PDA

View Full Version : ist DS problem in low and med light

Edienberg
05-31-2005, 10:13 PM
I just recently upgraded the firmware on my ist DS to Ver 1.02. After doing so I stared to experience problems in med to low light levels. The flash will pop up, but it will never strobe to meter nor will it ever release the shutter. It is almost like the flash stopped working, but I also get this problem in light levels where I should not need a flash. I am using a Pentax smc DA 18-55mm lens. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Erik

jeisner
06-01-2005, 12:02 AM
mmm, I have the same firmware but haven't noticed any problems... Are you using auto-program mode??? try AV mode and see if you have any problems, or only in the auto mode??? have you tried re-loading the firmware???

I will check tonight too, I only use AV and M modes, so I wouldn't have noticed if it was only in auto mode, but it would have been all over the dpreview forum if it was a blanket problem with 1.02, I still suggest try to reflash the firmware just as the first step... P.S. download it again don't use the one you already have!

jeisner
06-01-2005, 05:16 AM
OK, tried my camera and no probles in any mode... try redownloading and then reflashing the firmware first off...

Edienberg
06-01-2005, 05:41 AM
I just flashed the firmware update again. It does not seem to help in auto mode. When I take pictures in M or Av mode the shutter releases, but the pictures are under exposed @ 1/180 and f4.5 in a good amount of light.

jeisner
06-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Did you download it again? or flash the one you had... Sorry just clutching at straws trying to save you some time, although you might have to take it back for service! :(

Edienberg
06-01-2005, 07:46 AM
I did redownload it from pentaxusa.com. Thanks for trying to help. I guess I'll be talking with Pextax service this afternoon.

Erik

WightWalker
06-01-2005, 10:34 AM
My commiserations to Edienberg concerning his problems, but unless there is a very good reason i.e. to obtain 2GByte recognition, I would always strongly advise against updating the firmware just for the sake of it – this goes for any product whether it be computer, camera, or whatever.

The original firmware works fine & recognises SD Cards up to 1 GByte; I personally haven’t seen any in excess of this & would rather have two 1GByte cards that one 2Gbyte.

Notwithstanding the above, the latest firmware should function & according to the release notes should not affect the areas that have caused you problems.

Changes to V1.02
Correspond to the SD memory card greater than 1GB, also Version 1.02 include the additional function which was released at Version 1.01.

Changes to V1.01
At the long time exposure situation such as astronomical photography, green noise might be generated partially on the image when the noise reduction is turned on.
This phenomenon only occur rarely under special shooting condition such as starry sky, and will never occur at the general situation that we are assuming.
The version 1.01 will minimize this phenomenon as much as possible for the customer who use *istDS for this purpose.

Edienberg
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Does anybody have a copy of either of the earlier firmwares? I had the Ver1.0 before the update.

WightWalker
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Does anybody have a copy of either of the earlier firmwares? I had the Ver1.0 before the update.
Check this out:

http://www.pentax.ch/index.php?id=500&type=1

also

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/ja/dls/FIRMWARE/ds_e101w.exe

Edienberg
06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Alright...after talking with Pentax support and some more troubleshooting I/we were able to determine the problem has something to do with the built in flash. It simply does not work. The camera when in auto picture mode, and low light level won't function. If I put the camera in any other mode with the flash down it works as planned, with the exception of low light levels because I get a real slow shutter speed, if ever the flash is up the shutter will not release no matter which mode I am in. I guess I will be sending the camera back to Pentax for service, thanks for all of your help and ideas.

Erik

WightWalker
06-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the update & I hope that everything is soon resolved.

I would still advise against updating the firmware unless it is for a very specific purpose & not just for the sake of it.