PDA

View Full Version : Auto Focus vs Manual Focus

Bluedog
05-22-2005, 10:36 PM
When do rely solely on MF'ing with your DSLR? I've found that with my Sigma 18-125mm set to AF its not reliable taking wide open close focusing shots, within say five feet. However switching to MF you can expect very good results. My new Tamron lens hasn't failed on a AF shot yet so I've seen no need for MF'ing with it, yet.

TheObiJuan
05-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I MF because usually it is faster, especially for macro shots. It is pretty silly waiting and recomposing, and pushing the shutter half way over and over to focus.

I use AF for sports and general shooting only. MF isn't bad if that is all you are pretty much used to.
With good MF lenses and a 'real' viewfinder, not like the one I have or your 350D has, MF can give excellent results.

When I do landscape shots, like at Enchanted Rock (where my pics got corrupted :mad: ) I used hyperfocal focusing.

Here is a good article on HF Focusing.
http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/hyperfocal.html

Rhys
05-23-2005, 06:13 AM
This is one of my gripes. Nikon made a perfectly supurb AI and AIS line of lenses. I love my AIS lenses but they chose not to support them on their D70/D100 and Fuji copied them. Quite honestly, I prefer MF to AF because once you've focussed, it won't slip out of focus on a whim. Plus... you use less battery power focussing by hand. The only downside of MF is when focal lengths reach 400mm and above, which is when fresnel rings and split screens become pretty useless.

erichlund
05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
The only downside of MF is when focal lengths reach 400mm and above, which is when fresnel rings and split screens become pretty useless.
No worrys. You won't find those screens on consumer grade autofocus cameras anyway. The D70 has a grid, but no focusing aids.

Cheers,
Eric

TheObiJuan
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
You can spend 100 dollars for a split screen for the 20D.
Many have done it and loved it. AF points remains accurate and MF is much easier.

erichlund
05-23-2005, 11:52 AM
That's something I wish my D70 had. C'est la vie.

Cheers,
Eric