PDA

View Full Version : 2 very basic questions

boxgirl73
05-23-2005, 08:07 AM
What is each ISO used for? 50, 100, 200 and 400? Never know this so i thought you guys are the best people to ask.....and is this the shutter speed or is that something completely separate?

also....what is the aperature? I know the smaller aperature is a closed shot but i always get confused...is that the F8 or f1?

is there a book you would recommend that is easy to understand but yet informative for beginning photographers? i've been into photos for years but am now trying to go beyond just getting lucky shots with my P&S technique.

thanks in advance.

print-digital
05-23-2005, 08:51 AM
The smaller the aperture the bigger the number, so f22 would be a small aperture and would let less light onto the digital sensor.

Smaller apertures help to bring the whole image into focus instead of having a central focused point in the image.

The larger aperture (small number, f4 for example) would blur the background more.

The ISO system is a number rating indicating the relative sensitivity to light of an image sensor, so the higher the number the more sensitive to light the sensor becomes. The higher the number the more noise in the image, so using a quicker shutter speed might be a good idea or you could let to much light on to the image.

Hope this helps :)

boxgirl73
05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
thanks...very useful:)

aparmley
05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Just do a Google search on the things you would like to learn about and I am sure you will find enough information to help you out...

for example: I did a search on google.com with these search criteria: "Digital camera + ISO." The first page listed in the results was enough information to answer your question... this was the first page A basic beginners guide to digital photography (http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/basics/)