PDA

View Full Version : Opinon? Either Canon S70 or G6?

Javair
09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I believe I have narrowed my next camera purchase to either the Canon S70 or the Canon G6.

In the last decade or more, I have moved down to a point-and-shoot camera for family life; for something any family member can pick-up and shoot. In my life before kids, I had an SLR, and often "worked the picture."

I still do not want to get an SLR for my family needs; for the quick pack-and-go and for my wife, daughter or father (who know nothing about cameras) to be able to shoot quickly.

So, I would lkie something not too intimidating to a novice, but something that I can still have some fun with; something that I could still work-the-shot a bit.

In the write-ups and reviews, I am liking what I see of the picture quality in the Canon S70 and the Canon G6. Canon sems to have broken through the Megapixal noise barrier, and is producing low-noise, superior pictures with their 7 megapixel cameras. (Amazing!)

The S70 and the G6 are within $100 of each other, so price is not a factor between those two.

Taking my needs and my family needs into consideration, what do any of you think? Is the Canon G6 too much camera or too intimidating for novices?

Thanks.

Jeff Keller
09-07-2004, 11:18 PM
I believe I have narrowed my next camera purchase to either the Canon S70 or the Canon G6.

In the last decade or more, I have moved down to a point-and-shoot camera for family life; for something any family member can pick-up and shoot. In my life before kids, I had an SLR, and often "worked the picture."

I still do not want to get an SLR for my family needs; for the quick pack-and-go and for my wife, daughter or father (who know nothing about cameras) to be able to shoot quickly.

So, I would lkie something not too intimidating to a novice, but something that I can still have some fun with; something that I could still work-the-shot a bit.

In the write-ups and reviews, I am liking what I see of the picture quality in the Canon S70 and the Canon G6. Canon sems to have broken through the Megapixal noise barrier, and is producing low-noise, superior pictures with their 7 megapixel cameras. (Amazing!)

The S70 and the G6 are within $100 of each other, so price is not a factor between those two.

Taking my needs and my family needs into consideration, what do any of you think? Is the Canon G6 too much camera or too intimidating for novices?

Thanks.

Just on picture quality alone the G6 wins big in my opinion. The S70 has more purple fringing and blurry edges and corners.

Alnath
09-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Here is a G6 shot i took on Sunday :)

http://members.aol.com/itsabelter/seagull.jpg

minox
09-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Alnath,
the pictures on your site are great - so is it true that the pics in january ore jube 2004 where shot with the A80?look smashing to me - might just be the right kind of camera...
Do you think the G6 is a lot better? I mean an awfull lot??

Alnath
09-23-2004, 02:28 AM
The photos on my gallery are taken with what i say they taken with mate yes :)

The G6 is better than the A80 yes, but an awfull lot better? Well i would not like to put my neck on the line with that one, what makes the G6 better is very subtle. Although the image quality is better on the G6 (only really evident when you print them out or compare a full image side by side, all the compression we use just kills the images really) and images dont blow out as easy.