PDA

View Full Version : Image size v. print size for XT...

24Peter
05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Most of my shots with the XT come out around a 1.5 ratio length to width. But all the photo print services I've seen only offer prints in a 1.25 (4:3) ratio - e.g., 9X12; 11X14. (Frames also seem to be limited to this aspect ratio.) I find this very challenging since I frame/compose my shots based on the in-camera settings and end up with the time consuming job of cropping photos to be printed, only to be disappointed with the final image. Am I missing something? Does the XT take non-standard size images for a reason?

jamison55
05-18-2005, 09:59 AM
The XT has the standard DSLR 3:2 ratio for image capture (based on the ratio of 35mm film). This means that you can print as many 4x6's as your heart desires without doing any cropping. For larger standard sizes (5x7, 8X10, 11x14) you will have to crop. Just make sure you compose with that in mind, and you will be all set. I sometimes work for a studio that shoots races and grads, and they have placed 2 thin strips of tape on the LCD of their D70's to show where the crop for an 8x10 will be. Helps to make sure we are constantly thinking about it when we shoot. If, like me, you like to compose pretty tightly, most photo labs will print 8x12's as well. I recently did a portrait session with a couple of kids and the positioning of the kids required me to use the entire 3:2 frame. Wouldn't you know, that's the image their mother chose for an enlargement. It was not a problem. I simply had it printed at 8x12, and directed the mother to a local camera store that had an 11x14 frame with an 8x12 matte for $17.

All non-DSLR digicams (and the Oly DSLR's), have a sensor that is a 4:3 ratio. With this ratio you have to crop for almost all print sizes...including 4x6's. Talk about a PITA!

24Peter
05-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks Jamison. Very helpful as always. :)

Rhys
05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
I actually prefer the 4:3 ratio as it fits A4 much better than a 2:3 ratio.

aparmley
05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Im a bit against the grain in my practices but thats fine by me... I prefer to compose my pictures so that I have plenty of cropping options come post-shoot. I know I will be spending time with PSE to find that right crop that makes the picture unique... I enjoy taking the time to do so, it makes me feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of my computers if nothing else... But yea just like jamison said.. you can go straight to 4x6 prints not a problem. I enjoy this feature very much, when I know that I am just going to take a few shots and print them out for family or friends I just compose for the entire area [4x6] and shoot away... its very convenient. but anything past composing for 4x6 I find it distracting as of now, perhaps that will change when my knowledge of my camera becomes second nature... IDK... I am happy with my current approach.

Bluedog
05-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I haven't processed any 4 X 6 photos yet from my XT but what y'all are saying is you don't have to resize them? As in using PSE 2 to make them 4 X 6.

aparmley
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Right... The image dimention is proportional to a 4x6. I think when I import my pictures into PSE 3 and use the ruler they come in at like 32inx48in divide by 8 and you have 4x6.

Bluedog
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Right... The image dimention is proportional to a 4x6. I think when I import my pictures into PSE 3 and use the ruler they come in at like 32inx48in divide by 8 and you have 4x6.

Well that makes more sense now. Thanks ;)

aparmley
05-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I knew if I hung around hear long enough, I'd be able to contribute something worthwhile! LOL :D