PDA

View Full Version : Why D-SLRS don't have live LCD preview (yet)

johnnyison
06-06-2005, 07:42 PM
If you're wondering why D-SLRS don't have a live LCD preview or a flip LCD which can be really handy, follow this link, the section called "sensor size", and see the third paragraph within the "sensor size" section:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digitalbasics.html

Hopefully this limitation will be overcome somehow one day because its been one my major reasons not to go to D-SLR.

MatH
06-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Hmm... live preview would be good, but flip LCDs I don't like as they are very fragile and take time to get ready to shoot.

jparks
06-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I really miss the flip-out LCD that gave me 100% of the picture on my G2. The Rebel XT seems to have sacrifaced several really good features for picture quality and speed of focus. The LCDs do use power. With that heavy lens I couldn't see adding another battery to the mass.

armstrom
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
I really miss the flip-out LCD that gave me 100% of the picture on my G2. The Rebel XT seems to have sacrifaced several really good features for picture quality and speed of focus. The LCDs do use power. With that heavy lens I couldn't see adding another battery to the mass.

It's not like there was a choice in the matter. The design of SLR cameras in general prevents the use of the sensor for real-time display on the LCD. First, there's a big honking mirror in the way, second, there's a physical shutter between the mirror and the sensor. There's also the problem with the sensors themselves. The huge CCD and CMOS sensors used in DSLR cameras generate quite a bit of heat when they are active.

I would argue that the sacrifices required to implement live preview/framing on the LCD are too great. While it's true there are some very speciallized versions of DSLR cameras designed to provide a live display on the LCD, it is only designed to be used for a short period of time. The most notable example of this is perhaps the Canon 20Da which is designed for astrophotography.

It always cracks me up when I read reviews on various DSLR cameras that complain about the lack of a live display on the viewfinder as well as "movie mode"... One customer said he couldn't understand how these features could be "left out" of a camera costing $1000... :rolleyes:

armstrom
06-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Here's a solution... if you really must have an LCD viewfinder you can try to get one of these.. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060701zigview_lcd.asp

I don't know if there is a North American distributor for it yet, and it's not cheap. It's basically a "hack" that incorporates an entirely separate "camera" (sensor and display) that attaches to the eye-cup bracket on your viewfinder and displays the image on an LCD screen. Obviously, you will not be able to look through your viewfinder without taking it off.

It's not perfect, but it does provide a way to compose images that would otherwise be difficult or impossible if you had to look through the viewfinder yourself.

SnowSpyder86
06-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Actually, the Canon EOS20DA does have a live lcd preview right on it. Check it out at http://www.buytelescopes.com/product_list.asp?m=45&d=5

98 SNAKE EATER
06-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually, the Canon EOS20DA does have a live lcd preview right on it. Check it out at http://www.buytelescopes.com/product_list.asp?m=45&d=5

Very kewl :cool:

Think this feature will trickle down to the low end DSLR's anytime soon?

Like Johnny, I too long for an LCD preview and it's the only thing keeping me from buying a new DSLR :(

I've actually been considering either a high end midrange cam (F828/Pro 1) or a low end DSLR (XT)....

I know it's like apples to oranges, but I'm not much of a photographer and the added ergonomical features of the midrange cams appeal to me just as much as image quality....

Rick

TheObiJuan
06-16-2005, 05:28 PM

Like what features? Other features that are also not implimented in Canon's other prosumer digital SLRs?

TheObiJuan
06-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Low end XT is still higher than the 300D, which when hacked is nothing to slouch at. :D

The live preview reaks havoc on the sensor, it is only available for short periods then the camera shuts down for a cooling period.

I typically here this feature wanted by most non digital slr owners, once they convert and utilze the equipment, they ususally hush about it and learn to use what is available.

jeisner
06-16-2005, 06:02 PM
I few mentioned they miss this feature and it is even holding them back from buying a DSLR, so out of curiosity, why is a live preview important to you??

I understand the rotating screen I guess as can take photos by rotating the screen down and holding the camera above you head (for say in a crowd).. But I would imagine this would be rare and personally I have never wanted to do this but maybe others run into this situation more?

98 SNAKE EATER
06-16-2005, 06:16 PM
I few mentioned they miss this feature and it is even holding them back from buying a DSLR, so out of curiosity, why is a live preview important to you??

I understand the rotating screen I guess as can take photos by rotating the screen down and holding the camera above you head (for say in a crowd).. But I would imagine this would be rare and personally I have never wanted to do this but maybe others run into this situation more?

Here's a prime example....

http://www.fuelslut.net/hosting/uploads/airboatfigures4.JPG

This picture was taken with my little Sony T7

I had to stick my face in an ant hill to get this shot :eek:

With my old F707, I wouldn't have any problems getting bit on the nose cause I could take the same shot standing up :cool:

The lack of features like this may sound minor to true camera buffs, but I'm not much of a photographer to begin with :o

In fact, I'm more of a point and shooter, so these usable features appeal to me just as much as image quality....

I'm sure once I get into DSLR's, the need for gadgetlike goodies will most likely fade, but it's kinda hard to adapt when I'm so used to these features.....

Rick

docnesh
06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Hello, I figured I'd put in my 2 cents... I used to use a regular point and shoot and always framed my shots with the LCD... having made the move to a dSLR, I was very concerned at havingg to use the viewfinder and the LCD only being used to preview my shots. I now find, after having owned a 300d and recently moving up to the 20d that I don't miss live preview one bit. IIn fact when using a point&shoot digital I still use the viewfinder. I think unless your doing overhead shots that live preview is really not a critical feature. The important thing when evaluating dSLR's is to look at the viewfinder magnification and frame coverage. I know the Canon's are not great when it comes to this when you compare it with other film based SLRs by Pentax for example. As you become more accustomed to using a dSLR you will observe that the LCD review is useful to zoom in on the picture to make sure you have good focus... otherwise the eyepiece is probably the best way frame your pictures. In order to facilitate live preview the mirror would have to be reconfigured, and any other solution would result in thhe image you see not being an actual "through the lens" representation.

When I was making the move to a dSLR a lot of my "photography snob" friends universally told me that live review is not a feature any serious photographer would need... I personally wouldn't go that far, I think its useful in some situations... the feature I would love to see more than a live preview would be a live histogram... but this too would require reconfiguring the mirror.

jeisner
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
other film based SLRs by Pentax for example.

That is not just limited to film with Pentax, their DSLRs have the biggest viewfinders too... I think the reason Nikon and Canon do this (as they did it with film too) is to differentiate their consumer and professional ranges, Pentax is really all amatuer range in 35mm as MF is their pro range, so they don't need to differentiate in this way.. Could just simply be cost cutting too...

the feature I would love to see more than a live preview would be a live histogram... but this too would require reconfiguring the mirror.

A heads up display that gave a live histogram would be easier than giving live preview, and would be more usefull/practical IMO...

TheObiJuan
06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
angle finder can be added and will help. But the newer LCD that is mounted on the viewfinder looks like a better alternative. It may not be very bright or high quality though.