PDA

View Full Version : Confused with Kodak

tempest20
06-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi: I will buy my first digital camera. I really like the color quality of the Kodaks and the compact size in comparison to the competition. But the thing that makes me doubt is the lack of Image Stabilization. Everybody debates mainly around the Panasonic FZ5, Sony DSC H1 and the Canon S2. There's too much information which makes me confused. If Kodaks had IS I wouldn't hesitate this much. Please could you help me solve this dilemma? I would really appreciate it. Thanx.

TheObiJuan
06-13-2005, 11:04 PM
I liked the colors out of my old kodak dx6490, and I also loved the lens. I never really had a use for IS since I knew how to manually expose an image and take advantage of ISO and exposure compensation. IS would have been nice though.

The FZ20 is a stellar camera with the f/2.8 lens through out AND image stabilization. I don't see a reason not to buy it. The colors look great too. And you can always turn up the saturation in camera too.

jessie25
06-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Are you referring to cameras in general or specifically to the Z740 ultra-zoom?

Image stabilization is a neat tool, but IMHO is only really necessary at the telephoto end of a long-zoom camera. If you're going with a standard 3x or 4x zoom and shooting at normal shutter speeds, you probably wouldn't notice any difference with or without it. For long exposures like night shots, you should be using a tripod anyway.

Do you need an ultra-zoom or are you just looking for a regular camera?

tempest20
06-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Are you referring to cameras in general or specifically to the Z740 ultra-zoom?

Image stabilization is a neat tool, but IMHO is only really necessary at the telephoto end of a long-zoom camera. If you're going with a standard 3x or 4x zoom and shooting at normal shutter speeds, you probably wouldn't notice any difference with or without it. For long exposures like night shots, you should be using a tripod anyway.

Do you need an ultra-zoom or are you just looking for a regular camera?

Yes, I am looking for an ultra zoom. Like the z740 or z7590. What do U think of the DSC H1 and FZ5

TheObiJuan
06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
those are all good cameras, but still the fz20, and it successor to be announced, is far better. It has IS, which does help, it has a great lens, and a fast lens, f/2.8 throughout the focal range. It even has a manual focus option.

ROSEANN
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I liked the colors out of my old kodak dx6490, and I also loved the lens. I never really had a use for IS since I knew how to manually expose an image and take advantage of ISO and exposure compensation. IS would have been nice though.

The FZ20 is a stellar camera with the f/2.8 lens through out AND image stabilization. I don't see a reason not to buy it. The colors look great too. And you can always turn up the saturation in camera too.

Hi,

I see that you own a DX6490. I am looking to purchase one at CompUSA for $270.00.
Do you think this is a good camera for family pictures and for close up concerts? Also do you think that is too much for this camera?

Thanks for any info.!!

dmjohn29
06-17-2005, 06:17 PM
I have a DX6490 and it's great for family outings. $270 for a new one isn't bad, especially if it includes the camera dock. I've seen refurbished ones for more than that, and you might find a used one cheaper on Ebay. But for new, that's good.

Pictures at a concert can be tricky. Using available light you'll have to use manual exposure probably, a higher ISO speed and slower shutter speed. If the musicians are hopping around (Alice Cooper style) they could be blurred and you will have to have a steady hand, or tripod. The built in flash won't help much past 12 feet or so. You can use a more powerful external flash, for an extra cost.

That type of shooting will have the same problems with just about any digital camera, unless you want to spend the bucks for a digital SLR to use really high ISO speeds.

I've gotten some decent available light wedding photos of the vows from several rows away by resting my elbows on my knees to steady the camera.

Dave

ROSEANN
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Okay, I used my Kodak 6490 for the first time at a concert the other day and night. From the same distance the daytime pictures came out just fine but the night time ones did NOT come out clear. Very blurry.
Will IS help with this?? Or is because it was dark??

Thanks!