PDA

View Full Version : First shots from my new D50 w/kit lens

shamanictea
06-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Thought some folk here might be interested so I posted some D50 shots I took last night after work to my pbase site. None of the pictures have had any color correction applied and the last one, an ISO 1600 sample, is straight out of the camera.

www.pbase.com/woodbetweenworlds

Just a quick note, even though shooting conditions were not ideal, I'm happy with what I'm seeing off the bat. I recently sold a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) after my father offered me the use of some of his Nikon lenses. First impression is that I like the way the D50 feels in the hand.

D70FAN
06-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Thought some folk here might be interested so I posted some D50 shots I took last night after work to my pbase site. None of the pictures have had any color correction applied and the last one, an ISO 1600 sample, is straight out of the camera.

Just a quick note, even though shooting conditions were not ideal, I'm happy with what I'm seeing off the bat. I recently sold a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) after my father offered me the use of some of his Nikon lenses. First impression is that I like the way the D50 feels in the hand.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Have fun.

speaklightly
06-20-2005, 07:07 PM
shamanictea-

Thanks for sharing. The photos look great. When I was in Hong Kong last week, there were no D-50's available. So these are the very first D-50 photos that I have seen. What do you think, George, does the D-50 beat the D-70?

At least our collection of Nikon lenses will work with the D-50. Here is a great Fuji F-10 photo for you.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly
06-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Oops, I guess the phot did not attach properly.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
shamanictea-

Thanks for sharing. The photos look great. When I was in Hong Kong last week, there were no D-50's available. So these are the very first D-50 photos that I have seen. What do you think, George, does the D-50 beat the D-70?

Sarah Joyce

Only in some basic areas like larger LCD and USB2.0HS. As far as features I think that Nikon detuned the D50 enough to differentiate. As far as picture quality, from what I've seen, they are the same (same sensor). Leaving the backlight off of the info LCD was a little weird. not something I use often, but it is nice to have.

aparmley
06-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Very nice indeed. I also enjoyed seeing Jeff's shots with the D50... its looking very impressive...

erichlund
06-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Only in some basic areas like larger LCD and USB2.0HS. As far as features I think that Nikon detuned the D50 enough to differentiate. As far as picture quality, from what I've seen, they are the same (same sensor). Leaving the backlight off of the info LCD was a little weird. not something I use often, but it is nice to have.

I suspect they may have tuned the sensor a bit to get the better noise performance. Nobody's saying anything yet about moire, so maybe they fixed that as well. Since the D70s and D50 came out at the same time, I wonder that they didn't make adjustments to both. This might be a case of a "dumbed down" camera that actually, occasionally, under certain limited conditions, takes a better picture.

I agree about the backlight. That seems like one of those dumb decisions made in a back room by an accountant who's never touched a camera, and it just slipped by the normally sensible management.

Cheers,
Eric

Charles C. Weston
06-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Please Eric, many accountants are photographers too.

shamanictea
06-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the nice comments folks. I shot a bunch of Raw photos last night but haven't had time to process the files yet. I do like the way the camera handles very much.

I like what David Pogue in the NYTimes said about Nikon leaving the little light off of the D50, something along the lines of just raise the price .85 cents and put it back in!

erichlund
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Please Eric, many accountants are photographers too.

True. My Bachelor degree is management with emphasis in finance. However, not ALL accountants are photographers. The point I was making is that it's likely the decision was made for financial reasons without regard to its utility to a photographer. I would hope, perhaps unjustifiably, that a photographer would not have made that choice.

Cheers,
Eric

Charles C. Weston
06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
True. My Bachelor degree is management with emphasis in finance. However, not ALL accountants are photographers. The point I was making is that it's likely the decision was made for financial reasons without regard to its utility to a photographer. I would hope, perhaps unjustifiably, that a photographer would not have made that choice.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric ,
You are quite right. I agree many decisions are made for the wrong reasons. If only we photographers could make all the design decisions.

Pip pip
Charles

Cold Snail
06-22-2005, 01:44 AM

A good start finding your way around your new camera, so what Nikkors do you have access to?

shamanictea
06-22-2005, 01:14 PM
12-24 Dx
24-120 Vr
70-200 Vr
50 1.4

D70FAN
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
12-24 Dx
24-120 Vr
70-200 Vr
50 1.4

Yup. Those should get you by. You are fortunate to have access to some very good glass.

shamanictea
06-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I really am. Once I knew I could have access to those lenses, selling my 350D was a no brainer.

Cold Snail
06-23-2005, 06:05 AM
That's a superb selection, if you want to add a macro lens to that list, get a 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor.

I met up with a magazine lens tester at the weekend and borrowed two lenses from him (a 500mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor as well) and was simply blown away with the quality of the 200.

These were taken as is, I sharpened them later on. (and not by much)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/Macrofly.jpg

100% crop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/Macroflycrop.jpg

D70FAN
06-23-2005, 06:35 AM
That's a superb selection, if you want to add a macro lens to that list, get a 200mm f/4D ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor.

I met up with a magazine lens tester at the weekend and borrowed two lenses from him (a 500mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor as well) and was simply blown away with the quality of the 200.

These were taken as is, I sharpened them later on. (and not by much)

And that, my freinds, is how it's done. Truly amazing picture quality. For those in the market...

The 200mm is about $1300 (not real bad). And for $7195 you can throw in the 500 (or buy the 200 and a D2X and use it in HS crop ;) ).

shamanictea
06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Wonderful pic Paul.