PDA

View Full Version : Rebel XT - Flash add on

Dactyl
05-18-2005, 07:34 AM
I am curious if a flash I currently have for my 35mm film camera that I add on top of camera will work on the Rebel XT 350D? Or am I forced to get a Canon specific flash?

aparmley
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Just as soon as the well informed read your post they will offer up the correct information... But if I am not mistaken I have heard that there are some flashes you can find that are made by 3rd party manufacturers but future compatibilities may have problems... Something to do with how the camera communicates with the flash via the hotshoe.. IDK for sure.. wait til someone with more knowledge comes by.

Savannah
05-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I was very happy with my Sigma 550 on my XT. Since its in the bottom of the Ogeechee River I don't have the opportunity to find out if it will be compatable with future camera uses. :( ........I only used it for 2 weeks but I thought for the money it was a great flash......I got some great photos with it. I'll buy another one.......eventually

aparmley
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Savannah please share more about that Sigma... What types of pictures were you taking with it that were giving you pleasurable results? indoor portraits outdoor portraits?? what??? Just curious... Where did you find the 550??

-Sorry to hear about the swim it went on....

Savannah
05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Savannah please share more about that Sigma... What types of pictures were you taking with it that were giving you pleasurable results? indoor portraits outdoor portraits?? what??? Just curious... Where did you find the 550??

-Sorry to hear about the swim it went on....

I can't believe I typed 550.......it's been a long day!
Please forgive me for my typo......big mistake, very sorry...Its the Sigma 500, not 550 (details, details, details.....)
Purchased at BH Photo
Sigma Price : $ 149.95

EF-500 DG ST E-TTL Shoe Mount Flash (Guide No. 165'/50 m at 105mm) for Canon EOS with E-TTL II

Mostly indoor portraits of my own kids, some outdoor........I purchased it with the Rebel about the same time. I read the reviews at Fred Miranda for the DG Super, (which is the same flash minus a few features) and I have to agree with most of the reviews. THe Flash has an overall rating of 9.1. It's a respectable flash for 1/2 the price of a cannon. A little slow to power up, so it truely works well in controlled environment where you are not pushed to forfeit a shot........but aren't most all flashes?

aparmley
05-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Thats what I was thinking.. you meant the 500 not 550... I have absolutely no knowledge of anything external flash related. Thats why I ask. I suppose I will eventually pick one up and figure it out... But ya the Sigma looks pretty attractive at 150.

Rhys
05-19-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm having to chase around to find out whether my old hammerhead flash will work with a future digital camera. Canon refuse to give me the information - even when threatened with my purchasing a different camera from a different manufacturer if they didn't. I'm having difficulty tracing the manufacturer of Metz flashguns.

I understand that some flashes put out 600v and some put out 6v or less. Essentially it'd be a simple matter of popping a transistorised low-voltage trigger unit into the flash. I think that'd probably consist of a single resistor and a single transistor so it's easy to build but we have to measure the voltages or know them beforehand. I don't place much faith in a lot of the 3rd hand information that's going around on this issue as so much conflicts.