PDA

View Full Version : How big of a memory card is actually needed for real world use?

Cerwin Vega Fan
09-06-2004, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine that just purchased two 1 GB memory cards.:eek: Seriously IMO their is no way someone should need that much space just for pictures. My question is how much memory do you think you could get by with? I say I could get by with 128, 256, and maybe a 512 card if I was going take short videos.

Rhys
09-06-2004, 01:08 PM
A friend of mine that just purchased two 1 GB memory cards.:eek: Seriously IMO their is no way someone should need that much space just for pictures. My question is how much memory do you think you could get by with? I say I could get by with 128, 256, and maybe a 512 card if I was going take short videos.

It really depends on which camera and the filing system. For example, on a 2mp Olympus C200Z, I recall my file sizes were 500 - 750k. On my S1 it can go up to 2.5mb. On the dSLRs, it's possible to have 10+Mb file sizes.

If I take short videos on my S1, I get just over two minutes on a 256mb card and just over 8 on a 1GB card - at the largest image size, as an example.

kgosden
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Well I guess that depends on how many photos you want to be able to take. With my current C505Z (5 megapixels) files are around 2.5MB or a bit larger. I have used as much as 1.5GB in a single day. On a typical week long trip I can take 600-1000 photos; that adds up to maybe 3GB. That happens to work out to approximately how much memory I carry.

Of course, I have spent the past 5 or so years aquiring media for various reasons. But recently the prices on most standard cards (let's not call MemoryStick or xD standard) have fallen dramatically. I regularly see 256MB CF cards for ~$20 after shipping, etc. Even in my camera that is +75 photos. I am almost tempted to treat it like film negatives and just buy more for each trip. It is certainly less than buying and developing 3-4 rolls of film. I say that many since I would only archive the keepers on the cards. To do that on film I have to waste it.