PDA

View Full Version : Are these batteries for real?

chuckyg
09-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I saw a thread with a link to www.homenext.net.
they have canon batteries claiming better, longer and cheaper.
are these batteries actually as good as they claim?
My reason for asking....
I am really at point of trying to make a decision on the S500 or the coolpix 5200?
Any additional insight would also be appreciated.
thank you.
chuckyg

iKwak
09-07-2004, 09:41 PM
It looks a bit shady to me. Spend a little more money and buy your batteries at a reputative e-commerce store and save yourself the future hassle.

Rhys
09-08-2004, 09:01 AM
It looks a bit shady to me. Spend a little more money and buy your batteries at a reputative e-commerce store and save yourself the future hassle.

I don't see the point of saving pennies. The postage alone on the batteries will kill any savings.

I tend to go in my local market for NiMh batteries. They're generally just about as cheap as any online place.

buzz
09-08-2004, 01:02 PM
I get mine from mahaenergy.com. I found them from a link on steves-digicams.
The 2300mh AA powerex series are awesome...

Homer's Brain
09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Believe it or not, I use GP's batteries, the 2300MAH ones and they work great. They seem to last forever. I have 3 sets, one in camera, one in the case, and a set in the charger, always ready to go...I hardly ever have to switch them. I figure I go through three 128MB sticks with my A20 before I need to change (and that's using the LCD), and I have an A95 on order, so I'll let you know how they do in the new, more battery draining camera.

Rhys
09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Believe it or not, I use GP's batteries, the 2300MAH ones and they work great. They seem to last forever. I have 3 sets, one in camera, one in the case, and a set in the charger, always ready to go...I hardly ever have to switch them. I figure I go through three 128MB sticks with my A20 before I need to change (and that's using the LCD), and I have an A95 on order, so I'll let you know how they do in the new, more battery draining camera.

3 sets?

I only need one set for my Canon S1. I carry alkalines as a backup but I never ever need to use them. And they're GP 2100s too.

NeoteriX
09-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Do you always top off your NiMH batteries at the end of the day then?

Even though NiMH is way less susceptible to the memory effect, there is still some present.

3 sets?

I only need one set for my Canon S1. I carry alkalines as a backup but I never ever need to use them. And they're GP 2100s too.

Rhys
09-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Do you always top off your NiMH batteries at the end of the day then?

Even though NiMH is way less susceptible to the memory effect, there is still some present.

If they're freshly charged, i carry just an extra set of alkalines, if they're used, i carry a second, charged set.

Homer's Brain
09-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Just call me lazy... :)

In all honesty, I don't like using alkalines because of the waste, and I've found that the NiMH ho;d charge pretty well until I use them. The ones in the wall, with the charger I have, doesn't trickle them, it just holds them. I use the GP 2300's, and have one set of 2100's...so far I haven't noticed a huge difference between the two. But as far as how much I go through them, let's just say my wife takes a LOT of pictures hehe.