PDA

View Full Version : Help With Metering

Joe Davis
06-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Me again, looking to bug you all.

Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, the difference in the metering and when I should use which? I am referring to multi-segment, center weighted and spot metering.

Thanks

gstafleu
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Spot metering measures the light in a small circle right in the middle of the image. If this small circle is representative of the image as a whole, you will get a good exposure. If the circle happens to be one of the brighter parts of the image then the circle will be exposed correctly, the rest of the image may be underexposed.

Center weighted metering measures the light over a larger part of the image, giving more weight to a point the closer it is to the center. There is a picture of this in the manual. If there is a small bright spot in the center of the image then this method will give a better exposure then spot metering, because it will take more of the picture into account.

Multi segmenty metering is where the camera tries to be smart. There are 16 segments in the image where it measures the light, roughly in the area of the auto focus spots. The camera then tries to figure out what you are trying to shoot: an evenly lit subject, a back-lit one, a landscape with a bright sky,... It then tries to find the best exposure for the situation. Of course it may not always succeed :) .

So, if you are a beginner, start with multi-segment and see how that goes. Once you have some experince, try the other modes.

Joe Davis
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Thank you.

Ishkabibble
08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
If you need assistance, try taking a look at www.luminous-landscape.com

If you check the bottom of the webpage, you'll see links to all sorts of dSLR tutorials...

Understanding Printer Colour Management
Understanding Raw Files
Understanding Local Contrast Enhancement
Understanding Contrast Masking
Understanding Digital USM
Understanding MTF Charts
Understanding Histograms
Understanding Digital Sensor Cleaning
Understanding Digital Workflow
Understanding Mirror Lock-Up
Understanding Medium Format
Understanding Depth of Field