PDA

View Full Version : S2 IS wish list

buzz
09-03-2004, 09:24 AM
I am making a list of improvements that I would like to see on the next version of the S1 IS (S2 IS?) and hopefully somebody at Canon will see it. As well as everbody elses recomendations...
Here goes...

1) 12X optical would be nice.
2) Gotta have more MP, would like to see at least 5
3) How about an auto assist illuminator for low light shooting...Don't know how this one got left out.
4) Access to digital zoom when in movie mode.
5) Interval shooting with an option for < 1 min.
6) Self closing lens cap, like on the other power shot models.
7) No 1 Gig limit on movies...Would be nice to shoot a whole 4 gigs if you wanted.
Price? With all of these features..$600-650?

Rhys
09-03-2004, 10:22 AM
I am making a list of improvements that I would like to see on the next version of the S1 IS (S2 IS?) and hopefully somebody at Canon will see it. As well as everbody elses recomendations...
Here goes...

1) 12X optical would be nice.
2) Gotta have more MP, would like to see at least 5
3) How about an auto assist illuminator for low light shooting...Don't know how this one got left out.
4) Access to digital zoom when in movie mode.
5) Interval shooting with an option for < 1 min.
6) Self closing lens cap, like on the other power shot models.
7) No 1 Gig limit on movies...Would be nice to shoot a whole 4 gigs if you wanted.
Price? With all of these features..$600-650?

Canon won't see this unless it is posted to their technical or research and development departments and I mean physically posted on paper.

AF assist I'm not too fussed about. I'd like to see a control that sets the lens into infinity though.

I'd like to see an option that allows shooting to start at a specific time or after a specific interval for the intervalometer.

I'd like to see the lens cap changed to one that clips into the end of the lens rather than one that pops over the lens outer shield.

I'd like to see 6 megapixels.

A 28 - 400mm zoom

Longer automatic shutter speeds. 1 second really isnt enough.

I'd also like the camera to be available in another colour - black or preferably khaki.

No limit on video size.

Ability to use an external microphone.

Re-arranged battery compartment allowing the use of the lithium AA pair-style battery.

roxbury29
09-03-2004, 07:20 PM
All of this could have been possible...
Wonder why they didn't release both at once..
I am sure the engineers could have came up with something.. they just need to listen to the public more often..

Like what you mentioned - say 600-800.00
and the S1 - 300-500 $$

could have dominated the market for this christmas.. no problem
along w/ the A75-85-95

buzz
09-03-2004, 07:40 PM
USB 2.0!

What the heck were they thinking making this camera 1.1?

Dont get me wrong, this camera rocks, but it could have been so much better with just a few tweaks...

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 10:59 PM
USB 2.0!

What the heck were they thinking making this camera 1.1?

Dont get me wrong, this camera rocks, but it could have been so much better with just a few tweaks...

Keep in mind that the S1 IS is the first of its genre. Designed 3 years ago, and with many more cost retraints than today.

Maybe you should be looking to the Panasonic FZ family for a little more modern stabilized long zoom.

lowkl
09-04-2004, 08:11 AM
- An even brighter lens!! How about 2.8F all the way?!

- Fix that 'orrible graininess as ISO400! Maybe allow for a grainy ISO800.

- Chromatic abberations have got to go as well.

- 2:3 aspect ratio as an option, for "4R print"-specific photos

- How about that pop-up flash being able to (manually) angle a further 45deg upwards to act as a bounce flash? Nice & soft flash ... cool!

- a hot-shoe for an external flash would be nice (though I doubt I'd ever use it!)

buzz
09-04-2004, 09:24 AM
I like the ergonomics of the Canon cameras too much to switch brands. I love the S1, just hoping for a tweaked up version to come out soon..:-)

D70FAN
09-04-2004, 09:36 AM
I like the ergonomics of the Canon cameras too much to switch brands. I love the S1, just hoping for a tweaked up version to come out soon..:-)

Sometimes brand loyalty goes unrewarded. Canon, so far, has not disappointed. The S1 IS is definately in need of an update though.

Jack
09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I'd vote for the auto assist illuminator, and improvement in the macro end.

Please keep the AA batteries and the CompactFlash. :)

Jack

Rhys
09-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I'd vote for the auto assist illuminator, and improvement in the macro end.

Please keep the AA batteries and the CompactFlash. :)

Jack

Yes. There's a lot to be said for common batteries and common cards.

My S1 purchase was made partly because it took AA batteries and CF cards. I was interested in the Nikon 5700 as it took 2CR5 and CF (both of which my 995 uses) but was put off the 5700 by the poor video rate and the fact it's much bulkier.

Ching
09-07-2004, 04:09 AM
an AF assist would really be nice, and 5mp please, make a bigger lcd 2" is ok- that's all and I'll buy one :p

D70FAN
09-07-2004, 07:27 AM
an AF assist would really be nice, and 5mp please, make a bigger lcd 2" is ok- that's all and I'll buy one :p

If you add a 12X f2.8 lens, then you have just described the Panasonic FZ20.

buzz
09-07-2004, 09:47 AM
True, but I would like all these things inside the Canon S1 body. :)

The FZ20 does look very interesting, but its twice the price of the S1.

BC_Grl
10-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Hello,
But how does the S1-IS (I just purchased one) fare against the FZ20? I know the FZ20 is about $270 (CAD) more than the S1-IS, but I want a camera I can take pics in low light, quick auto AF (Canon seems to go past it and sometimes loses it and you have to resort to MF which is a pain), have the MP I want (more than 3.2) so I don't have to replace it in a couple of years. I hadn't heard of the Panasonic camera when I purchased the Canon and was told that if I was never printing higher than 4x6, there's not a difference between 3MP and 5+MP.
Every review you read and every store you venture into tells you something different! :confused: