PDA

View Full Version : Best Online store for D-70

Augie
09-07-2004, 08:36 PM
I was recently burned by Digibest.net. I have since found a great price on a Nikon D-70 on the Geniuscameras.com site. Has anyone heard good or bad about this site/company?

Jeff H
09-07-2004, 08:40 PM
I was recently burned by Digibest.net. I have since found a great price on a Nikon D-70 on the Geniuscameras.com site. Has anyone heard good or bad about this site/company?

Augie,

Like it was told to me......your best bet is to buy form a brick and morter shop in your own town......that way you get the personalized service that you will need!

I ended up buying mine from Best Buy, only cause I got a great deal and I like their extended warranty which goes for 4 yrs!

Jeff

petrinam
09-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Maybe it seems that they have the best price but it is not true. When I called to ask about the order placed 4 days earlier, they asked me if I called before to confirm the order. There is was no such indication and if there was I would have not bother order from them. They only want to get you on the phone to lie to you and make you pay hundreds more. They pretended that the Nikon D70 body does not come with battery and charger which is a lie; they wanted me to pay 149 for the combination and when I declined they dropped it to 139. I called another store (and I ordered from them paying just $15 more) and the package has the battery and charger standars. geniuscameras rep lied to me that SLR cameras do not have this standard. They probably think their clients most be so stupid to believe it. Anyways, their ground shipping takes 3 weeks from the time you call them to "confirm" and second day shipping 3 weeks minus a few days. The guy even threaten me not to write them a bad review when I told him I would do it. It is outrageous! Do not even bother with them they will try mock you and treat you like sh. :mad:

I wasted to much time with them anyway, try pricescan.com and take the next store in line (FotoConnection) - call them. They will also try to sell you stuff, so just resist and get a second buss day by DHL. My D70 will be here just in 4 days including the weekend since I called for total $956. They shipped the same night. Good luck and have fun! :)

Rhys
09-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Maybe it seems that they have the best price but it is not true. When I called to ask about the order placed 4 days earlier, they asked me if I called before to confirm the order. There is was no such indication and if there was I would have not bother order from them. They only want to get you on the phone to lie to you and make you pay hundreds more. They pretended that the Nikon D70 body does not come with battery and charger which is a lie; they wanted me to pay 149 for the combination and when I declined they dropped it to 139. I called another store (and I ordered from them paying just $15 more) and the package has the battery and charger standars. geniuscameras rep lied to me that SLR cameras do not have this standard. They probably think their clients most be so stupid to believe it. Anyways, their ground shipping takes 3 weeks from the time you call them to "confirm" and second day shipping 3 weeks minus a few days. The guy even threaten me not to write them a bad review when I told him I would do it. It is outrageous! Do not even bother with them they will try mock you and treat you like sh. :mad:

I wasted to much time with them anyway, try pricescan.com and take the next store in line (FotoConnection) - call them. They will also try to sell you stuff, so just resist and get a second buss day by DHL. My D70 will be here just in 4 days including the weekend since I called for total $956. They shipped the same night. Good luck and have fun! :)

I hear so many complaints about being ripped-off by online shops that I wonder why anybody wastes their time looking at them. Generally, it seems the best thing to do is to check prices online and buy locally in a real shop. Sure, I buy things online occasionally but I don't buy anything expensive. Let's see.... how have my recent online purchases been....

2 ISPs - no problems (monthly billing)
memory cards - no problems
webspace - had to get the card company to chase the firm for a refund when they proved uncontactable and provided things I didn't pay for rather than those that I did.
flowers - billed but never arrived. Again, card company had to get a refund.
Online betting - not one of my transactions. Card company changed my card number so it can't happen again.

recent purchases for which the bill has yet to arrive
webspace - a different company
travel insurance

So. This is my online purchasing experience. I gather it's not an uncommon experience.

My advice is if buying things online, buy from reputable organisations with a real, physical addressed. Check that the company is registered and check who owns it. Also, never buy anything that costs more than a few pounds/dollars. Certainly never more than £50 or $100.

TLphoto
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
What about Amazon? They have a good reputation. Has anyone bought a camera or accessories from them?

Terry

JimColt
05-10-2006, 12:01 AM

Here is the text from an E-mail I sent to Aziza (the person from the New Jersey State Attorney Generalís Office responsible for pursuing my claim) on Jun 20, 2005 12:14 PM. Her (possibly shared) email Address is:
e-commerce@dca.lps.state.nj.us

Reply-To: me
To: Aziza <e-commerce@dca.lps.state.nj.us>
Date: Jun 20, 2005 12:14 PM

I just sent you two email order confirmations for Canon EOS 20D Digital Camera Body kits ordered and confirmed by telephone from GeniusCameras.com.

As specified in my complaint, I ordered the first on 28 February 2005 and was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. When I inquired 8 weeks and a few days later I was told the order had been cancelled unilaterally and routinely due to a policy to cancel all backorders after 30 days. I had agreed to a 56 day delay when the order was placed.

I just ordered and confirmed the second camera this morning. I was told the camera is on backorder and will ship in 2 to 3 weeks.

I have purchased battery chargers and batteries on ebay to support these cameras and have suffered damage due to the lack of performance of the original contract.

The original contract included a disclaimer of price protection on items that have allready shipped. I request price protection on my initial order such that both cameras be shipped at the down total price of 782.71 each reflected in the recent order.

These cameras must include Full USA warranty, be brand new, meet operating specifications, and include peripherals and software that are listed as included as specified in the advertisement.

I understand the retailer may have the battery, battery charger, and starter memory card removed proir to shipping but demand the product be shipped directly from the manufacturer as I was told would be the case.

I would be willing to, but have no desire to, reduce my demands to delivery of one camera body kit for $782.71 including shipping if the camera and peripheral items are shipped this week. I would be willing to receive the camera kit(s) without the FREE case and vacuum if it(they) come(s) in an unopened box(es) from the manufacturer.

Here are copies of the emails from geniuscameras.com acknowledging the orders. I made the required calls and confirmed the orders. Only my identity has been altered. The first confirmation E-mail follows.

To: me
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:11:51 "GMT"
Subject: Order #3943 from GeniusCameras.com
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?

Dear me,

This email is to confirm receipt of your online order with us. However, a verbal confirmation is required before we can ship out your order. Please give us a call us at 800-847-1833 Option #3 Monday through Thursday 9:30 am to 7:00 pm, Friday 9:30 am to 4:00 pm, or Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm Eastern standard time.

Your order number is : 3943

Thank you for shopping at GeniusCameras.com

The second confirmation E-mail follows.

To: me
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:06:05 "GMT"
Subject: Please call GeniusCameras to confirm order #6471
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
Dear me,

This email is to confirm receipt of your online order with us. However, a verbal confirmation is required before we can ship out your order. Please give us a call us at 800-847-1833 Option #3 Monday through Thursday 9:30 am to 7:00 pm, Friday 9:30 am to 5:00 pm, or Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm Eastern standard time.

Your order number is : 6471

Thank you for shopping at GeniusCameras.com

I called Aziza (the person from the New Jersey State Attorney Generalís Office responsible for pursuing my claim) in May 2006 Ėover ten months after filing my complaint and demanding performance of the contract. Aziza refused to tell me even one single thing she had done to pursue the claim.

Donít expect help from the New Jersey State Attorney Generalís Office.

pas49ras
05-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Geniuscameras.com site. Has anyone heard good or bad about this site/company

Genius cameras has a seller rating of 0.34 out of 10 and is on the Digital Cameras Hall of Shame. Check out the Where to Buy thread and pick one of the Best Places to Buy from. Lowest price is not always you best deal.

The Good: - In Order From Great to Good
__________________________R R - SH - BR
1. B&H Photovideo-----------9.22 - 4.5 - 9.3
2. New Egg -----------------9.63 - 4.5 - 9.0
3. IBuyDigital ---------------8.88 - 4.5 - 8.6
4. Dbuys --------------------8.88 - 4.5 - 8.4
5. Central Digital ^ ----------8.88 - n/a - 8.3
6. Beach Camera ------------9.07 - 4.5 - 9.2
7. BuyDig.com ^-------------8.28 - 4.5 - 9.2
9. 17th Street Photo --------9.90 - 5.0 - 9.3
10. Zip Zoom Fly ------------8.68 - 4.5 - 8.8
11. Norman Camera ---------9.08 - n/a - 8.8
12. Digital Foto Club --------9.10 - 4.5 - 9.1

The Bad: - Don' Shop At Any Of These! (No Particular Order)
1. USA Photonation -----------0.70 - n/a - n/a
2. Radio Active Deals^ --------2.61 - n/a - n/a
3. Royal Camera ---------------1.59 - n/a - n/a
4. CCI Camera City ^-----------0.77 - n/a - n/a
5. 42nd St. Photo -------------1.81 - 3.5 - n/a
6. Best Price Cameras ---------0.18 - n/a - n/a
7. Infinity Cameras ^-----------0.40 - n/a - n/a
8. Infiniti Photo ^--------------0.20 - n/a - n/a
9. J and K Cameras ^----------- n/a - n/a - n/a
10. Mr. Accessory ^-------------n/a - n/a - n/a
11. Century21Electronics.com ^-0.00 - n/a - n/a
12. Ibuydig.com ----------------0.08 - n/a - n/a **NOT BUYDIG.com**
13. turbobuys.com ^------------0.00 - n/a - n/a
14. getyourdigitalhere.com ^----0.50 - n/a - n/a
15. AM Photoworld -------------0.59 - n/a - n/a
16. Broadway Photo -----------1.51 - n/a - n/a
17. Regal Camera ^------------1.51 - n/a - n/a
18. Prestige Camera ^----------1.51 - n/a - 7.3
19. Digital Liquidators ----------0.54 - n/a - n/a
20. All Star Camera ------------1.39 - n/a - n/a
21. The Camera Pro's ^---------0.0 - n/a - n/a
22. Genius Cameras ------------0.34 - n/a - n/a
23. Express Cameras ^----------0.94 - n/a - n/a
24. Wawa Digital ---------------0.22 - n/a - n/a
25. Stargate Photo ^-----------0.22 - n/a - n/a
26. Starlightcameras.com ^-----1.62 - n/a - n/a
27. Stop4Camera.com ^--------1.29 - n/a - n/a

michaelb
05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Geniuscameras.com site. Has anyone heard good or bad about this site/company

Genuis cameras has a seller rating of 0.34 out of 10 and is on the Digital Cameras Hall of Shame. Check out the Where to Buy thread and pick one of the Best Places to Buy from. Lowest price is not always you best deal.

The Good: - In Order From Great to Good
1. B&H Photovideo-----------9.22 - 4.5 - 9.3
2. New Egg -----------------9.63 - 4.5 - 9.0
3. IBuyDigital ---------------8.88 - 4.5 - 8.6
4. Dbuys --------------------8.88 - 4.5 - 8.4
5. Central Digital ^ ----------8.88 - n/a - 8.3
6. Beach Camera ------------9.07 - 4.5 - 9.2
7. BuyDig.com ^-------------8.28 - 4.5 - 9.2
9. 17th Street Photo --------9.90 - 5.0 - 9.3
10. Zip Zoom Fly ------------8.68 - 4.5 - 8.8
11. Norman Camera ---------9.08 - n/a - 8.8
12. Digital Foto Club --------9.10 - 4.5 - 9.1

The Bad: - Don' Shop At Any Of These! (No Particular Order)
1. USA Photonation -----------0.70 - n/a - n/a
2. Radio Active Deals^ --------2.61 - n/a - n/a
3. Royal Camera ---------------1.59 - n/a - n/a
4. CCI Camera City ^-----------0.77 - n/a - n/a
5. 42nd St. Photo -------------1.81 - 3.5 - n/a
6. Best Price Cameras ---------0.18 - n/a - n/a
7. Infinity Cameras ^-----------0.40 - n/a - n/a
8. Infiniti Photo ^--------------0.20 - n/a - n/a
9. J and K Cameras ^----------- n/a - n/a - n/a
10. Mr. Accessory ^-------------n/a - n/a - n/a
11. Century21Electronics.com ^-0.00 - n/a - n/a
12. Ibuydig.com ----------------0.08 - n/a - n/a **NOT BUYDIG.com**
13. turbobuys.com ^------------0.00 - n/a - n/a
14. getyourdigitalhere.com ^----0.50 - n/a - n/a
15. AM Photoworld -------------0.59 - n/a - n/a
16. Broadway Photo -----------1.51 - n/a - n/a
17. Regal Camera ^------------1.51 - n/a - n/a
18. Prestige Camera ^----------1.51 - n/a - 7.3
19. Digital Liquidators ----------0.54 - n/a - n/a
20. All Star Camera ------------1.39 - n/a - n/a
21. The Camera Pro's ^---------0.0 - n/a - n/a
22. Genius Cameras ------------0.34 - n/a - n/a
23. Express Cameras ^----------0.94 - n/a - n/a
24. Wawa Digital ---------------0.22 - n/a - n/a
25. Stargate Photo ^-----------0.22 - n/a - n/a
26. Starlightcameras.com ^-----1.62 - n/a - n/a
27. Stop4Camera.com ^--------1.29 - n/a - n/a

No offense guys, but come on. Why in the world would you buy anything, much less an expensive camera, from an online retailer without cheking their ratings on a site like this first? Pricegrabber, etc all have ratings of these online merchants. I would understand if your 85 years old and living in an extended care facility due to advanced dementia, but otherwise how on earth could you be so careless to buy anything from a place like genius cameras? The reviews couldn't be worse.
There are very reputable online retailers, such as Newegg, B&H photo, Beach camera, Amazon, etc. Obviously, all of these scam online merchants should be shut down, but if you are careless enough to order from a place like genius cameras then you get what you deserve.