PDA

View Full Version : EXIF data lost

Dingo
05-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I currentluy use Adobe PS Elements for messing with photos, and also i have an account with Pbase.
I uploaded a few shots and discovered ( Pbase message ) that EXIF data is missing due to having used Elements to resize / crop / manipulate.

I'm ragged about that ! Luckily its only about 7/8 pics, but hey.

I was using Image Shack to host at first, but its the most frustrating site to use, and they dont answer questions, so i dumped 'em.

Next step is to stop using PS Elements and upgrade to the adults version PS 6 or 7
Pbase said PS 6 keeps the EXIF despite any messing around, so i would assume that PS 7 ( currently trying to buy this on Ebay ) would also keep the EXIF ??

Hopefully :eek:

zeno333
05-21-2005, 09:48 PM
PS 7 for OSX keeps the data, and I presume the Windows version would also.

TheObiJuan
05-22-2005, 12:07 AM
I used to use elements 2, then 3, now cs and I am trying out cs2.
With all of them I retain exif. It must be a setting. When you click save as, look for any boxes that should be checked/unchecked on the dialog box.

Dingo
05-22-2005, 03:03 AM
I will check the settings Obi, but it was also Pbase that said i would not retain the EXIF while using that prog. And they were right

PS 7 is now on the way - better now buy a tute ! :D

rschofield
05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
If you use "Save for Web", PhotoShop Elements will strip the EXIF data to make the resulting file as small as possible. If you stick with "Save" and "Save As", EXIF will remain intact.

Dick

Dingo
05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
I never save for Web , Dick...always " save as " but still no EXIF.

I have the feeling my Elements is just too old . I have had that version for maybe over 4 years now.

TheObiJuan
05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
this doesn't make sense at all. My elements 2 and 3 save all my exif.
I must have a special or good version. :confused:

TheObiJuan
05-22-2005, 04:53 PM
I will check the settings Obi, but it was also Pbase that said i would not retain the EXIF while using that prog. And they were right

PS 7 is now on the way - better now buy a tute ! :D

Did you purchase it yet? If not then you can take my elements that came with my 20D. It should work fine, I never installed it as I already had the program.

Dingo
05-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Thats a great offer friend, and appreciated

but yes, i have bought PS 7 - 4 ( $8 - ish ) Its on its way

PS i think my elements is a lot older than yours :D

Dingo
05-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Tell me if this link works - if it does , you'll see the EXIF is missing on the photos

http://www.pbase.com/fruitbat

AlkaPhunk
05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I think you need to write something in the "tech notes" parts of the image edit windows pbase offers you.
Then a FULL EXIF appears right under your pic.
It works like this for me.

rschofield
05-23-2005, 07:37 AM
While this whole question will be moot when you get PS7, I'm interested in determining why your EXIF is missing. Might you be using PSE version 1 (available via Help -> About)? I have used both 2 and 3 with no EXIF problems.

Dick

Dingo
05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Alpha - i cant find anything about retaining EXIF data under " image edits " in Pbase. Can you point me to that section ?

Dick, i checked ' Help > About ' and theres nothing to tell me what version this is. Just get a scrolling window with what appears to be about a zillion peoples names accredited to Adobe.

But as you say, once PS7 turns up , its a moot :)

Dingo
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah -

heres the bit i mentioned earlier about EXIF

http://www.pbase.com/help/exif

AlkaPhunk
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Alpha - i cant find anything about retaining EXIF data under " image edits " in Pbase. Can you point me to that section ?

I don't know what more could i say.
When you open an image in your gallery on the upper left corner, you've got the "EDIT IMAGE" link. Click this one.
The next window is the edit window for your pic.
2/3 down you have "TECH NOTES" text box.
When i enter something in there (for ex. f/2.8 1/460s etc...) and clic "UPDATE IMAGE" (don't forget this) then if i go back to display image window, now there are the exif info available (or a link "show exif") just under the pic name.
Hope you'll find it.

AlkaPhunk
05-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Here are the capture of the places in the windows i talked about just before.
1st the display image window when you clic to see your pic.
2nd the edit image window after you clicked on the link shown on the 1st capture.

Dingo
05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks pal - yes i see what you mean now. But thats a manual loading of all your camera settings for each and every photo. I cant remember what each and every one was

When i first joined Pbase some years back ( when it was free no matter what ), i was using a little point and shoot Finepix 2800z 6 x opt zoom.

All EXIF data was uploaded automatically - never had to go into image edit and type it all in.

rschofield
05-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Dick, i checked ' Help > About ' and theres nothing to tell me what version this is. Just get a scrolling window with what appears to be about a zillion peoples names accredited to Adobe.

Dingo,

It looks like you have either an early or stripped down (Lite) version of PhotoShop Elements.

Dick

Dingo
05-25-2005, 08:29 AM
PS 7 has arrived now Dick - we'll see what happens now when i do any manipulation and load onto Pbase