PDA

View Full Version : What quality settings should I use?[olympus c-5060]

SeanC
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Which quality setting should I use for this camera while taking pictures?

It has a ton of options, as I'm new to this, not sure which would be right for which situation. Im guessing standard quality? (SQ-1 High) at 1600x1200(edit: or should I go larger?) would be more than enough (and only 1.5mb per picture). For sharing online It would be compressed to smaller sizes (1024x768 or 640x480 for browsing sizes), so that would bump the appeared quality even more.

Just asking for some suggestions for a new and eager photographer (MY CAMERA COMES IN TOMORROW!)

Also: in the dcr review of this camera he said he used -2 or -3 sharpness due to the fact the camera already takes very sharp pictures, anyone else suggest this?

Ben Miller
09-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, the standard response is to set the quality as high as you can. After all, you paid for a high-quality 5 MP camera, so why shortchange yourself by throwing away resolution? You can use your photo editing software of choice to reduce the size of the picture later, but you only have one chance to take it, so you should grab all the pixels you can. Besides, memory chips are relatively cheap these days.

If you want the camera to make smaller files, I would suggest taking full resolution (2592 x 1944) pictures at the HQ setting. This will produce approximately a 1 MB file. (At the SHQ setting the files will be about 3 MB.) Olympus' quality settings are especially confusing. I would suggest looking at the quality settings table in Jeff's review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c5060wz-review/) to get an idea of which levels are better than others.

I also have the 5060 and I've turned the sharpness setting down to -2. It seems to make a difference, but it's pretty slight.

Enjoy your camera!

SeanC
09-08-2004, 08:59 PM
1mb file for that size?

Sorry to jump in, but doesnt his review say it takes up 3.8? But either way, good point on the quality thing.

And Ill try out the sharpness myself once I get it.

Ben Miller
09-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Sorry for not quite being clear. The SHQ setting produces approximately 3 MB files. I say approximately because JPEG compression will produce different file sizes based on the content of the picture. More detail = bigger file. 3.8 MB may be some kind of calculated maximum. In practice my photos are rarely larger than 3 MB and occasionally are less than 2.

The HQ setting gives you a 5 MP picture but increases the JPEG compression relative to SHQ, so the files are about 1 MB.

JohnBrowning
09-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Ben, how do you like the 5060? How are the flash pictures? Does it focus well? How's the LCD outside in the sunlight?

Sean, please post your thoughts when your camera comes in.

The 5060 is on my short list.

jamison55
09-11-2004, 03:53 AM
I have the Oly 5050 and almost exclusively shoot in the HQ 2592 x 1728 (3:2) mode. Then when I go to CVS to have them "developed" there is no cropping, they print what I shot.

Ben Miller
09-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Ben, how do you like the 5060? How are the flash pictures? Does it focus well? How's the LCD outside in the sunlight?

I'm happy with it. The more I use it, the more I like it. I don't take many flash pictures, so I can't give you a good answer to that question. The flash strength is adjustable, which is nice if you're using it to fill in. Focussing is fine (ie I haven't had any problems with it). The LCD is pretty hard to see in bright light. The face of it is also reflective, so if the sun is on your face, your own reflection makes it hard to see. You have to shade it with your hand (or get one of those aftermarket shades, which I haven't tried). Sometimes you can swivel the LCD around to where it's visible.