PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Anyone with FZ20 + Nikon 6T Experience?

Tangomango
05-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I just got my Nikon 6T tonight. Tried out a few macro shots of orchids and they seem no different than I could get without the Nikon. Any ideas as to what I may be screwing up? The maximum it would allow me to zoom is 2x. Any higher it has trouble focussing. Here is an example of how my shots came out. Please help!

PS -- Attached picture is straight out of the camera and only resized to upload here.

Tangomango
05-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I reviewed some comments made on other sites regarding Nikon 6T and I found at least one post wherein this person (Mike Curtis on DPresource) has tested 6T from 1x to 48x (digital zoom) and does not report any issues regarding focussing. Help!

John_Reed
05-25-2005, 10:34 PM
I reviewed some comments made on other sites regarding Nikon 6T and I found at least one post wherein this person (Mike Curtis on DPresource) has tested 6T from 1x to 48x (digital zoom) and does not report any issues regarding focussing. Help!You start with your camera at full zoom, and then move back from your subject, and watch the EVF/LCD until you see your subject pop into focus. Generally subject focus distance will be about 10", not close-up, as you'd expect. You can lower or raise the zoom from 12X (full optical) but I think it's easiest to start from there. Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake when I first got my 6T!

Tangomango
05-26-2005, 05:38 AM
I stayed up till 2 AM last night (despite the meeting I had to attend at 8 am this morning). Played aroound with the 6T and realized the same thing you suggest John. Thanks! Its been worth it. Here is another sample.

astro
05-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I've been considering this macro lens.

But now that I hear that it requires 12x zoom, it doesn't sound too good anymore.

Isn't there a lot of chromatic abberation at 12x zoom?

Tangomango
05-29-2005, 07:50 PM
I tried to answer your question on 6T a moment ago but it for some reason it vanished -- so here is it again.

The 6T filter is a 2 element construction and works from wide to 12-x zoom -- which is the idea to capture the object in as much magnification. Here is another example of 12-x zoom using Nikon 6T. Hope this helps.

squirl033
01-07-2006, 06:08 PM
i've had a Nikon 6T for my FZ20 since last spring. the DOF is pretty shallow, but it will definitely allow focus at full zoom. the key is proper working distance. with the 6T on, the working distance from your subject is about 13 inches. any closer or farther away, and you will not be able to focus properly, and will have exactly the kind of problem you're describing. the formula to calculate working distance is as follows: f-1/d, where "f" is the focusing or working distance in meters and "d" is the diopter of the lens. for the 6T, this means f=1/2.9, or .34 meters. 1/3 of a meter is about 13".

the 6T (or the less powerful 5T) do not require any minimum or maximum zoom level. they will work at anything from 1x to 12x just fine.