PDA

View Full Version : Photo Numbering Changes when erasing SD card

Bob423
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
I've noticed than when I execute a Move command using an SD card reader, the photos are moved to the hard drive and the SD card folder (typically 100_PANA) is emptied. The folder is left intact but empty. So far, so good.

Continued transfering of photos this way allows reuse of the same folder on the SD card with the photo numbers being incremented as you would expect.

However, when I do a copy to the hard drive and later delete the photos on the SD card using windows explorer, I notice that the next time I take photos with my FZ-20, that the camera has created a new folder. For example, 101_PANA.

I now have three folders on my SD card, 100_PANA, 101_PANA and 102_PANA. Likewise, the photo numbers are changed accordingly. The first three digits of the photo number are the same as the folder number. I would rather just keep all photo numbers in sequence.

Does any know how to keep using the same folder and photo numbering sequence when doing a copy and a later delete command with windows explorer?

Regards, Bob

wholmes
06-17-2005, 11:37 AM
I copy from the camera with Windows Explorer then delete the images on the SD card with the camera. This has preserved the numbering system to date. Hope this helps.

emalvick
06-17-2005, 11:45 AM
All of the photo numbers are in sequence. That is the way the camera works. Once you reach 1000 photos, it puts them into a new folder.

For instance. You just took a photo and it is in folder 100_PANA, and it is called P1000999.jpg. The next photo will be put in a folder 101_PANA, and it will be called 1010000.jpg. While they are in separate folders, if you put them all into one folder, they would all be in sequence, and you would not have any duplicate file names.

You aren't doing anything that is causing the folder numbers to change other than taking photos. Every 1000 photos leads to a new folder, 100, 101, 102 as you describe. This is in the firmware. All you can do is rename the photos yourself once you download them and put them into one folder if that is what you want. You should delete the older folders too off the camera, and format the disc in the camera once in awhile too.

Erik

Bob423
06-17-2005, 04:00 PM
emalvick

The minor problem I'm having is that a new folder is created by the camera whenever the contents of a folder on the SD card is deleted (the old folder is still there). The new folder is created even if I have taken only a few photos in the old foldler (e.g., 100 or so for the last instance).

However, when I use the same card reader and use the "Move" command in Windows Explorer, a new folder is not created by the camera when taking more pictures. New photos are continued to stored in the old folder with corrent the photo numbering sequence intact.

A new folder is created by the camera only when I use the "Copy" command followed by the "Delete" command (for the contents of the old folder, not the folder itself).

I was just wondering if anyone else saw this behavior and did they know why and how to prevent it from happening. I can always rename the files, I just wanted an easier way.

Normally, all this is not a problem since I usually just use the "Move" command but when visiting elsewhere and I wish to retain a copy on the SD card, I use the copy command instead.

Regards, Bob

emalvick
06-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I almost only use the copy command, and I have not had those problems you described (at least not that I have noticed). I don't use the delete though, rather I use the camera to delete or format the card.

I'm interested in finding out if this is common.

Erik

StanStan
06-18-2005, 07:37 AM
My Method:

In a card reader I COPY all the pictures to a USB hard drive [that is turned off except for this copy] to a file named 'FZ20' Here all the pictures are in numerical order. No post processed images in this file. Only the original images straight out of the camera. Then I write protect the files and copy to CDR periodically for archiving.

I then COPY all the pictures to my hard drive to a folder: YY-MM-DD [year month day TODAY: 05-18-18]. I then write protect the images!!!!

I do any deleting, post processing on the hard drive always preserving the write protected original image.

I have had problems with flash cards resulting in the loss of images. I now always REFORMAT the card in the camera before use. I NEVER add new images to a card that has had files changed. I never edit the pictures on the card outside the camera. In fact I do not change the images or files on the card EVER.

I do not change the file structure that Pana dictates. My last image is P1110849.JPG: IE a lot of pictures. Of course the PP images have unique file names.

Thus the images are on my hard drive, on my USB hard drive and on a CDR. Hope never to loose an image again.

meillana
06-19-2005, 07:27 PM
My Method:

In a card reader I COPY all the pictures to a USB hard drive [that is turned off except for this copy] to a file named 'FZ20' Here all the pictures are in numerical order. No post processed images in this file. Only the original images straight out of the camera. Then I write protect the files and copy to CDR periodically for archiving.

I then COPY all the pictures to my hard drive to a folder: YY-MM-DD [year month day TODAY: 05-18-18]. I then write protect the images!!!!

I do any deleting, post processing on the hard drive always preserving the write protected original image.

I have had problems with flash cards resulting in the loss of images. I now always REFORMAT the card in the camera before use. I NEVER add new images to a card that has had files changed. I never edit the pictures on the card outside the camera. In fact I do not change the images or files on the card EVER.

I do not change the file structure that Pana dictates. My last image is P1110849.JPG: IE a lot of pictures. Of course the PP images have unique file names.

Thus the images are on my hard drive, on my USB hard drive and on a CDR. Hope never to loose an image again.

very, very sensible. as a newbie, thanks for the tip.

StanStan
07-25-2005, 06:08 PM
As usual I copied images from my card yesterday. Reformatted card in FZ20. Today I took more pictures. Yesterday's file numbers are the same as today's.

Thus I have many duplicate file numbers with different images.

When I tried to copy files to my external hard drive windows XP issued a warning that I was about to overwrite existing write protected files. IE Two different images with the same file name. Today's file Numbers started off withe the same starting number as yesterday's!!!!!! Why???

Any solution out there?

Stan

genece
07-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Stan
I do not have a real answer to the duplicate number.
But what I do is when I move or copy the files to the computer ,I put them in a folder with todays date. Then tommorrows folder is a day later so while the number may be duplicated its in another folder so its not overwritten.
And the while the duplicate number does not happen very often,if you notice it did, just rename all the files in the 2nd folder. Add an A or something.

StanStan
07-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Stan
I do not have a real answer to the duplicate number.
But what I do is when I move or copy the files to the computer ,I put them in a folder with todays date. Then tomorrows folder is a day later so while the number may be duplicated its in another folder so its not overwritten.
And the while the duplicate number does not happen very often,if you notice it did, just rename all the files in the 2nd folder. Add an A or something.
I have already added a Z to the end. So in my sequential file I have the file and the file with a Z When I tried to copy to my sequential file, XP came up with the warning 'Do you really want to overwrite a write protected file' Then I knew I had a problem. Also I do copy the card to a dated file 05-07-25 for today which means I really did not lose any files. Cannot figure out why I have duplicate file numbers. The sequential file is on an external hard disk for archiving. The dated files are on the internal hard disk. I burn to CDR when I get the urge. Still looking at a DVD r/w external to carry around.

Thanks Gene

Stan

genece
07-26-2005, 05:52 AM
Yes Stan.
I do not understand why that happens.
But it does, and because I keep the files in different dated folders ,I was not aware of that until I was sorting them and was putting different photos in a folder called Bears when I discovered there were duplicates.
Just go ahead and renamed them,if they are in a separate folder you can select all and rename one and they all change.
Windows does not always know whats best....Ignor the warning.
Now my FZ20 has caught the FZ10 for numbers and that can cause a problem also.

StanStan
07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
FZ20: From what I know now, never write to the card when outside the camera. Never delete, post process, delete, or add anything anytime. Copy the card as is from the camera. Then reformat card in camera. I had duplicate file numbers and missing file numbers.

I emailed Pana This morning and received this after lunch:

""The file numbering system uses what what be thought of as an index file. If the user simply reads files from the SD card to the PC all is fine. However, if the user writes or copies to the card from a PC the index system can get corrupted. I suspect somehow your PC wrote something to the card and that's where the problem originates.

I suggest copying all photos to the PC (either using card reader or USB camera cable. After all is backed up, format the card. From that point, ONLY copy from SD to PC, but never back to SD card. The file system used by DSC's is similar, but different to that used by your PC. hardware or firmware wise, I've never had any problems with this operation. Also, we saw the index system malfunction when very slow SanDisk cards were used, but they were 32 & 64 MB cards that were very slow.""

STAN

genece
07-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I think they are full of it, Stan.
I never use the cards for anything other than in the camera.
And I never even review the pictures in the camera.
As I said its a pain but I can live with it.
Gene

StanStan
07-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I am going to do exactly what you do.

I thought I had the procedure down pat.

My Nikon does not have the same problem.

Thanks

Stan

meillana
07-29-2005, 06:08 AM
hmmm..... as our office notebook's combo-dvd/cdr had problems i've been using my sd card to transfer data to and from my desktop. i've even copied back some pics to the camera.... couldn't quite recall though if it's on the same folder number tho. given pana's reply, then i'd get to experience the same case you have but i haven't.
wonder what gives?