PDA

View Full Version : More zoom for a DX6490/7590?

Cold Snail
09-04-2004, 03:50 PM
I thought it may be an idea to show an example shot taken with a Olympus TCON-17 lens to hopefully steer some of you away from that cheap rubbish that you can find on Ebay.

I spent a lot of time talking to owners of Panasonic FZ-10's about the best add-on teleconverter and they mainly agreed on the TCON-17 or B300 being the best zoom for the money.

Anyway, here is a couple of macros shot taken from around twenty feet away and shot at ISO 400 due to variable lighting.

These have only been resized.

http://cold-snail.smugmug.com/photos/7842799-M.jpg

This one was taken through a cage.

http://cold-snail.smugmug.com/photos/7842798-M.jpg

Any questions, feel free to ask.

yonco
09-05-2004, 04:54 AM
These are two lovely shots! Great work. The images are sharp and detailed, and the first picture is just stunning.
I am wondering, how much closer does that Olympus lens get you (by how much does it increase the zoom) and how did you know it fits your Kodak camera?

Cold Snail
09-05-2004, 07:31 AM
The TCON-17 is a x1.7 teleconverter, so it increases the zoom ratio to x17 or 626mm in 35mm speak.

I talked to a lot of Panasonic FZ-10 owners about these type of lenses and they all agreed that the B-300 and TCON-17 (which are both Olympus x1.7 lenses) work very well with their cameras and had a 55mm thread as well.

As the Kodak's adapter is 55mm, it didn't take long to start thinking about more zoom.

There are others out there which will give more magnification, but the quality does start to drop.

Here's the set-up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/coldsnail/tconon.jpg

Atindra
09-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Hey coldsnail great explanation for newbies like me.
Is TCON-17 available online?
Atindra

Cold Snail
09-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Is TCON-17 available online?
Atindra

As I'm from the UK it takes a little more time in finding one at the right price, but in the US it costs about $90, over here it's 90.

Just type in TCON-17 into Google and a list of retailers should appear for you to pick.

Don't forget the Kodak adapter as well.

yonco
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your explanation, Cold Snail. Helped me get it! :)
If I buy a Kodak DX7440 lens adapter, will this one work with mine too?

Cold Snail
09-05-2004, 09:28 PM
If I buy a Kodak DX7440 lens adapter, will this one work with mine too?

I am not familiar with the DX7440, but as far as I remember the adapter isn't available yet.
If you get the adapter and bought the nessary step-up rings it should work. (But you will need a bag twice as big to carry around, as this lens is bigger than my daughter's CX6230)

Don't forget when you have an extra lens on, that the flash is compromised and will suffer from shading.
Looking at an image of your camera, the viewfinder may get blocked as well.

yonco
09-06-2004, 04:51 AM
I am not familiar with the DX7440, but as far as I remember the adapter isn't available yet.
If you get the adapter and bought the nessary step-up rings it should work. (But you will need a bag twice as big to carry around, as this lens is bigger than my daughter's CX6230)

Don't forget when you have an extra lens on, that the flash is compromised and will suffer from shading.
Looking at an image of your camera, the viewfinder may get blocked as well.
Thank you for the answer. Your help is much appreciated. It's unbelievable how big lenses could be.
If I use this one on my DX7440, I'll have 6.8x optical zoom. Cool. :)