PDA

View Full Version : D70 and moire: problem solved?

chris256
05-30-2005, 10:47 AM
Hello,

I'd like to buy a D70, but the last issue that makes me hesitate is the problem of moire.
From the early reviews I read from D70, I noticed D70 had a problem of moire, as seen on this picture: moire problem (http://img2.dpreview.com/gallery/nikond70_samples/originals/dsc_0153.jpg)

Do you know if this problem has been corrected by a firmware update.

That would be very nice if I could have an answer as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot,
Christophe

TheObiJuan
05-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Sorry, no firmware upgrade can remove it. It is part of the chip's design, or lack of design.

It aint that bad, and even in the pic you posted, in print, at A4, I probably wouldn't notice it. But if it really bothers you, I would recommend getting a different camera, since you will be looking for moire in all of your pictures.
What's your budget?

What do you want to shoot? The D2H is a great camera. :D

Rex914
05-30-2005, 04:58 PM
It's not as bad a problem as people make it. It just happens when you shoot certain subjects in certain ways (i.e. highly detailed and textured materials like fabrics would incite this problem).

chris256
05-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks for your answers. :)
In fact, my budget is really limited. So the choice is between D70 and canon 300D (that is 100$ cheaper).
Are there programs that can remove moire efficiently? (without altering image quality)
Could someone test them on the image I posted and show the result?

Thanks a lot,
Christophe

D70FAN
05-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your answers. :)
In fact, my budget is really limited. So the choice is between D70 and canon 300D (that is 100$ cheaper).
Are there programs that can remove moire efficiently? (without altering image quality)
Could someone test them on the image I posted and show the result?

Thanks a lot,
Christophe

You might want to wait for the Nikon D50. Yes it will still dissplay some moire, but as a D70 owner I can say that moire has not been a problem in over 7000 frames (so far).

The D50 kit should be about $899. As always...try before your buy.

sarcazmo
06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Another happy D70 owner here. I have not had to worry about it at all.

Ray Schnoor
06-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Another happy D70 owner here. I have not had to worry about it at all.
Same here. I assume that you can get moire if you try to find objects that will cause it, but in over a year owning a D70 and several thousand photos, I have yet to notice it in any of my shots.
Ray.

TheObiJuan
06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
If woven fabrics, mesh, window screens, or any complex/repetative patterns, are ever in your photos then be careful. The new LEICA DIGITAL-MODUL-R also suffers from this, and some sample images show this.

D70FAN
06-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Hello,

I'd like to buy a D70, but the last issue that makes me hesitate is the problem of moire.
From the early reviews I read from D70, I noticed D70 had a problem of moire, as seen on this picture:

Do you know if this problem has been corrected by a firmware update.

That would be very nice if I could have an answer as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot,
Christophe

It seems like the people having the most trouble with moire' on the D70, are people that don't own one. Even Jeff had a tough time duplicating moire' in some shots, but managed to do so with the "pointy building".

But, if it is going to keep you awake at night, then buy something else...like a 20D.

Ant
06-04-2005, 12:57 AM
It seems like the people having the most trouble with moire' on the D70, are people that don't own one.

LOL. Classic comment, and so true :)

Another D70 owner here who has never seen moire in any of his pics. :p

TheObiJuan
06-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Also, it ain't nothin' that can't be removed in post processing by Nikon Capture.