PDA

View Full Version : Canon A75 shot really dark in AUTO mode....HELP

section1
09-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi all

i recently bought Canon A75 digital camera and mostly i worked in AUTO mode.

for few days it worked great BUT suddenly i noticed that the pictures i shot get rellay DARK (when shot with flash).
when i disable the flash in AUTO mode i get great pics.

* in all other camera modes the pics shot great with & without flash.

does any1 get the same problem OR know how to fix it OR i should get it to a LAB.

10x in advanced

noujwas
09-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Can you show us an example?

felix
12-02-2004, 07:05 PM
just got back from a trip where my new A75 started doing what you describe. first intermitantly in P mode and then in all modes except Manual. Just sent it off to Canon for waranty repair.

xxaaqq
02-13-2005, 08:41 PM
I have had a Canon S70 for a few weeks, and started to notice this problem. Photos taken with the flash are coming out almost completely black in AUTO mode. Without flash, the photos are poor quality, so either way, they are basically unusable.

http://www.jcbeck.com/images.asp?i=/images/bulletin/CanonS70DarkSample.jpg

Dave Clark
02-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I would expect the flash only to work up to about 10 ft. This looks farther. Check your manual on the distance the flash works.

xxaaqq
02-14-2005, 07:31 AM
While I don't expect the flash to have much of an effect beyond 10 feet, I don't understand why a fairly well lit room turns into a pitch black room in the photograph when using flash. This is my fourth digital camera, and none of my previous cameras did this. Here's an example of a photo taken with a Fuji Finepix 4700 Zoom in a similarly lit room.

http://www.jcbeck.com/photos/images.asp?gallery_id=11&page=1&imageName=ClintAmazedByBalloon.jpg

Obviously flash isn't going to do much, but that doesn't mean the photo has to be ruined.

Rich
02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I have just the opposite problems with my A85...too much flash in !! To me it looks like your flash is either not working at all or very little. Notice that some of the pics have no reflection in the eyes..means no flash to me.

Rich
02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I just thought of a possible problem...in "auto" on the A85 (probably the same on A75) you can't "force the flash". In other words, there is only two choices for flash in "auto" camera mode...either Flash auto or flash off. Flash auto means the camera desides when you need flash...it turns the flash on in low light and at the same time sets the camera to 1/60 of a second f2.8. If there is enough light (or the camera MISTAKENLY thinks there is enough light) the camera with shoot without the flash. On the A85 in all modes but "auto" and "manual" ie: P,A, and S there are (3) choices for flash "auto" flash(#1)...camera decides if flash is needed(lightningbolt with an A)..."plain" flash(#2)...you decide (just lightningbolt)(this is "forced flash"--also sets to 1/60 or faster and f2.8) and flash off(#3). Hope this makes sense. I think in your wedding pics the camera(in the "auto" camera mode) decided to turn the flash off. It thought there was enough light to shoot without flash. Using the P, A or S mode and setting the flash to "lightning bolt without the little A) will "force" the flash. Incidently this "forced mode" in P,A or S still adjust the flash level (power)automatically(unlike the Manual camera mode).

xxaaqq
02-15-2005, 08:09 AM
From what I've gathered from other forum discussions, my problem was probably caused by the camera locking the shutter speed to 1/60th or faster and setting the aperture to F5.3 or higher when using flash in automatic mode. In addition, using zoom caused darker photos. For this situation, if getting closer is not an option, then zoom should be set at wide angle, flash disabled, and if comfortable with the settings, decrease aperture to F2.8, increase sensitivity to ISO200 or ISO400 if noise won't be too much of a problem, and also possibly slow shutter below the 1/60th limit, with a steady hand or tripod.

The photos that came out: 2005 Sweet Occasion Bridal Extravaganza (http://www.jcbeck.com/photos/gallery.asp?gallery_id=168)

gary_hendricks
02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Increase the ISO, and decrease the aperture. Then slow down the shutter speed.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 03:44 AM
Hi all

i recently bought Canon A75 digital camera and mostly i worked in AUTO mode.

for few days it worked great BUT suddenly i noticed that the pictures i shot get rellay DARK (when shot with flash).
when i disable the flash in AUTO mode i get great pics.

* in all other camera modes the pics shot great with & without flash.

does any1 get the same problem OR know how to fix it OR i should get it to a LAB.

10x in advanced

You want to post some pics so I can understand your problem?

jeffk
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem in Auto mode with the pictures being dark when I would shot pictures with the flash. Camera was brand new and I used it only for one evening before it broke on my. I shot about 80 pictures that night and around the 67th picture, this is when the images began to show up dark even though I was sure the flash had been coming on.

I tried to fix through knowledge from the internet but I never found anyone successfully solve this problem so I ended up bringing the camera into the Canon Factory Repair shop where they fixed it for free since it was still under warranty. They diagnosed the problem as a bad flash unit and replaced it. I haven't picked up the camera yet but I am concerned as to why this could have gone bad so quickly. Any others out there with A75's where the camera has gone throught a few flash units?

cbettencourt@sympatico.ca
03-05-2005, 06:08 PM
After 2 months my camera just broke today. During my 3 year old's birthday party no less !! I am not happy to say the least! I must have fiddled with every setting thinking that I had inadvertantly changed something. Sure enough, when the flash is used during auto, the image is FAR too dark, yet will often come out fine without the flash. Problem is when you're actually in a dark situation that you need the flash, you're pooched. Off to Canon it goes. Can't say I'll be eager to buy another Canon product after this experience, thats for sure!

nonac
05-28-2005, 09:39 PM
I am wondering if anyone has brought their A75 for a fix and has any update if it's fixed. I am having the same problem of underexposed picture using Auto mode with flash on. It never had the problem before until today. Thanks for any info or input.

cbettencourt@sympatico.ca
05-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Well this post is long overdue lol. I sent my camera in for warranty work. The "Flash Module" was replaced and now the camera works perfectly again. However it did take 6 weeks for me to get it back. Hope this helps.