PDA

View Full Version : G5 or Digital Rebel

Van de Bogart
07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
I hope this doesn't sound too weird but does anyone have an opinion regarding which camera a "serious amateur" is best served buying.......A G5 (or G6 when its out) or the Digital Rebel. I guess one question I have is who really needs 6.3 mp's. Is it more comfortable to frame with the LCD or the view finder on the rebel. I do have an older EOS 650 with a couple of lenses so I suppose this could be a deciding factor. I have a friend who has a G5 and I thought it was pretty nice with great pic quality. Money really isn't the issue but ease of use and overall practicality is. Thanks

Nick
07-07-2004, 01:33 PM
If you want ease of use, you'll want to frame with the LCD. You can not use the LCD as a few finder on dSLRs, therefore the Rebel won't work that way for ya.

I would go ahead and wait for the G6 which Jeff has hinted about on the forums just recently.

jamison55
07-07-2004, 02:53 PM
I think it depends on what types of pics the "serious amateur" is looking to take. The G5 is a great camera, and the swiveling lcd is a handy feature for shooting over crowds, shooting objects on the ground, or just shooting from the waist. Being a digicam (vs a DSLR) it has a smaller sensor, so you will get terrific DOF right from the box. It is smaller and more portable than a DSLR, so you're more likely to carry it with you casually. It has every manual feature you could want, even more than the DReb (e.g. the ability to control the metering mode). However it is still a digicam so it suffers from shutter lag, you are limited to the lens that is permanently attached, and the small sensor that gives such great DOF produces much more noise (especially at higher ISO settings).

The DReb has a few things going for it. It has a larger sensor, which gives the ability to produce low noise high ISO pictures. It offers more DOF control, which is also a result of a larger sensor. There is no shutter lag; when you press the button the camera takes the picture. And it takes any lens with a Canon EF mount. But all of that is contained in a much larger package. Add all of your extra lenses and accessories and you have a kit that you have to plan to take with you.

Now back to my original point. If you are a landscape photographer, you will do fine with the G5. The extra DOF will help you to get clear, in-focus pictures. If you mainly photograph people, you won't be happy with the G5 because the greater DOF won't allow you to blur the background of a portrait the way the 50mm f1.8 prime will. If you are a sports photograher, the shutter lag on the G5 might prevent you from capturing the moment you framed. If you are a still life photographer the G5 will take beautiful pictures.

I guess the short answer is that the DReb can always produce images that are identical to the G5, but the G5 can't always produce images that are identical to the DReb...the G5 is sure a lot easier to carry around, though!

al macdiarmid
07-09-2004, 12:26 PM
My first serious camera was a Nikon S2. My next was an SLR and the shutter lag drove me nuts. I would take a picture of a porpoise to get just a splash. So when people say there is no shutter lag in an SLR, I have to remember my S2, which did not wait to pull up the mirror, set the aperture, etc. All things are relative. Al

Mike Woods
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
I recently took my Dreb to Sea World and was able to get three or four pictures per jump of the whales and dolphins. Shutter lag is not an issue unless you really need a rapid succession of shots (5-10 per sec). I upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix 950 and while the Rebel is more combersome to carry around, the larger design and through the lens focusing makes it much easier to frame shots quickly. In my opinion their are digital cameras, and then there are dslrs. Once you start shooting with a dslr, there is no comparison.