PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 - diff pricing for silver vs. black

MotoBusa
09-08-2004, 09:38 PM
The following URL (if it works) shows three "vendors" who claim to have the FZ-20 (each with a different price) starting as low as $495. After clicking, I found that the price was for the silver only and the black was nearly $100 more.

Moreover, each of the three vendors appear to really be the same (?) (page designed by the same company anyway.) The "three vendors" are A&M Photo World, Digital Liquidators, and Broadway Photo. Does anyone have experience with any of the three vendors? Is it common for the silver versions to be so much cheaper? Does this smell legit or should someone be wary of buying from them?

http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Digital_Cameras/5.3_Megapixels/SP2433612.html

FWIW, Circuit City has it listed again at $599

Thanks!

Rob

isis
09-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Hi Rob,
I've noticed this different pricing for silver vs. black before on Broadway Photo's web site when I was shopping for the FZ10. I was just about to buy when the FZ 15 & FZ 20 were announced. I talked to Broadway Photo on the phone once and they were very helpful and professional.

I don't know anything about the other two vendors you mentioned.

Marcia

John_Reed
09-09-2004, 12:59 AM
The following URL (if it works) shows three "vendors" who claim to have the FZ-20 (each with a different price) starting as low as $495. After clicking, I found that the price was for the silver only and the black was nearly $100 more.

Moreover, each of the three vendors appear to really be the same (?) (page designed by the same company anyway.) The "three vendors" are A&M Photo World, Digital Liquidators, and Broadway Photo. Does anyone have experience with any of the three vendors? Is it common for the silver versions to be so much cheaper? Does this smell legit or should someone be wary of buying from them?

http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Digital_Cameras/5.3_Megapixels/SP2433612.html

FWIW, Circuit City has it listed again at $599

Thanks!

RobRight now, it seems academic, since I think only Circuit City actually has any stock of FZ20 cameras to move. If you see the same pricing differential after there are really some cameras on the shelf, I'd think $100 differential for silver v. black would be excessive. :(

dcshopper
09-09-2004, 01:29 AM
I tried buying the FZ20 at A&M Photo World - not good. The next day I received an email saying to call to "verify" my order. I did and got an answering machine and left a message. About 15 minutes later I got an email saying "sorry I missed your call." Obviously they didn't want to call me back. I called again and got the same answering machine. In the meantime, I Googled their name and read dozens of posts where customers where totally dissatisfied and frustrated with the company. Apparently, their prices often don't include the battery or recharger, or their product is the European version, or they can't deliver it for weeks because it's shipped from Europe. I eventually spoke to someone and cancelled my order. Buyer beware.

buzz
09-09-2004, 03:30 PM
I would not recommend buying from A&M, digital liquidators or broadway.

You can read customer reviews on all of these vendors here.

A&M - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

digital liquidators - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

broadway - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

MotoBusa
09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll tread lightly and do my due diligence. If only Circuit City would list it for $539 again! I have the page bookmarked and check it regularly! :o

John_Reed
09-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll tread lightly and do my due diligence. If only Circuit City would list it for $539 again! I have the page bookmarked and check it regularly! :oDon't wait too long. I paid full retail for my first FZ1, and full retail again for my FZ10. And they were both worth every penny of it. If you have to delay your FZ fun for 3 months just pining away, waiting for the price to drop on a high-demand camera, $60 might seem like a cheap alternative.

judge9847
09-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Don't wait too long. I paid full retail for my first FZ1, and full retail again for my FZ10. And they were both worth every penny of it. If you have to delay your FZ fun for 3 months just pining away, waiting for the price to drop on a high-demand camera, $60 might seem like a cheap alternative.
Once again, I believe John's got it right. I'm in the UK and we didn't see the FZ10 until March of this year and even then, supplies were very limited indeed. After the initial release there hasn't been a sign of any more being delivered to retailers and as a consequence, the price never had a chance to drop. In fact, one web site that monitors prices of electronic items actually had the price rising a little!

If you want your FZ20, I reckon you should go get it while you can !

Effzeeone
09-30-2004, 09:55 AM
The price difference in FZ camera colors has always been that way -- there was as much as $100 difference in price between the black and silver FZ1 as well.

If you want the more expensive color, you can always do what I did -- buy the cheaper color first, use it for a year, and then buy the more expensive color when the price goes down and sell the first camera on Ebay (probably for more than you paid for the second camera). That's exactly what I did, and in the end I got the color I wanted with and a new camera for no money out of pocket in the end (I actually made money on the deal).

patenmac
01-05-2005, 08:19 AM
I ordered the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 after reading the review here and seeing Broadway's ad in MacWorld and MacAddict. Ad price was $424.99 but their web page price was $469.99. 5 days after I placed my order on the web, I called to check status and they tried to hard sell me over priced batteries and memory cards. I refused but they said they would ship the camera the same day as it was in stock. I called again the next day to follow up and they said the camera was not in stock. I canceled my order. Classic bait & switch. I'm sure the camera would have been in stock if I had bought one of their over priced batteries.

Buyer beware!

I would not recommend buying from A&M, digital liquidators or broadway.

You can read customer reviews on all of these vendors here.

A&M - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

digital liquidators - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

broadway - http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html :(

erkman
01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
I also ordered with broadway, got the bait scam via email, did some research, immediatly called my credit card company and restricted any use on it, then called and cancelled with broadway, they are a big scam. I am surprised they actually let me cancel with no problems Purchased the camera yesterday for $30 more from adorama and it is on the way right now!

sgoldste01
01-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I just ordered my FZ20 from Vann's (www.vanns.com) for US $530. Same price, regardless of color, and both colors in stock. I ordered a silver, but don't feel strongly either way.

1SFG
01-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I bought a black FZ20 from these guys last week. Came within days of ordering - and was as described on the ad. Can't say enough about them and by far the best price i've seen anywhere on this camera!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30019&item=3865204947&rd=1

I just ordered my FZ20 from Vann's (www.vanns.com) for US $530. Same price, regardless of color, and both colors in stock. I ordered a silver, but don't feel strongly either way.

Bob423
01-05-2005, 12:23 PM
According to their e-Bay ad, they have one to offer at that price. On their website the price is $599. It's a great price if it's new and not a return.

Shenook
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
If you go to www.pricegrabber.com you can get four or five places that have it for under $500. Cheapest today was $469 and $480 shipped. Not too bad. Some reputable names on the list take a look.

Bob423
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
I bought mine from Focus Camera for $485.99 on 12/8/04. You shouldn't have to ever pay more than $500. It came promptly and was well packaged, lots of air bags.

Regards, Bob

shu246
01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
got mine at
http://www.abesofmaine.com
decent price, shipped in a few days no problem; did get phone call trying to add batteries and memory etc. (which i had arranged already for elsewhere) but not what i would call a hard-sell.

CoolRabbit
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I just ordered a black FZ20 from BH Photo, price was $499 and they shipped today.

frumious
01-06-2005, 02:12 AM
I've had reasonably good puchase experiences from 42nd Street Photo. I have purchase two FZ20's from them - the first for my daughter and the second for me. Both were black models one priced at $469 and the other, two weeks later, at $493. I notice the price is back down again. I purchased an additional package of extra battery, 128MB card, 2 lens cleaner kits, nice camera case, LCD protector film for $79 - not too pricey and more useful items compared to other stores' add-ons. So I did not get hassled to buy more extras when, yes, I had to call to "confirm the order". As soon as the painless toll-free call was done, they shipped quickly. A good enough experience. A good price. P.S. This camera is everything good that the reviews say it is. Never before have I been able to get such a high percentage of excellent shots. :)

btary
01-07-2005, 12:31 PM
It's just following the economic law of supply and demand. The black has more demand than silver and the store can gain more profit when sell the black. That's all.

Sorry my English not good :o

TheObiJuan
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I am forced to wait for best buy to pick it up or CC to drop its price, I want an extended warranty. I have purchased it for all of my cameras and find it invaluable.'

cincyimages
01-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Ordered my FZ20 from Amazon.com for $539 which went through Vann's. I wanted Black so I paid extra.

NYC Jim
01-07-2005, 08:01 PM
i bought my black fz20 at circuit city for $492 as they price-matched b&h's 499 (minus 10% of the difference from their 569). of course, i live in nyc, land of b&h, and circuit city only price-matches physical stores, not online ones.

wonder if cc limits their price-matching policy to physical stores within a certain radius? if not, all you folks in cincy and tx and everywhere else should just be able to bring the b&h price to your local cc and they will match it.

anyway, this is just an excuse to post a picture taken with my new favorite camera of our favorite (and only) cat.

junji98
01-07-2005, 08:19 PM
i did the exact same thing at CC NJ with a printout from B&H. same price of 492$. came to around 500$ with tax. and it was the black one :)

i love this camera...

:)

tudacee
01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
As of today, Circuit City went down to 527...

Before Xmas it was 509...sigh! But, I didn't have the gift cards then...waiting to see if it will go down to that again! PLEASE!!!
:D

dee

maggie
01-21-2005, 08:10 PM
I ordered a Panasonic FZ15 from Butterfly Photo out of New York, ordered it on a Friday and received it the next Wednesday. Great tranaction and the price was right. Looked at the FZ20 at Circuit City, you can beat the price if you don't mind buying over the internet. The FZ 15 is basically the same camera as the FZ20 except is is 4 mp.