PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in dusty and dirty conditions....

Savannah
05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I have a great opportunity to shoot motorcross this weekend. It will be very dusty and I was wondering if you guys could share some tips on how to keep my camera clean. My main concern of course is dust getting into the sensor. As much as I would like to change lenses, I don't think that would be a good idea. Should I be concerned? What do you do under these conditions? Thanks

TheObiJuan
05-26-2005, 03:41 PM
I did it all the time in my 350D. I changed lenses with utmost care, always with my back to the wind and camera pointed down.

With a rocket blower you shouldn' have any problems.
Later when you get home do a thorough cleaning with compressed air for the body of the camera and lens.

D70FAN
05-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a great opportunity to shoot motorcross this weekend. It will be very dusty and I was wondering if you guys could share some tips on how to keep my camera clean. My main concern of course is dust getting into the sensor. As much as I would like to change lenses, I don't think that would be a good idea. Should I be concerned? What do you do under these conditions? Thanks

I use a soft and wide artist brush to pre clean the lens base and lens area if possible when changing lenses. Whether this does any good or not I really don't know, but I've ony seen dust on the sensor once, in 15 months, and fortunatly it didn't stick.

DOH! I just jinxed myself... knock on wood.

serafin
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=George Riehm]I use a soft and wide artist brush to pre clean the lens base and lens area if possible when changing lenses. Whether this does any good or not I really don't know, but I've ony seen dust on the sensor once, in 15 months, and fortunatly it didn't stick.

=================

My arsenal for sensor cleaning is 3 tools deep:

1) Bulb blower
2) Brushes
3) PecPads/Swab (homemade a la Copperhill method)

I don't use the bulb much anymore, as it seems to move the dust around rather than remove it. I use brushes 99% of the time, and only use wet swabs for the most stubborn dust bunnies.

The brush technique is described here:

<http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html>

I picked up an inexpensive pair of 'sizing-free' ones on e-Bay (e-Bay search on 'sensor brush' should find them) - one for mirror box area, and the other for the sensor. Blast the bristles with canned air for a few seconds to put a static charge in them, and they suck the dust right out with gentle application (don't press hard!). Keeping the mirror box clean seems to reduce the need to clean the actual sensor (and helps keeps your focusing screen clean too).

I see some folks talking about using Scotch tape on other forums, but that sounds insane to me!

serafin