PDA

View Full Version : The RAW Flaw

Norm in Fujino
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Have others seen The Raw Flaw (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml) over on Luminous Landscape? I'm wondering what the support looks like for the open format here on dc resources, and whether the management has a position, or would be willing to post the open letter prominently.

TheObiJuan
05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
That whole letter assumes that people dont see their equipment being obsolote. If this does happen, then I will copy my raw files from the old medium to the new medium. Problem done.

Norm in Fujino
05-25-2005, 08:26 PM
That whole letter assumes that people dont see their equipment being obsolote. If this does happen, then I will copy my raw files from the old medium to the new medium. Problem done.

Not hardly. The main point of the article is that the medium is only the tip of the iceberg in this issue. The more important part is, what do you to do with all those newly-copied-to-new-media RAW files if they're no longer supported by the software or camera company? You'll have a lot of very fresh, nicely preserved--and useless RAW files. There's absolutely no guarantee that any company is going to provide a "converter" that converts obsolete RAW formats to newly updated RAW formats. Has anybody done it yet? On the contrary, the article points out that "There are in fact RAW formats in existence for which no manufacturer's software is currently available." These are simply useless orphans due to refusal of the original manufacturer to maintain backwards compatibility. And looking toward the future, it leaves untouched the whole issue of encryption and intellectual property rights.

I confess, it probably won't matter to me during my remaining lifetime (other than convincing me to be more careful about keeping backups of all the software programs I use for converting, and hoping that Mickysoft doesn't come up with a new Windoze that doesn't support current XP programs). On the other hand, what it says for the evental lacuna that occurs in digital records for the 21st century may be rather more staggering.

TheObiJuan
05-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Adobe photoshop 4 works on this puter, so does CS2.
If CS2 still is supported 8 years down the road I won't have any issues.
I can always print out the raw files and then save the prints for later scans if need be.

Poor Sigma, their SD10 RAW files are leading down a lonely road. I would like to see some standardization, however Nikon makes a bunch of money off of Capture that why would they?

Rhys
05-26-2005, 05:11 AM
I use several computers and as they're online, the only one I trust for data security runs Linux. I know nobody writes a raw decoder for Linux so I'm not going to use RAW files.

The point is taken though - no file format is guaranteed to last forever. JPEG is your best bet for future support. BMP is a Microsoft format and might not be supported by future systems. JPEG is an international standard so it should last a bit longer.

jeisner
05-26-2005, 05:20 AM
I know nobody writes a raw decoder for Linux so I'm not going to use RAW files.

Excuse me? no RAW for linux????

I use Bibble for my raw conversion they have Linux, mac and windows versions. As a debian user I use the Linux version obviously.....

www.bibblelabs.com

Also DCRAW which many of the RAW converters out there are actually based on, is also available for Linux...

http://www.insflug.org/raw/software/tools/dcraw.php3

There are also a couple of plugins for 'the GIMP' (all based on DCRAW)....

So plenty of options for Linux users to convert RAW ;)