PDA

View Full Version : Best Zoom for D70 <$300

cbphotogirl
06-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Okay, I'm looking for a decent zoom for the D70 under $300. I'm going blind reading about the options. Buy this, don't buy that... Any suggestions? Sigma, Tamron, Nikon? I'm spinning. :p

sarcazmo
06-05-2005, 02:10 PM
What range are you looking for?

I'd say a good lens is the Tamron 28-75 2.8. It's right around $350 @ Digital Foto w/ a 30 dollar rebate.

cbphotogirl
06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
oh sorry, I have the 18 - 70 nikkor ED, I was thinking along the lines of the 70 - 300 nikkor ED but the reviews aren't very good.

D70FAN
06-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay, I'm looking for a decent zoom for the D70 under $300. I'm going blind reading about the options. Buy this, don't buy that... Any suggestions? Sigma, Tamron, Nikon? I'm spinning. :p

The Sigma 18-125 ($270) for an everyday walk-around lens. Here are some examples:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Most of these shots are using the Sigma 18-125 with a D70.

Ray Schnoor
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
oh sorry, I have the 18 - 70 nikkor ED, I was thinking along the lines of the 70 - 300 nikkor ED but the reviews aren't very good.
I have a Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Tele-Macro which I believe I got for about $200. You can see some recent photos here: http://rschnoor.smugmug.com/gallery/547288
Ray.

Bullitt
06-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I have the Nikkor AF 70-300mm ED and all my shots are just fine, don't always believe what you read in reviews... Go to your local retailer and try it out for yourself... The only downside is handheld shots w/o a tripod when using wide open, same as any lens this size will be... unless you are steadier than most people...

fire365
06-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I myself was also in the market for a cheep zoom lens and bought the Nikkor AF 70-300 G. Now most of what you read online say that this isn't a good lens but I would have to dissagree I think that for the money it is a very good deal, your getting a nice zoom range and it is a lightweight lens. Though this means there are less elments in the lens I think that it still produces very sharp and clean pictures. Plus you can get it for under 200 bucks in local retailers, that's a pretty good deal in my book. I would like smaller apatures on it but I think you can work around it. I think that you would be happy with this lens.

Here is a picture of a flower in my back yard I took with the lens I hope that helps you.

Chris

D70FAN
06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I myself was also in the market for a cheep zoom lens and bought the Nikkor AF 70-300 G. Now most of what you read online say that this isn't a good lens but I would have to dissagree I think that for the money it is a very good deal, your getting a nice zoom range and it is a lightweight lens. Though this means there are less elments in the lens I think that it still produces very sharp and clean pictures. Plus you can get it for under 200 bucks in local retailers, that's a pretty good deal in my book. I would like smaller apatures on it but I think you can work around it. I think that you would be happy with this lens.

Here is a picture of a flower in my back yard I took with the lens I hope that helps you.

Chris

Or you can buy the "very nice" Sigma 70-300 APO for $249.

Anyone looking for a Nikkor 70-300 G? I have one I never use. ;) Not free of course, but...

nooner
06-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Sigma 70-300 APO :cool:

Grog
07-04-2005, 07:02 AM
I have had two Sigma 300mm lenses, had. One was a D for Nikon the other a AF for a Pentax. Both had Macro switches on them and on both the macro switch would not always return to normal. I would have to take the lens off the camera to get it to return.
I have not owned a Nikon 70-300mm but am thinking of buying one. Some reviewer say good things about the lens others not so good. But I do know that problems with lens on a 35mm film camera do not mean they will have the same problem on a Digital. Because a digital does not use the whole light circle because of the smaller senser. The DX lens for digital have a smaller light circle so will not work with 35mm film.

N80, D70s :D

Kenyada
07-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I, too, have been searching for a good zoom lens for my D70 that I've had for about a year. Over time, I've come to accept my limitations (with regard to price). I call my new Sigma 70-300mm zoom ($219) my ITM (in the meantime) lens, because I'm hoping to step up to the Nikon 70-200mm lens I reeeeally want at XMas bonus time. My purchase was based largely on the posts I've read here over the past several weeks. So thanks, everyone.

I have two hopes: First, that my ultimate Nikon lens turns out to be worth the wait, and secondly, that everyone on my Christmas list accepts the bag of M&Ms in the joyous holiday spirit with which it was given. :D