PDA

View Full Version : Putting images back on camera

Winemonger
09-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I downloaded images from my digital camera (Gateway DC-M42 Digital Camera) to my computer and copied them to a CD; then deleted the images from the internal memory.

My DVD player, connected to my TV does not support VCD. Oh NO! :(

I tried to put the images back on the camera, so I could view them on the TV from my camera.

The camera does not see the files that were reloaded onto it. It only sees the new images that were taken by the camera.

I guess the image files were changed when they were down loaded but I don't know how to change them back.

Does anyone have any sugestions?

Thanks,

Keith

kgosden
09-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Most likely whatever method you have used to move or edit the photos has destroyed the EXIF data headers. This is a special area of a JPEG file that is used by the camera to store information about the image like shutter speed, flash setting, camera name, etc. It serves no purpose for image display, but a lot of cameras look at it to determine if the file is indeed a photo.

I do not know of any simple way to recreate the header info. In theory it is possible and you probably could use the same header info for all the photos since the camera just expects it to be there, but probably doesn't really read it. The problem is that this is not a simple task without a lot of knowledge.

There are a lot of programs that do not cause it to be destroyed when editing. Windows XP is known to destroy the data if you use the built in photo veiwer for even opening and then saving the files. If all you do is copy through Windows Explorer then you should have been safe.

Winemonger
09-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm out of Luck. Do you have any idea how to display images on the TV without keeping everything on the camera?

Thanks,

Keith

kgosden
09-07-2004, 09:17 PM
There are a ton of methods for displaying your photos on a TV; they just depend on the tools and TV at hand. First off, burn a CD full of JPEGs as a lot of current DVD players will display those no problem. Then there are a variety of TV photoviewers. The most common one that comes to mind is Sandisk Photo Viewer (http://www.sandisk.com/retail/dpv.asp). I have seen it for as little as $19 or even free with a 512MB CF card purchase. It works, but it can be a bit slow.