PDA

View Full Version : keep kodak dx7590 or get canon s2

borisshnitkin
06-09-2005, 11:13 PM
:) i have the chance to give back my kodak dx7590 back and get store credit towards something else. is it worth getting the canon s2? i know if has a better zoom but its also a little bit larger and has a smaller lcd screen, but it does move, can u guys give me some advice.

bluevolume
06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I'm trying to make this same decision myself. From the comparisons I've made, I'm fairly confident that the overall picture quality of the S2 is better, and there's definately a lot more in the way of customizing through manual controls. The LCD, however, is where the Kodak reigns supreme -- especially in the viewfinder. The LCD is around 330K pixels and the S2 is around 115K pixels (got the S2 info from another site, may be a little off).

My decision is going to be heavily influenced by the S2's review on this site (supposed to be here next week). I have found the reviews here to provide an excellent baseline for comparing between models/brands. If I do decide to go for the Canon, its going to be the end of an era for me -- I worked for Kodak for 9 years and have had 7 of their cameras.

muskateer
09-15-2005, 05:33 AM
The Kodak is far more responsive than the Canon S2, especially the shutter lag. If you don't want to miss an important moment, go for the Kodak.

BigCTM
09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
What about the new Kodak P850 or P880? They might be a good choice.

jdr1234
09-15-2005, 06:27 PM
What about the new Kodak P850 or P880? They might be a good choice.

I agree-look at the P850 and the P880 prior to doing your trade; I think you'll be VERY impressed!

Atindra
09-21-2005, 10:16 AM
:) i have the chance to give back my kodak dx7590 back and get store credit towards something else. is it worth getting the canon s2? i know if has a better zoom but its also a little bit larger and has a smaller lcd screen, but it does move, can u guys give me some advice.
I guess Kodak's P-850 would be better choice if you return DX7590.
Atindra

wtfmate?
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
This is a bit of a technical review, so beware (but if you want a serious comparison then by all means continue)... I really wanted and SLR-like camera for serious picture taking but didn't want to pay over $1000; what I found were these two beauties for $400-500 a piece (though you'll have to shop online for the lower prices).

So, a while ago I began investigating the Cannon 2S IS and Kodak p850 (both SLR-like point-and-shoot cameras) with intentions of getting one or the other. To start out with some straight equivalencies, they are about the same size, weight and build while both also have 12x optical zoom with image stabilization (wide-telephoto). It seemed to me that the Kodak camera was more versitile at first glance (larger aperture range for depth of field, larger range of selectable ISO-equivalent speeds for perfect exposure, and a slightly higher resolution), where as the one thing the Cannon had going for it was a slightly higher shutter speed (for sports action). I would compare their slow shutter speeds but I can tell you that the Kodak has time lapse capabilities, both interval and continuous. To go on about the Kodak though, it also includes a larger, higher quality LCD (with histogram option to analyze light distribution while shooting a scene), an external flash mount, more white balance options, and RAW, TIFF and JPEG file formats (while the Cannon only supports smaller JPEG files).

By this time it's probably pretty clear which camera I went with. Altogether, I found the Kodak to be a more versatile, more artistically capable camera based on the specifics. But as we all know, it's the end product that counts and no matter the specs. You always want the better picture, right?

Here are some shots I took this past weekend around 4-5pm (follow link):

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=194bvpr1.gstg7fx&Uy=g3w2st&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=31683968521_17824335309

And if you want to see pro shots from the Cannon then check out this link:

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canons2is_samples/

Thank you to everyone for sharing on these message boards, you've really helped me to make the right decision for myself!

swgod98
10-05-2005, 09:34 AM
wtfmate? lol, that's a sentence all by iteself :)

I fully respect your decision and reasoning. But, I have questions about your research...And I ask this because I honestly don't know (not trying to discredit your choice)...

You say the Kodak has "larger" aperture ranges for depth of field. The only thing I can see is that the Kodak has more available F stop values within the same range. How useful (realistically) is this?

Also, you mention it has a larger range of selectable ISO ranges, which is also true. But, can anyone answer how useful this is? I know the P850 has an ISO 800 option also (which is nice), but at only 1.2 mpx it just doesn't seem very useful.

From your analysis, it does seem that the Kodak would be better at getting that single shot perfectly as you want it. However, it seems like the P850's extra options over the S2 is like adding a nickle to a stack of quarters...?

I really like the fact that the P850 has a hotshoe (the S2 doesn't). And the live histogram seems like a really nice feature as well that the S2 lacks.

Of course, the S2 does things the P850 doesn't, but I'm not here to debate which camera is better. Just trying to get some answers to some honest questions.

btw mate, those are great shots.

Rambler358
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
From your analysis, it does seem that the Kodak would be better at getting that single shot perfectly as you want it. However, it seems like the P850's extra options over the S2 is like adding a nickle to a stack of quarters...?
Like someone else mentioned, when you're having a really tough time with a decision then you HAVE to nitpick. :D

swgod98
10-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Like someone else mentioned, when you're having a really tough time with a decision then you HAVE to nitpick. :D

lol, good point (I said that) :)

Mato34
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
From my personal point of view, I'd say that the P850 must deliver better picture quality because of RAW, but this implies you must take some time with it. In JPG I'd say that both are on a similar level, though the Canon seems to suffer heavy CA, quite more than the P850 as it seems from its (few) sample images.

ISO 800 at 1.2 MPx isn't too much as swgod says. In my DX 7440 it really works for photos with friends, family... without using flash. I really like them, because using Neat Image or any other noise reduction software they look quite good. In those situations ISO 800 is owrth, but if you want to take some "performance" photos forget about it. Anyway, higher ISOs in the P850 seems to be quite good, at least ISO 200 is almost noise free with very little loss of detail if light is "normal" (I mean no night shots with lot of black areas).

Speed of use seems to be weakest point of the P850, seems to be clearly slower than the S2 or Sony H1. Perhaps the P850 isn't sluggish, but the rivals are quite good!

Then there are the specifications, and I like very much the P850 over the S2. Live histogram, custom modes, ISOs in 1/3 EV steps, hot shoe... but that is a kind of personal taste.

Sorry about no adding something new...

You can find samples and a lot of info at http://usuarios.lycos.es/kodakpseries/

Un saludo.

wtfmate?
10-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, I've been called out on my praise for the p850, and I'm glad! Now, this doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with my camera, but it does mean that there are others out there who are taking this very seriously.

Here, however, is my bottom line defense of the p580 asside from technical specifications. Further more, this is not a sales pitch by any means but rather own my perspective (haha, perspective, photography, it's funny... get it?). It's a learning assisted camera that allows for a lot of creativity. The most useful aspect of my camera has turned out to be the live histogram. Also, in manual mode your EV comp. actually acts as a light meter to help you gauge exposure (this may be true of the S2 IS also, I just dunno). Using these two in conjunction it is possible to accurately predict exposure based on the highs and lows in your composition. All you have to do is point your focus on various targets and see how the histogram/EV change and then adjust your ISO and either aperture/shutter speed accordingly to get an exposure based on an entire composition.

But, for what it's worth I still can't tell you that Kodak has outdone Canon. What I can do is suggest (possibly beg) that a bit of friendly competition takes place among the owners of both cameras and that photos be displayed publicly (possibly on this site, possibly elsewhere if anyone has ideas). At the very worst, we all get to experiment with and enjoy our cameras while trying to out do eachother. Alright, I'll shut up now.

swgod98
10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I appreciate your input on the P850. Not having one myself (nor even seeing one in person yet!), it's nice to hear explanations about how it's used. I'm not an expert photographer, so while live histogram sounds nice, your explanation of how it's used makes it even more intriguing.

Perhaps I will take your advice and start posting more pictures. Thanks mate.

Atindra
10-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Nice balanced opinion here. I would like to see some pics posted from your p850.
I saw this on another forum may be it is relevant to the discussion here.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=69793&forum_id=18&jump_to=384921
Atindra

wtfmate?
10-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Atindra and friends,

I did check out your link and appreciate the added balance to this discussion. I did post some waterfall pics on 10-4 that were actually the VERY FIRST shots I ever took with the p850, most all of which using the manual mode. I will admit that some were taken in automatic mode, and can say that I was pleased with the choices my camera made. I will do what I can to continue posting pictures, though I really only get the chance to get out and around on the weekends (because having a real job sucks).

By the way, if anyone knows of a good place to post photos (quick upload, somewhat large file sizes, no invasive registration) please let me know. My internet connection is not the best and I've not been able to upload photos directly to this site due to size issues. I do have a few indoor photos that I'm rather pleased with (since everyone seems to complain of SLR and SLR-like camera's having problems getting adequate light indoors) and would like to share.

Thanks

Rambler358
10-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I will do what I can to continue posting pictures, though I really only get the chance to get out and around on the weekends (because having a real job sucks).
Yep, but it pays the bills and paid for my camera. :D But like you, I've got little time during the week to do anything.

By the way, if anyone knows of a good place to post photos (quick upload, somewhat large file sizes, no invasive registration) please let me know.
A lot of people use www.photobucket.com and they give you a free 20MB account. Hope this helps!

Atindra
10-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Atindra and friends,

By the way, if anyone knows of a good place to post photos (quick upload, somewhat large file sizes, no invasive registration) please let me know. My internet connection is not the best and I've not been able to upload photos directly to this site due to size issues. I do have a few indoor photos that I'm rather pleased with (since everyone seems to complain of SLR and SLR-like camera's having problems getting adequate light indoors) and would like to share.

Thanks

Another option than photobucket is imageshack.us, its free and allows 1MB size perfile you can do batch upload etc. But site-lay out and logging in etc is not userfriendly-I found so.
Eager to see your indoor shots.
Atindra