PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic FZ20, Nikon D70, or Canon 350D?

mike62
05-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I need help deciding on the above 4 cameras. I like the Panasonic due to the 12X optical but don't think it will offer the speed (shutte lag) I want versus the others. The biggest two things I want is a good zoom and a faster capture speed. Will these cameras allow fast shooting?
Thanks.

Rhys
05-26-2005, 12:51 PM
I need help deciding on the above 3 cameras. I am leaning towards the Panasonic due to the 12X optical. The biggest two things I want is a good zoom and a faster capture speed. Will these cameras allow fast shooting?
Thanks.

Different cameras...

The Panasonic includes the lens as it's all-in-one. It's an excellent camera.

The D70 is a camera with a history of failures at just about the end of the warranty period. It's heavy and you have to add on lenses.

The 350D is by far the better camera of the lot. It takes extra lenses but I'd say it's better than the D70 and the Panasonic.

TheObiJuan
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
The panny doesn't do good in low light, it doesn't have a big buffer, it doesn't do well for cropping, and it's resolution is a bit on the low side for large prints.

But all in all, it is a great camera for the money.

If money is no concern and you want a small and great dslr, get the 350D.

Incidentally, I went to walmart and saw my old Kodak DX6490 and held it. It seemed so large back when I had it, now it looks like a toy! The 20D is 4x heavier and bigger.

Ray Schnoor
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
If money is a problem, you will probably be happiest with the FZ20. I haven't actually used one, but from the Panasonic forums, it seems that most owners are happy with their camera.

You probably wouldn't go wrong with either the 350D or D70, but you might want to look at the D70s instead of the D70. It is an updated version of the D70. I'm sure that most Nikon owners will point you towards the D70/D70s and that most Canon owners will point you towards the 350D. It's best to try both and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.

As to zoom, with the dSLRs you could either go with 2 lenses to cover a 12x range, or get the Sigma 18-200(11x zoom) as an alternative.

Ray.

MissJezabelle
05-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I have the canon, and personally loved it. i shopped and compared for 6 months before buying

Rex914
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I need help deciding on the above 3 cameras. I am leaning towards the Panasonic due to the 12X optical. The biggest two things I want is a good zoom and a faster capture speed. Will these cameras allow fast shooting?
Thanks.

If you want fast shooting, you will want a DSLR, eliminating shutter lag, recycle times, and reducing focusing speeds to virtually nothing. But they cost a pretty penny, especially if you want to replicate the FZ20's huge zoom range at the constant f/2.8. What's your budget?

TheObiJuan
05-26-2005, 02:23 PM
what type of shooting do you do or aspire to do?

D70FAN
05-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Different cameras...

The D70 is a camera with a history of failures at just about the end of the warranty period. It's heavy and you have to add on lenses.

I would seriously like to see the statistical data on D70 failures? I didn't know this was a big problem.

Rex914
05-26-2005, 02:38 PM
You don't see his sarcasm when he said "and you have to add on lenses?"

Or are we just playing along as normal? :D

D70FAN
05-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks.

Mike, You really need to physically try all 3, and if you can wait for the Nikon D50 in June, then it might be worth the wait to add to your list.

With a long zoom lens (as per Rays suggestion) like the Sigma 18-200 the lowest cost dSLR kit will be around $1150 (D50+ Sigma 18-200 lens).

The dSLR's are considerably faster, but the FZ20 may be fast enough for what you want to do (whatever that is). If so, you can save a considerable amount of money as it is about half the cost of a dSLR.

Again, try all of them (including the D50) and decide which meets your needs. I have had my D70 for 15 months, and like it enough to buy a D70s and keep the D70 as a back-up/family loaner.

Rhys
05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I would seriously like to see the statistical data on D70 failures? I didn't know this was a big problem.

There have been at least two on this website. And I understand that there is a growing number of D70 failures. I have heard of no Canon dSLR failures in comparison.

D70FAN
05-26-2005, 03:07 PM

I would like to think that is true. Either way.

Ray Schnoor
05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
There have been at least two on this website. And I understand that there is a growing number of D70 failures. I have heard of no Canon dSLR failures in comparison.

I don't think that Rhys was being sarcastic, but if you wait till next week, I'm sure that he will be "irked" enough to not buy Canon, again. Now, that was sarcasm.:D

Ray Schnoor
05-26-2005, 04:33 PM

I know that this isn't scientific or from Nikon, but Consumer Reports reader poll has Canon as a digital camera brand with ~4% repair/problem, while Nikon is at 6%. They have Sony in the lead, though, at about 3%. I believe I read somewhere in this forum, though, that almost everything Sony makes, breaks. So much for preconceived ideas.

Ray.

D70FAN
05-26-2005, 04:53 PM

Outside of the two failures here (one was mine), I have not heard of any other documented failures with the D70. So I'm wondering where the growing number is comming from. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't seen them.

Outside of a few minor problems with the 300D (ERR99) and some back-focus problems with the early 20D's, I haven't heard much from the Canon side either.

For what it's worth Nikons service was quick and easy, which took some of the sting out of being without the D70 for 2 weeks. Bottom line: I would buy another D70 (or D70s) without hesitation.

mike62
05-27-2005, 06:26 AM
I am just a hobbiest type with no real expertise but when I do take pictures I like having the ability to do different things. Shutter lag was a big big issue since I have missed so many opportunities waiting. I read so many good things about the whole Canon line including the Rebel XT which is on the list too that I did not mention. These cameras cost more than I can really justify but if I am going to spend $400-$500 on a new one I can't not see spending the extra money (another $400-$500) to get a camera that should meet my needs for a lifetime. With that said I would like to keep it as far under a $1,000 to get started as I can.

D70FAN
05-27-2005, 08:23 AM
I am just a hobbiest type with no real expertise but when I do take pictures I like having the ability to do different things. Shutter lag was a big big issue since I have missed so many opportunities waiting. I read so many good things about the whole Canon line including the Rebel XT which is on the list too that I did not mention. These cameras cost more than I can really justify but if I am going to spend $400-$500 on a new one I can't not see spending the extra money (another $400-$500) to get a camera that should meet my needs for a lifetime. With that said I would like to keep it as far under a $1,000 to get started as I can.

Then you might do well to go with either the D50 (in June) or the 350D. The kit lens on the 350D is usable (but what do you want for $100?) and I haven't seen any pre-release info on the new Nikon 18-55 kit lens yet.

The D50 with kit lens is $899. The 350D with kit lens is $949.

Another entry level alternative is the Canon 300D with kit lens for $747. While the start up time is a little slow (around 3 seconds), shooting speed is as good as any, and with the firmware hack (easily installed) the 300D has all of the bells and whistles of the 10D. A very good value overall, and a good compromise between cost and functionality.

Rhys
05-27-2005, 09:08 AM
IMO, the 350D bought body only for $800ish from buydig (saw the price last night) and a decent Sigma/Tamron lens would probably be a better buy than the 350D with the kit lens and I'd imagine it'd be better than the D70. However, I did see one Canadian reviewer comparing the two side-by-side and advocating the D70. Personally, I prefer the lighter weight of the XT/D350 and the extra 2 megapixels could come in handy.

The review site is: http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70vsRebelXT_pg3.shtml

TEQUILA\AD
06-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Hi. I've been reading this site for a long time now. My first and only digital camera purchase was actually based on a review here, a Canon Powershot S10. Ancient, but still ticking.

Anyway, I was undecided between the D70 and 350D until I read this thread. All of the reviews I've read of the 350D mention how the finish makes it feel cheap and that it's easily scratched. Is this really a big issue? or just niggling?

Finally, the big question. Which lens would be a good/cost effective choice to take the place of the kit lens?

Thank you.

eagle17
06-04-2005, 06:48 AM
First of all I actually OWN the 350D and do not know where this easily scrached myth comes from... IT is lighter and smaller than both the nikon D70 and the canon 300D and 20D but it is not in any way CHEAP fealing.

I actually bought this camera from dell for $670 shipped and have to say it is a great little camera if you are looking for something smaller.

as for the lens I would suggest a sigma 18-125 for a replacement to the kit lens it is sharper and you can find good quality used ones for sale in the $200 range on the fredmiranda.com buy sell forums.