PDA

View Full Version : FZ 20 or . . . .

isis
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
I need some opinions. I want to purchase a new camera and have been considering the new FZ-20 because of the long zoom. Is it my imagination or are the FZ-10 and 20 images a bit soft? When I see photos taken by the Sony 717 and that spectacular Carl Zeiss lense - I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with the sharp images produced by the Sony. Another question: is it possible that with the sharpness of the Zeiss lense on the Sony, the effect of the digital zoom might be acceptable on this camera?

John_Reed
09-03-2004, 01:56 PM
I need some opinions. I want to purchase a new camera and have been considering the new FZ-20 because of the long zoom. Is it my imagination or are the FZ-10 and 20 images a bit soft? When I see photos taken by the Sony 717 and that spectacular Carl Zeiss lense - I wonder if I wouldn't be happier with the sharp images produced by the Sony. Another question: is it possible that with the sharpness of the Zeiss lense on the Sony, the effect of the digital zoom might be acceptable on this camera?Does this shot look soft to you?
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/6252022-L.jpg
You can be honest, honest! It looks very sharp to me, taken with my FZ10 at full (optical only) zoom with a TCON-17 attached, handheld. Now, to compare with the 717, the basic FZ10 has 420/190 (respective maximum equivalent focal lengths) more reach than the 717, about a 220% improvement. And, the 717's minimum focal length for wideangle shots is 38mm, compared to the FZ10's wider 35mm. (Numbers change slightly for FZ20, whose zoom range is 36mm - 432mm) Carl Zeiss lenses may well be spectacular, but hey, that Leica lens isn't exactly chopped liver, I'd say. And, with the FZ10/FZ20, you get image stabilization, to let you get sharp shots in lighting conditions where the Sony would need a tripod. Certainly, if you're happier with the shorter reach of the Sony, content with photos taken in its more limited range, then it may be for you.

With respect to your question about sharpness for digital zoom, I looked at Phil Askey's (he of http://www.dpreview.com) numbers for lens resolution of the Sony 717 and the Panasonic FZ10 (the FZ numbers appear in his Canon S1 review, p8), and I'd say any difference in measured resolution shown there would be attributable to the difference in megapixels, 5 for the Sony vs. 4 for the FZ10. So you could use a digital zoom with the Sony, you'd have to do a 2.2X crop to yield the equivalent image size the FZ10 would capture at full zoom, which computes (square law) out to just a little over 1 megapixels left in your crop field. Think that will come out sharper than a straight 4 or 5 megapixel shot from one of the Panasonics?

isis
09-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Thank you John, for putting the FZ 10 sharpness & zoom issues in perspective for me.

John_Reed
09-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Thank you John, for putting the FZ 10 sharpness & zoom issues in perspective for me.Hakuna Matata, as they say in Swahili - No problem, always glad to be of help. I hope what I put up was helpful for you.

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Hakuna Matata, as they say in Swahili - No problem, always glad to be of help. I hope what I put up was helpful for you.

Somebody's been watching the Lion King again... ;)

As always the FZ amazes...

John_Reed
09-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Somebody's been watching the Lion King again... ;)

As always the FZ amazes...Hey George, Swahili was around long before The Lion King hit the silver screen. I picked up a T-shirt in Kenya saying "Hakuna Matata" on it a couple of years before TLK came out. So mzuri sana for bringing it up!

D70FAN
09-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey George, Swahili was around long before The Lion King hit the silver screen. I picked up a T-shirt in Kenya saying "Hakuna Matata" on it a couple of years before TLK came out. So mzuri sana for bringing it up!

Yeah. It's just that TLK made that saying famous world-wide. So now everyone can speak a little Swahili. Mass mdia is the key.

Thanks (I think). My Swahili is a little rusty, and the on-line translators appear to be pay-per-trans. I would be willing to bet that you would have liked to have had the FZ10 on that trip. I'm not even sure that the "lost 950" was out at that point.

judge9847
09-04-2004, 11:33 AM
All this talk of Swahili ... I feel a song coming on !! ;)

"WimOOweh .. ayayayayeeyay"

"Hi Wimo, Wimoweh ... "

Phew ... now if only I could hold a tune ... :) :) :)

isis
09-04-2004, 11:57 AM
All this hi-tech advice and Swahili too? I feel LUCKY! I love smiles. Thanks again.

John_Reed
09-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah. It's just that TLK made that saying famous world-wide. So now everyone can speak a little Swahili. Mass mdia is the key.

Thanks (I think). My Swahili is a little rusty, and the on-line translators appear to be pay-per-trans. I would be willing to bet that you would have liked to have had the FZ10 on that trip. I'm not even sure that the "lost 950" was out at that point.Naw, it was a lost 990, George. But the trip was in 1993, (before the dawn of the digital camera age!) and I even had a camera adventure there. I started out with an Olympus IS-1, had bought a telephoto extender for it to take it out to 220mm, I think. But when we got to London, and I was walking around shooting pictures of Buckingham Palace, etc., I noticed that my camera was stuck at f22! Nobody in London seemed to be ready to fix it that day (we were bound for Nairobi the next morning), so I was forced to buy a new camera, on the spot! I wound up with an Olympus IS-3, 35-180mm, and got some great pictures, but boy, would I love to go back there with the FZ10, you're right about that! But I did learn this: It's really great when you're experiencing beautiful scenery and wildlife like that, to have a camera with both wideangle and telephoto just a quick zoom apart without having to change anything. It's a great plus!