PDA

View Full Version : Ordered FZ20 Today--$539 CC--Which accessories

Janet
09-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Hi All
I just ordered the camera from Circuit City today for $539. Now I need to get the rest of the equipment.
Is the Olympus TCON-1.7x Telephoto Converter Lens the one I would want? I always want to get closer! But want it easy to use and small for lugging around on trips. What about a wide angle? And if so, do I need an adaptor and if so, what? and where do I get it?
Same with the extra card. I know there is a debate but it seems like the recommendation was for using the Panasonic card. Any particular place to order it? And what do I need for an adaptor for the card for my laptop?
Any suggestions on a camera bag or should I just wait until I get the camera.
I just hope there is little or no redeye with this camera. That is all I was waiting to learn, but just had to go for the reduced price and the fact that I still had $50.00 available from a gift card.
Thanks,

Janet

Listener
09-03-2004, 10:28 AM
I ordered a Lexar 32x 512mb SD card from thenerds.com for $92. Works great. see: http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=173193&s=1

I also got two extra batteries from the batterybarn that will give you around 20% more efficiency than the one that comes with the camera. $38 ea.
see: http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas002.htm

I'm going to hold off on additional lenses until I get more comfortable with the camera. I've had it one day and I'm *really* pleased at the high quality and ease of use. So far I've just taken a lot of point&shoot shots and the color saturation, sharpness and low noise is fantastic. I took a macro shot of some m&m's that's..well...delicious!The zoom is smooth as silk and noise-free. The AF Assist Lamp really helps in dark situations. The video ability is a lot of fun ( I use RAD Video Tools to convert from .mov to .avi, also cuts the file size by half).

Being a photog newbie, I've got a lot to learn about using this camera. I wish the manual went into more detail. I'm hoping there are some good resources on the net where I can learn the ins and outs of digital photography.

I think you're gonna like this camera. :)

For my first digital camera, after many months of research, I couldn't be happier. It will be interesting to see what the reviews say.

Janet
09-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Listner

Can you try a flash and see if there is red eye? That is what I hated about my Nikon 950. Hope not to see it on this camera.

Glad you like it. I think I will too.

Janet

Janet
09-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I know nothing about SD cards. Is this the card I would want to buy? It sounds to good to be true. A 2 or 3 hundred dollar card for $119.00.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDisplay.mpt?ProductID=15507&FEID=130&PMNID=838

Panasonic RPSDH512U1A 512MB SD Secure Digital Card

Since I am leary of buying on the internet, (got it from pricegrabber.com) I would appreciate it if someone would say, yeah or nay. Like if it sounds too good to be true-----------

Sure sounds good.

Janet

kgosden
09-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Leary of buying on the internet? I thought that fear had long ago passed. I would not buy from any old Joe Blow site, but there are plenty of good places that are very reliable. I also would not pay anything close to $100 for a 512MB SD card. Quality sites like ecost.com (an off shoot of MacMall & PCMall) currently has 512SD cards as low as $50 (probably $55 including shipping, etc.) they are very reliable, I have been buying from them for years.

Janet
09-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Leary of buying on the internet? I thought that fear had long ago passed. I would not buy from any old Joe Blow site, but there are plenty of good places that are very reliable. I also would not pay anything close to $100 for a 512MB SD card. Quality sites like ecost.com (an off shoot of MacMall & PCMall) currently has 512SD cards as low as $50 (probably $55 including shipping, etc.) they are very reliable, I have been buying from them for years

Hi and thanks for the input. I will check out ecost.com.
I buy a lot on the internet but I usually know what I want! Usually nothing can be returned. In this case, I know nothing about SD cards. I researched CF cards when I bought a Nikon 950 a million years ago, and mainly on this site. So now I am just trying to find out more about SD cards. What kind, what speed, and where might be a good place to buy. Does size of card affect its reliablity?
Janet

Listener
09-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Leary of buying on the internet? I thought that fear had long ago passed. I would not buy from any old Joe Blow site, but there are plenty of good places that are very reliable. I also would not pay anything close to $100 for a 512MB SD card. Quality sites like ecost.com (an off shoot of MacMall & PCMall) currently has 512SD cards as low as $50 (probably $55 including shipping, etc.) they are very reliable, I have been buying from them for years.

They may be reliable but their transfer rates are slower. The Kingston SD card ($48) has a 2mb transfer rate, the Lexar ($92.99) has a 4.8mb rate.

Janet
09-03-2004, 09:43 PM
They may be reliable but their transfer rates are slower. The Kingston SD card ($48) has a 2mb transfer rate, the Lexar ($92.99) has a 4.8mb rate.

Listner
That is the kind of information I need. Why did you not go with the ultra high speed card? What do I need to download it to my laptop? Is their a card holder for my PC slot like with the CF card?
Janet

John_Reed
09-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Listner
That is the kind of information I need. Why did you not go with the ultra high speed card? What do I need to download it to my laptop? Is their a card holder for my PC slot like with the CF card?
JanetJanet, if your PC has a USB connection, you should be able to plug the camera into that directly, and use the camera itself as your "card reader." That's how I read my cards; though I use a Mac, I think PCs work in a similar way.

Janet
09-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi All
Frances is moving in so I expect my power and phones to go off at any time. We are not in the direct path of the hurricane, but it will affect us. Please feel free to make any comments on the Panasonic, red eye, choices of extras, etc. I am having trouble finding out more about the various lenses. And any information re: my post on scanners in the scanner section would be apprecitated. I will check back here whenever we have phones and electricity. I hope this storm won't delay my camera from arriving next week!
Thanks for all the info.
Janet

Listener
09-04-2004, 07:35 AM
Listner
Janet

I'll probably try an ultra card next so I can compare it to the Lexar.

If you're running XP and have a usb port you do not need to download anything. XP will automatically sense and configure the camera for you. It also has built in software that will preview your shots and allow you to transfer them to your hard drive and then delete them from the camera.

If you're not running XP there are USB drivers on the supplied CD that you will need to install. BTW, the software that comes with the camera is pretty decent. The SD Viewer has more features than the built-in XP software (but is slower...).

Yes, PCMCIA Card holders abound. Like:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=529625

Janet
09-04-2004, 08:28 AM
I'll probably try an ultra card next so I can compare it to the Lexar.

If you're running XP and have a usb port you do not need to download anything. XP will automatically sense and configure the camera for you. It also has built in software that will preview your shots and allow you to transfer them to your hard drive and then delete them from the camera.

Yes, PCMCIA Card holders abound. Like:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=529625

Yes, I do have Windows XP and a USB 1 port. And I will probably eventually get a card holder.

What brand Ultra SD Card are you looking at?

John_Reed
09-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi All
Frances is moving in so I expect my power and phones to go off at any time. We are not in the direct path of the hurricane, but it will affect us. Please feel free to make any comments on the Panasonic, red eye, choices of extras, etc. I am having trouble finding out more about the various lenses. And any information re: my post on scanners in the scanner section would be apprecitated. I will check back here whenever we have phones and electricity. I hope this storm won't delay my camera from arriving next week!
Thanks for all the info.
JanetHere she is, about to lose her power, maybe spoil all the food in the Fridge, no phones, etc., and her main concern is whether or not she gets her hands on that FZ20 in time! Well Janet, you'd better charge up some batteries before the power fails, if you want to use it when it arrives? ;) I do sincerely hope that you don't lose a lot in that nasty wind!

Janet
09-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Here she is, about to lose her power, maybe spoil all the food in the Fridge, no phones, etc., and her main concern is whether or not she gets her hands on that FZ20 in time!

You think I am obsessive about this, you should have seen me trying to get my hands on a Nikon 950 when it first came out. We were travelling in a motor home and I checked into a campground, where it was cold and rainy, for a month to give myself time to find one and get it shipped to me!
Janet

D70FAN
09-04-2004, 09:56 AM
You think I am obsessive about this, you should have seen me trying to get my hands on a Nikon 950 when it first came out. We were travelling in a motor home and I checked into a campground, where it was cold and rainy, for a month to give myself time to find one and get it shipped to me!
Janet

John, A kindred spirit? Without the obsessive part of course... :D ;)