PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Printer Dock / PD 6000 / PD Plus

yonco
09-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

I have owned my Kodak (http://www.kodak.com) EasyShare DX7440 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/19/131/2244&pq-locale=en_US) digital camera for almost two months, and lately I've been considering buying the Printer Dock (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml;jsessionid=QTHCDM2UWVQFPFW4FBCXW EA?pq-path=2251&Submit.x=26&Submit.y=9&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=186328) or the Printer Dock 6000 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/1441/1159/497&pq-locale=en_US).
I have looked in the web for reviews and have read some, and the reviews show a positive opinion over the product.
But I'd like to hear your thoughts of it, and what you've experienced.
Please take the following notes into consideration when answering:
1. What kind of pictures does this printer produce? What's the image quality? How is the color?
2. How quickly did it take you to set it all up? Is it easy to use? Does it work well when printing from the computer also?
3. Are the images durable? Do they last long enough?
4. How quickly does the printer charge your camera's battery? Does it really make prints in 90 seconds as told?
5. Most reviews have recommended buying a photo paper and ink cartridge kit. I gather the printer comes with sample ink cartridges and 10 pieces of the Kodak Photo Paper. So would one additional kit be enough for the first month or so?

Plus, I've heard of the new model - the Printer Dock Plus (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/1441/1159/2804&pq-locale=en_US). The Kodak website still says "Available in September", and I haven't received the email notification yet; but since this product was announced the same day the DX7590 was, and this one's already in stores, I'm assuming that the PD Plus is also available. It seems to hold some major improvements, and the specifications are very attractive and appealing to me. Has anyone tried this one already? Is anyone planning on buying it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

propwash
09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
The printer docks use a dye sublimation process to make the prints. This a four-step process, one pass for each of the three colors, and one for a final clearcoat, or something like that. I have been told, but I can't say for sure, that this process makes for a more permanent print than does an ink jet printer.

The paper and inks are bought in a set. You get enough ink for the amount of paper in the kit. I think it's 20 or 40 in a set, but that may not be quite right. When you have used up the last paper, you replace all the ink and paper with a new set, which gives you new ink and paper for 20 (40) prints. I saw a demo of this printer in a store, and the prints looked pretty good. They happened to have been taken in the store (with its harsh fluorescent lighting) by a DX6490.

The prints are somewhat expensive, especially considering that Wal-Mart, Walgreens and some other retail outlets make digital prints for about 26-29 cents apiece. All you have to do is bring in your media (CF, SD/MMC/ Dx, memory stick, or whatever) and they will have your prints ready for you shortly. I have a Walgreen's very close to me, so I have never considered the printer dock option. I think the newest one has multi-media card readers built in, so you don't even need to hook up your camera, or you could use media from other than Kodak cameras.

The dock charges the camera's batteries any time the camera is seated on the dock. I think the charging time would be the same as with the external charger that came with your 7440, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

Atindra
09-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Printer Dock is a not useful investment for me. The photopaper and ink cartridge are hell lot of money which you have to pay continuously till you use printer. I hope charging would take 3 hr if printer is not operative simultaneously. I think you can go for good quality printer from HP, Epson or Canon and attach with computer-that will serve you better. Dont you have PC?

yonco
09-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it a lot.
Though I don't live in the USA, so we don't have Wal-Mart and stuff, but we do have places that develop pictures from CD. It costs even cheaper than 20-something cents in our currency, but I just liked the idea of instant printing, and wanted to know if it really pays off. :)
I'd be glad to hear more thoughts and opinions.

yonco
09-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Printer Dock is a not useful investment for me. The photopaper and ink cartridge are hell lot of money which you have to pay continuously till you use printer. I hope charging would take 3 hr if printer is not operative simultaneously. I think you can go for good quality printer from HP, Epson or Canon and attach with computer-that will serve you better. Dont you have PC?
I have a PC, but does an inkjet printer produce a picture at the same quality?
Again, I liked the instant printing idea, though I doubt I'll be using it so much. I just liked the gimmick.

Atindra
09-08-2004, 10:03 PM
You have to go for a good inkjet printer, they will do the job. How much is the cost for Kodak photoprinter with Dock? If it is not very high you can have it for fun but still I feel having a printer only to print photos is less favored investment.

npphotog
09-11-2004, 06:52 AM
I have been looking into the Kodak printer dock and trying to come up with comparable prices - film processing vs. digital - home computer, printer dock and Walgreens. If you buy a roll of film and get it processed (4x6 prints) I came up with a total cost per print of close to 60 cents. The Kodak printer dock is about the same cost per print. There is a new printer on the market, same type as Kodak made by Epson. Reduces the cost to about 30 cents but no built in viewer. You have to take out the card and put it into the Epson and no viewer attached.
Taking the card to Walgreens, Eckards and the like reduces the cost to about 29 cents per print. I just had 55 prints made at Walgreens and they look really great.
Not sure about printing the same 4x6 print on my home computer/printer but with the cost of ink I think it would be more than the 29 cents at Walgreens.

yonco
09-11-2004, 01:19 PM
I have been looking into the Kodak printer dock and trying to come up with comparable prices - film processing vs. digital - home computer, printer dock and Walgreens. If you buy a roll of film and get it processed (4x6 prints) I came up with a total cost per print of close to 60 cents. The Kodak printer dock is about the same cost per print. There is a new printer on the market, same type as Kodak made by Epson. Reduces the cost to about 30 cents but no built in viewer. You have to take out the card and put it into the Epson and no viewer attached.
Taking the card to Walgreens, Eckards and the like reduces the cost to about 29 cents per print. I just had 55 prints made at Walgreens and they look really great.
Not sure about printing the same 4x6 print on my home computer/printer but with the cost of ink I think it would be more than the 29 cents at Walgreens.
Thanks for your answer. I know that making prints from digital pictures at a store may be cheaper than buying the Printer Dock, but I do know about this option. Actually, the cost per 4x6" print is cheaper here (the price I found is a few cents cheaper than what you mentioned). But still, I'm just interested in some experiences and thoughts from people who have bought the Printer Dock and can give me a small review of it. :)

drileyt
12-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I wanted to let you know that the printer is a great gaget. It is fun to have and makes great pictures. It is expensive to have. You can only use the paper that comes with the ink. That is the only way to buy it and the ink is not refilable. Otherwise it would be great. I would love to see it come down in price so I wont have to go to walgreens for pictures. But for fun or if you need a picture right now for scrapbooking or just you want a friend to have it, it is great. Good quality and it takes about the same amount of time that a regular printer takes.(but better pictures) If I did not have one I would want one. I do like it and recomend it.