.

When I looked at the sample photos taken by the Canon S2IS on a Swedish camera site, I noticed something that I'd like to call "photo phenomenon" in a photo taken at full zoom. It looks like the lampposts are "wrinkly". :confused: You can also notice it in the signs saying "Kakel & Design" and "Frisör". I saw the same thing with the Sony DSC-H1 and the Panasonic DMC-FZ5. Has anyone else noticed the same phenomenon? Can anyone explain it? You can view the photo taken by the S2IS at this address:

http://www.cyberphoto.se/bildexempel/s2is/IMG_0219.JPG

Wesan

Montana
06-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I think those are called "jaggies". They are digital artifacts.

Wesan
06-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I see. Thank you for your reply. It looks like those digitial artefacts show more at full zoom than at wide angle. :confused: Why is that? How do digital artefacts occur? It makes the photo look like a drawing made with watercolour, sort of. :eek:

Wesan
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Another question: Does anyone know, if these digital artefacts occur with the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 too? If so, do they show more or less than on Canon S2IS?

bluevolume
06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Another question: Does anyone know, if these digital artefacts occur with the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 too? If so, do they show more or less than on Canon S2IS?

You will see digital artifacts to some degree on any digital camera, though better cameras will obviously show less. There are some here that will say the Panasonic will provide a truer picture, but the S2 takes great pics as well.

The picture you linked to is terrible, I wouldn't use that as a reference of what the S2 is capable of.