PDA

View Full Version : CameraWindow problem?

A520 Newbie
05-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone.

I've just got my first digital camera, the A520, wanted something relatively inexpensive and functional and am very pleased with it so far. Have helped other people with their cameras and am reasonably computer literate but have been having problems connecting the camera to my PC (am using XP Home).

I had some other (Nikon) digital camera software installed, which I completely removed before installing the provided Canon software.

I did the standard installation, restarted, followed instructions to the letter, and after plugging camera in and switching on (in 'play' mode), waited.

The CameraWindow event dialog doesn't automatically open, but the CameraWindow launcher appears in the taskbar as though it's trying to.

If you go >Programs >Canon Utilities >CameraWindow or open ZoomBrowser EX and try 'acquire', it says 'CameraWindow already running. Start aborted' - as though CW is open already, it's just not visible on my screen!

Clicking (left, right or double) on the taskbar icon doesn't do anything either, nothing opens, no menu or window, zip!

In 'My Computer', the camera is recognised as 'Canon Powershot A520', asking for camera properties gives 'The imaging device is busy, or may be in use by another application. You may cancel or continue to wait for the device to become available'.

The Microsoft Scanner/Camera wizard when launched tries to communicate and says 'The scanner or camera is in use. Please try again later'. By this point, the 'launcher' icon has vanished, but if you try to open CameraWindow manually, reappears and again, nothing else seems to happen!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I haven't got a cardreader at the moment, but if I pop the SD card into my PDA I can download my pics via that with no problem (just a bit slower), but I'm a bit mystified. I have uninstalled everything and tried again, and I've restarted half a dozen times but no luck.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Lauren

Help please
06-15-2005, 02:02 AM
I have had this EXACT same problem with my new SD300. Help would be very much appreciated!

A520 Newbie
06-15-2005, 03:23 AM
Well, I contacted the Canon helpdesk and explained the problem, and they replied with:

'After connecting the camera and letting Zoombrowser open, or opening it manually, press the blue Direct Transfer button on the camera. This will override any problems with the Camera Window program, and should start the download.'

Tried that, didn't work - nothing happens when I press this button - so contacted them again, saying this, and their next suggestions were:

'Please ensure that you connect the device directly to a USB port and not via an external hub or adaptor.

You could also uninstall and reinstall the software to rule out a software issue.

If the problem persists you could install and test it on a second PC to rule out a hardware fault.'

I'd tried all of those, all of my USB ports are direct but changing port didn't make a difference either. I haven't had a chance to try it on a second PC, but will do when I get access to another. In the meantime I'm doing the slightly ridiculous routine of putting the SD card into my PDA and downloading the pictures onto my PC from the card via the PDA!

Help please
06-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I should add that the CameraWindow occasionally pops up, but when it does, it is always empty - it displays no options for programs to launch.

A520 Newbie
06-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Yep, same here. Irritating, isn't it? I've deleted any other photo-imaging/camera software on my computer too.

Help please
06-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I tried plugging my camera into another PC, and it worked. The CameraWindow popped up, with a number of programs to select from. I chose one and the photos loaded successfully. Does this mean that the problem is with my computer, or my software, or my USB port, or what? I've also plugged in my brother's Nikon to my computer and the CameraWindow has successfully appeared with a number of options.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software a number of times. When I try to run Camera Wizard, it says the camera is in use.

Would my results be any different with a card reader?

milaub
06-16-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm having the same problem. Works on every other computer just fine. Anyone have a fix yet?

milaub
06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I found something that worked for me. I had tried uninstalling my USB ports, reinstalling the software. None of that worked. Here's what did: I deleted the USB registry for the camera, and let it reinstall. To do this, click start, go to run, and type regedit. Then go to HK_LOCAL_MACHINE - then System - Then Current Control Set - Then Unum - Then USB. Then keep expanding all the folders under USB and as you click on the different items on the right, you'll see that each one is for some USB Perephrial you've plugged in to your USB ports. Find the one for your Canon Camera, (mine was Vid_04a9&Pid_30b5, but this may vary) and delete the entire folder for the entry. In order to do this, I had to right click on the folder and choose 'permissions' and then check 'allow full control'. Then restart, your camera should reinstall the next time you connect it and turn it on. Good luck!

A520 Newbie
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Just tried that - camera reinstalled.. nothing happened.. so I launched CameraWindow via the Start Menu.. took a long time to do anything, with the CameraWindow Launcher sitting in the taskbar.. then the CameraWindow appeared but no programs were listed in the window (this happened previously too). :confused:

vedanthi
06-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi,
Try this once. All software in. Keep the camera on. And restart the computer with Camera on. See the Windows explorer if the camera is recognized. Camera Window also should open.

Help please
06-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't know if you've all figured things out, but I was able to solve my problem after calling Canon tech support. A process was running when I started my computer that was interfering with the CameraWindow program. I ran MSConfig, chose "Selective Startup," and then unchecked "Load Startup Items." I restarted, and CameraWindow worked. After doing this, you can run MSConfig again, and click on the rightmost tab, "Startup." Check one process at a time, click apply, then restart your computer. The process that was interfering with my camera was dlbkbmgr, which is somehow related to my printer.

Hope this helps!

A520 Newbie
06-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the last two suggestions (and everyone for the previous ones too!). I'm away from home at the moment so can't try them out yet, but will when I get back at the end of July. Incidently, got a chance to try the camera out with another computer, and it works perfectly! Thanks again, everyone.

cateyed
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

I was experiancing the same problem with my Ixus 750. My problem ended up being that my "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service was unable to start, due to one of the dependancies not being started.

I discovered that my "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled, and hence was stopping the Canon service.

I changed the SSDP Discovery Service to Manual, and restarted the Canon Camera service, and all was well. CameraWindow started straight away.

You might also check the "Windows Image Acquistion" service, as this is also a dependancy for the Canon Camera service.

Hope this helps someone!

M

Eric Hill
02-25-2006, 01:10 PM
my "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled, and hence was stopping the Canon service.

-snip-

Hope this helps someone!

M

This was very helpful!

Thank you!!

Eric

LouisHirst
08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Folks the SSDP Discovery Service is bad because it opens up a vulnerability in windows. I'm not here to make you scared or paranoid, it's just a fact that UPNP could be used by a hacker to exploit your computer. Simply put, UPNP allows someone to establish a connection to your computer without you knowing - which is never good. The root of this problem is that the canon camera access library 8 service wants to depend on it, so you can't run one without the other.

However! - We can modify the canon access library service to no longer depend on the SSDP service – which it doesn’t need in the first place!

1 - open regedit
2 - goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\C CALib8
3 - double click on DependOnService
4 - delete the second line "SSDPSRV"
5 - close regedit
6 – open up services (start->run>services.msc)
7 – stop the SSDP Discovery Service
8 – done

Congratulations, you have won a battle against the hackers and made the net slightly safer.

p.s. as I understand it UPNP was created by people who wanted firewalls to open up incoming ports automatically for things like NAT traversal. Unfortunately, as we know, the bad people will always use things like this to bolster their bot fleets. Good luck.

BowerR64
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I went into my registry and i dont even have C CALib8 in there.

am i safe? mine works but if i uninstall the canon software i can still just transfer files from the camera with a card reader or when it shows up in my computer as a removable drive.

I just use the canon software because it sorts the images into dated folders.

lathe
12-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Ok, I was having similar problems (but not the same) problems with CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX with my PowerShot A640 on Windows. :mad:

Symptoms: In short, CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX silently fail to connect to the camera. When you plug in you camera, the CameraWindow program does not open. If you manually try to launch CameraWindow, nothing seems to happen. If you locate the file "C:\Program Files\Canon\CameraWindow\CameraWindowDVC6\CameraLa uncher.exe", select, and hold down Enter to repeatedly launch it, Task Manager shows several CameraLauncher.exe processes quickly appearing and disappearing. ZoomBrowser EX does open but does not connect the camera (selecting Connect To Camera buttons does nothing or closes a window).

Solution (on my PC):
You need to start the "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service. To do this (on XP, other Windows OSes are similar) you need to:
1. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage"
2. Click the + sign in front of "Services and Applications"
3. Click on "Services"
4. Right-click on "Canon Camera Access Library 8" and select "Start"

Note: if "Start is greyed out, then it is already running and this solution will not fix the problem for you.

tartan
12-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Folks the SSDP Discovery Service is bad because it opens up a vulnerability in windows. I'm not here to make you scared or paranoid, it's just a fact that UPNP could be used by a hacker to exploit your computer. Simply put, UPNP allows someone to establish a connection to your computer without you knowing - which is never good. The root of this problem is that the canon camera access library 8 service wants to depend on it, so you can't run one without the other.

However! - We can modify the canon access library service to no longer depend on the SSDP service – which it doesn’t need in the first place!

1 - open regedit
5 - close regedit
8 – done

Congratulations, you have won a battle against the hackers and made the net slightly safer.

p.s. as I understand it UPNP was created by people who wanted firewalls to open up incoming ports automatically for things like NAT traversal. Unfortunately, as we know, the bad people will always use things like this to bolster their bot fleets. Good luck.

---------------------
Had same problem of CameraWindow not starting. After reloading software and Selective Startup still did not work. Called Canon Support -- we did a Selective Startup, then ran services.msc. Canon Camera Access Library 8 was not started. When I tried to start it, got error 106. At this point Canon Support said that the problem was a Microsoft problem and I should consult the Microsoft website. They had me so close, but left me really hanging.

After a few hours of getting nowhere with the Microsoft KB related to error 1068, I searched the internet and found this thread and the above answer. Verified that the SSDP Discovery Service was disabled, made the change to the registry as described above, rebotted and Wolla!

THANK YOU LouisHirst!!!!!!:)

PatDowns
12-22-2006, 05:14 PM
My thanks also to LouisHurst. My symptoms were that Camerawindow would not start. Also, I was trying to use an application from Canon called "ZoomBrowswer EX" (it came with my Elura 100) that itself uses Camerawindow. Needless to say, unless the service is started the symptoms you get are variations of nothing happening. For instance, I would select "Acquire Image" in ZoomBrowser EX and I'd be immediately returned to the main menu.

I would add that after following the instructions from Louis you must boot the computer. Also, be careful when you are editing the two-line DependOnService entry that you only delete the second line. When you first double click on the DependOnService entry both lines will be selected.

Thank you so much LouisHurst!!!

Marke
12-26-2006, 11:40 AM

1 - open regedit
5 - close regedit
8 – done

Thanks Louis
I spent about 4 hours Christmas day trying to unload both my new SD900 and
my old S30 Canon cameras after upgrading Zoombrowser EX. The fix works great. I had UPNP disabled using the "unplug and pray" freefile from grc.com
Turning UPNP back on verified for me that I had the problem described.
Thanks again
Marke

robin_zlatic
02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I discovered that my "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled, and hence was stopping the Canon service (...) changed the SSDP Discovery Service to Manual, restarted the Canon Camera service, and all was well. CameraWindow started straight away.

I own A610 and was experiencing the same problem with two Windows configurations. last time the CameraWindow stopped popping up after month or two of successfull working with my A610.

after digging around for solution, cateye (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100712&postcount=13)'s advice was the one which i need, so thank you! my A610 is connected again :)

Graystar
02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I've found that my camera connection doesn't work when my HP printer is turned on. The HP printer has all sorts of software installed that autodetects flash cards and scans and such. When I turn the printer off CameraWindow works fine.
________
Volcano vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

ymakoji
04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I had same problem with Canon Power Shot A70.
I approgize if you already solve your problem.
In my case, I found that CALMAIN.exe does not running in my computer which must be running in back ground. CALMAIN.exe must be "program files/Canon/CAL/CALMAIN.exe" in default installation. But I can not find this file anywhere in my computer. I don't now why.
On the other hand I have another notebook computer, which runs camera window correctly. In this computer there is CALMAIN.exe file in above directory. So I just copy this CALMAIN.exe and reboot.
It seems to be better to check whether CALMAIN.exe is running back ground in your computer with windows task manager while ZoomBrower is running.

MikeyC38
07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Louis ..

Thanks for the tip. Worked exactly as you specified. I got this problem when upgrading from ZoomBrowser 4.6 to 5.7

Kind Regards

Mike Campbell

Folks the SSDP Discovery Service is bad because it opens up a vulnerability in windows.....

brewnet
08-17-2007, 07:11 PM
I tried all the registry & services & reinstall s/w & USB-direct tips, but that didn't solve it for our A530 & A550 cameras. On my PC I run WinXP-Pro with multiuser accounts. CameraWindow simply would not launch after successfully installing on my daughter's account and on my wife's account. However, on my Administrator account it installed perfectly. Therefore, I suspect an account user permission issue was preventing CameraWindow from launching.

kjgii
09-10-2007, 04:05 AM
I am trying to install the software that came with my A550 camera. While installing Zoom Browser I get an error that says

"CameraWindow DC_DV Ver5.4.5 for ZoomBrowser Ex cannot be installed on this computer.
Check that the required software has already been installed and that your computer meets the minimum system requirements. Installation has been stopped"

I've tried uninstalling and installing it again but nothing worked. I think I may have messed up with the process, deleting some canon files. I hope someone could help me out on this.

Thanks!

jjwsign
10-05-2007, 12:15 AM
If you're still having trouble after all this (as I was), you may be missing one thing.

so try this:

1) Do what is stated by LouisHirst in Post #15
2) Do what Help Please says in Post #11

then

3) (what I was missing)
run msconfig
tab: Services
Find: Canon Camera Access Library 8, and uncheck; apply
4) run services.msc
Find: Canon Camera Access Library 8
right click properties, in startup types select automatic; ok
right click again, select start
5) restart comp

all's well.

ksmxcels
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM
i tried all the suggested tricks. but here is the fix for the vista users.

download the updates zoombrowser and the photostitch then camera window should work like a charm.

the link is canon vista updates (as opposed to camerawindow updates which yielded nothing)

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSupportVistaAct

cosmo1974
01-01-2008, 08:35 AM
(1) Problem started when I upgraded from ZB 5.6 to 5.8
At which point I could no longer upload photos fom my A610 to my XP-Pro system.

(2) The A610 is recognised as a usb device. The A610 connection event is associated with "Canon CameraWindow".

(2) I have tried the following:-
-- Uninstalling and reinstalling canon software.
-- Restoring to a previous checkpoint.
-- Checking that the canon service (and Dependant services) have been started (they are)
-- Deleting USB entry for A610 from registry.
-- Checked that calmain.exe is running (using task manager).

(3) I'm lost and need help.

Thanks in advance.

cosmo1974
01-02-2008, 02:39 AM
All fixed - details follow.

(1) Since last post I have uninstalled all canon components via the canon uninstall utilities.
(2) I also stoppped the canon camera service and uninstalled remaining canon components via "Change Or Remove Programs".
NOTE: If service is not stopped then it will not be removed.
(3) I also removed the camera from USB section of the registry.
(4) I then reinstalled ZB 5.6 from the CD.
(5) ZB and the camera window now work OK.

Cheers :D

Joel
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi All:

I just went to the considerable trouble of registering here (wouldn't allow my usual email sites; so had to find a free place with no hassles; then tried 10 different user names, etc.)to set up an account I'll never use again.

All for the purpose of thanking you guys from the bottom of my heart. I couldn't get the Canon Camera Window to come up and tried everything I could think of. I was preparing for the long painful tech "support" (read "torture") process when I stumbled upon this site. You solved my problem and I'm most grateful.

Now that I found you, I may visit occasionally, but if I never return--please know you help so many people who never have the time (or fortitude to set up a permissible email account) to thank you. There must be many people like me who find solutions here, but never register.

Just know-you do good and are greatly appreciated.

Joel

jbeaudry
01-19-2008, 03:52 PM
After reading the thread I still do not find an answer to my problem
My camera is Canon A-460. After installing the software on my Windows vista computer and plugging the camera in a direct USB port, the camera is recognized by the computer. but when I try to download via camera window, a CW window appears that says the camera is not detected.I called Canon customer service; we upgraded to version 6.0 of Zoom browser; same results. We went throug services.msc and made sure that SSDP and WIA were properly configured (that is, activated); same result. Then we stopped all non-microsoft processes ; same result; we uninstalled all canon software and registry keys and reinstall the software; same result. The person at Canon said it is probably a problem with Windows. After reading this tread, i looked for Canon Cal Library 8 in the services but I cannot find it. Of course, I can download my photos through windows successfully, but I am puzzled by this problem and I wonder if there is somethiong wrong with my computer. The guy at cannon swears that version 6.0 of zoom browser and camera window if fully compatible with vista. Help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

vinofilus
01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
After reading the thread I still do not find an answer to my problem
My camera is Canon A-460. After installing the software on my Windows vista computer and plugging the camera in a direct USB port, the camera is recognized by the computer. but when I try to download via camera window, a CW window appears that says the camera is not detected.I called Canon customer service; we upgraded to version 6.0 of Zoom browser; same results. We went throug services.msc and made sure that SSDP and WIA were properly configured (that is, activated); same result. Then we stopped all non-microsoft processes ; same result; we uninstalled all canon software and registry keys and reinstall the software; same result. The person at Canon said it is probably a problem with Windows. After reading this tread, i looked for Canon Cal Library 8 in the services but I cannot find it. Of course, I can download my photos through windows successfully, but I am puzzled by this problem and I wonder if there is somethiong wrong with my computer. The guy at cannon swears that version 6.0 of zoom browser and camera window if fully compatible with vista. Help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

In addition to the other problems mentioned in this forum, I found that though the 3 different were (or could be adjusted) to be running, the CAL library always failed to load, because for some reason, when upgrading because I purchased another camera, the file calmain.exe was actually removed from my computer. I went to the CD, to the software section, found the CAL folders, looked inside the .cab file to find calmain.exe, copied it into the correct space as noted in previous posts, then was able to start all 3 services, and that fixed my problem.
Canon really needs to get software installation/upgrade figured out. It takes a day to fix their software every time you buy a new camera.

jbeaudry
01-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Thank you

However I still have my problem. I have been able to find the calmain.exe file on the cd of Canon software, but when I get into Windows explorer and get to Program files/Canon, there is no cal directory. Instead, there is Camera Windows which details in Camera Window DC, Camera window DVC6 and Camera window launcher.

sfes786
11-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Ok, I was having similar problems (but not the same) problems with CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX with my PowerShot A640 on Windows. :mad:

Symptoms: In short, CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX silently fail to connect to the camera. When you plug in you camera, the CameraWindow program does not open. If you manually try to launch CameraWindow, nothing seems to happen. If you locate the file "C:\Program Files\Canon\CameraWindow\CameraWindowDVC6\CameraLa uncher.exe", select, and hold down Enter to repeatedly launch it, Task Manager shows several CameraLauncher.exe processes quickly appearing and disappearing. ZoomBrowser EX does open but does not connect the camera (selecting Connect To Camera buttons does nothing or closes a window).

Solution (on my PC):
You need to start the "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service. To do this (on XP, other Windows OSes are similar) you need to:
1. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage"
2. Click the + sign in front of "Services and Applications"
3. Click on "Services"
4. Right-click on "Canon Camera Access Library 8" and select "Start"

Note: if "Start is greyed out, then it is already running and this solution will not fix the problem for you.
thank you, i figured out how to turn on the canon libary by following your advice. aaaahhhhhhhhh what a relief that the pictures are automatically downloaded when camera gets connected to the computer.

just one problem.............the library 8 service gets stopped everytime i restat my computer. i have to start it again for it to work. why, and how can i fix this. currently in the properties for canon library 8 it's set to startup automatically, still i have to manually start it. what is causing it to stop working ??????????

please help.. thank you..

kshysieq
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you

However I still have my problem. I have been able to find the calmain.exe file on the cd of Canon software, but when I get into Windows explorer and get to Program files/Canon, there is no cal directory. Instead, there is Camera Windows which details in Camera Window DC, Camera window DVC6 and Camera window launcher.

I wonder if you solve this problem. I use Win XP x64 and have identical symptoms of using my Canon PowerShot A570 IS.

Spend meny hours on testing tips from this forum and nothing helps.

I'm confused... because C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe seems to work correctly.

I must add that I have problem with instaling origianal software for Canon PowerShot A570 IS

CameraWindow DC_DV ver5.4.5 for ZoomBrowser EX cannont be installed on this computer.
Check that required software has already been installe and that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
Installation has been stopped.
and use Canon EOS Solution Disk (I also have this camera - it works without any problems).

Thanks for any advice.

acrabtreegirl
01-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks, everyone, for posting suggestions here. Sure do appreciate folks taking time to be so helpful to others.

I had the same problem. Had to reset the laptop back to factory settings due to a virus, and had to reinstall everything. As a result, the Camera Wizard wouldn't work. The computer recognized the camera, but properties wouldn't show up, and the window in which I would normally select a program to use to open the camera was empty. I tried everyone's suggestions posted here, but to no avail. I sure did learn a lot, though, so THANK YOU for posting all these helpful hints!!!

However, a little sneaky program called "Adobe Photo Downloader" had slipped by during the reinstall process and I just happened to notice it in the icon tray. AH HA! The culprit was discovered! That's what was interfering with MS Camera & Scanner Wizard. Went into msconfig and unchecked it from the Startup menu. Once I got that little stinker out of the way, the Wizard worked as it should. Ahhhh, relief at last!!