PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wierd images from my IXUS V3

edmund_yung
09-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Something really bad has gone wrong with my Canon IXUS V3! I think its CCD is somehow damaged. Check out these photos.

The last thing I adjusted the settings before I got these images was when I'm indoor with fluorescent lighting. I set the white balance with a gray card. After that I shot about 10 photos, then I headed to the outdoor. I found out that its LCD was showing everything in purple. I thought it's the whitebalance problem, so I set it back to Auto, it won't fix. FYI, it's using the latest firmware from Canon.

I'd ran through a simple experiment and found out that the ISO got something to do to cancel out the purple colour. Can anyone explain what's happening to my camera? Is is possible to fix it?

killyrbf
10-28-2004, 01:14 PM
I have the very same problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

edmund_yung
10-28-2004, 09:15 PM
I sent it to Canon for servicing and it cost US$130 to fix it. They say I should handle the cam with care, saying that the problem is caused my dropping or hit something. I don't really believe what they said, because I didn't drop it or anything before the problem occur, the day before it broke, i could still take beautiful sun set shot!

killyrbf
10-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.

That cost is in US$, right? I'm in the Philippines and I know it'll cost more to have it fixed here.

I haven't dropped or bumped my camera on anything too. I wonder what's the real reason for this.

Thanks again.

edmund_yung
10-29-2004, 09:56 AM
No problem, I'm just helping here. Anyway, the actualy amount is RM503 as I live in Sarawak, Malaysia (Borneo?) so I don't think it will be any more expensive there in Phil.

DonaldPK
03-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm just browsing and jumped to this thread.

Edmund, I'm from Kuching too and I also have a Ixus V3. My problem is that the CCD captures nothing at all and the pictures come out all black. I was also quoted the same price to fix the CCD. Same reasons given by Canon that I dropped or bumped the camera which I definitely did not. I suspect Canon has a faulty CCD unit on this camera but they won't acknowledge it. And they want to charge exorbitant prices to fix it.

FYI, I was taking perfectly good pictures the day before and the camera just died the next day. Barely 2 years old and already dead and the camera was never abused or heavily used. What a waste. my next camera will be a Nikon.

edmund_yung
03-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Sounds to me like there's somekind of auto suicide code inside the ccd... Wow, then you're a little more unlucky than me, coz I used mine quite heavily.

Anyway, my IXUS turned even worse, now the picture while previewing through LCD before any pics were taken look like it's colour been washed using water. I can't make out anything from the LCD. After a pic was taken, tons of horizontal lines go thru the pics...

It'll be nice if someone could give some sciencetific explaination to this phenomenom. I never read about this anywhere. I will give my IXUS to anyone who is curious about the problem and wanted to find out the cause.

laifun
08-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi, my 2yr old Ixus V3's ccd sensor also failed me. Jus wondering if you did repair it and it got worst after that? If you didn't repair it, what are the factors that prevent you from doing so?

edmund_yung
08-15-2005, 12:42 AM
Nope, I din repair mine cuz it's just too expsive to repair it (RM530). It's not worth, IMHO, to spend so much to fix such an old cam.

I bought a S1 IS instead. That day (6 months later) I dropped it and broke the lens. It cost even more to repair it (RM600) but I got it repair anyway cuz I dun have any more money to buy a new one.

Btw, even though the S1's CCD and IXUS's CCD are literally the same, I cannot fit the S1's CCD into the IXUS cuz different connector. darn electronics...

chkok
09-02-2005, 08:14 AM
My A70 started taking black pictures since 19-8-2005, after 21 months of ownership.

Sent to Canon Marketing (M) sdn bhd and it quoted RM299 to fix it. (again CCD unit failure).

I am too unhappy because this camera is the fifth most expensive thing I bought.

edmund_yung
09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the A70 also use the same 1/2.7" ccd as the V3. I guess there's some defect with that batch of ccd. Maybe Canon put some "suicide" code inside the CCD. Just my imagination...

I work in a photolab, and I go one customer with the same cam as mine, with the exact problem. But she used the cam for around two years.

edmund_yung
10-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Check out this Canon-Asia website (http://www.canon-asia.com/index.jsp?fuseaction=image-phenomena_notice), maybe this is it! And the service is free of charge!

A problem has been discovered in some of the CCDs used in Canon digital camera and digital video camera products that causes images to appear distorted or not to appear at all. We apologize for the considerable inconvenience this represents for our customers. Along with our respectful apology, we would like to advise our customers of the details of this issue and our policy for handling it, which are as follows.

Affected Models

The CCDs in question are used in the following models.

Digital Cameras

PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

Digital Video Cameras

MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50

The Malfunction
Among the CCDs used in the affected products listed above, it has been confirmed that, especially under high-temperature/high-humidity environments, the internal wiring may come undone in some places.

If this defect occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD correctly when in shooting mode, which results in symptoms like the following in captured images. These symptoms can be confirmed on the LCD monitor. The same symptoms may also occur in recorded images.

Images do not appear

Images appear distorted

Canon’s Response
With apologies for the inconvenience involved, we ask that users who have confirmed these symptoms contact the nearest Canon Service Center. Free repairs will be made for affected products in cases where it has been confirmed that the internal CCD wiring has come undone in some places.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. We strive to make even greater efforts in our quality control to provide products that our customers can use with confidence. We hope that these efforts will earn your continued patronage.

edmund_yung
11-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Just yesterday, Canon Malaysia just asked me whether I agree to trade in my V3 for a IXUS 50. He said the the V3's part will come in within a few months time, but if I agree to trade it, I'll get the IXUS 50 by next week. I agreed, of course, since it's FREE OF CHARGE!

I'll have to see what they give me myself to verify what's happening. For now, my guess is it's cheaper to replace the V3 sensor with in exchange of an IXUS 50 (now replaced by IXUS 55 in the market) than to start producing the sensor in factory.

I also have a feeling that the "Trade in" is not for everyone, according to the way the service lady talked to my bro (he was there to bring in the charger and the battery for trade in).

I hope Canon dun turn his back on me, asking me "What V3? I don't know any V3 of yours..."

jatinder_litt
06-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi guys, I am in Australia and I got my IXUS V3 long time ago. Suddenly one day it start malfunction.
1 – Outdoor pictures appears too bright

2 – Indoor pictures got horizontal lines in it.

I took it to the Canon Australia, while the technician clicking pictures indoor from my camera said nothing wrong with it. When I ask him click outdoor he noticed the difference and said it got some problem in lens assembly and it would cost me $350. I ask him why this problem come up, he replied because of shock, but I always handled my camera with care never dropped any help?