PDA

View Full Version : Speedlights?

thesween
05-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Okay, I have looked around, and I cannot find much(maybe more like nothing)on Nikon Speedlights and the D70. I'm talking pre-D70 Speedlights, older models, of which I have two. Now, since the D70 is, among other things, designed to work with most all Nikkor lenses, what about Speedlights? I'm only guessing here, but it would seem odd that Nikon would design this camera without it being compatible with their own long line of flash units. Anyone know about this? TIA...

sherlock
05-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Okay, I have looked around, and I cannot find much(maybe more like nothing)on Nikon Speedlights and the D70. I'm talking pre-D70 Speedlights, older models, of which I have two. Now, since the D70 is, among other things, designed to work with most all Nikkor lenses, what about Speedlights? I'm only guessing here, but it would seem odd that Nikon would design this camera without it being compatible with their own long line of flash units. Anyone know about this? TIA...

Hey,

To take advantage of the D70's great i-TTL flash metering, you have to use either the sb-600 or sb-800 speedlights. I personally chose the sb-600 for its lower cost, and I love it. Hope this helps.

Andrew S>

D70FAN
05-18-2005, 02:55 PM

The older SB series speedlights will work with the D70 within their functional capabilities, but they are not equiped to handle iTTL, and remote SB600/800 flashes. I have the SB800 and it is definately better than the SB50DX, which was pretty darned good in its own right.

If you shoot a lot indoors, or in heavy shadow, and don't want to lug lights around the SB600/800 is the way to go.

Here is a sample.

This was taken at sunset in my livingroom with a D70 and an SB800. Camera in AP and flash set to iTTL auto.

speaklightly
05-18-2005, 08:19 PM
George-

Thanks for a beautiful flash image with the SB-800. Itoo use the same flash and it works very, very well for me. I especially like the bounce flash capability.

Sarah Joyce

D70FAN
05-19-2005, 11:29 AM
George-

Thanks for a beautiful flash image with the SB-800. Itoo use the same flash and it works very, very well for me. I especially like the bounce flash capability.

Sarah Joyce

What I really like is that you can adjust it really quickly to accent the available light, and not overpower it. With my old flashes it took many shots to get it just right. With the SB800 it usually turns out spot-on the first time.

Notice the retention of sunset colors on the wall and on the plant with no added shadows. I can't wait to do a tag-along for a wedding using this flash. Now I can see why the guys using this flash are so enthusiastic about it.

Good thing the carrying case has a belt loop, as this flash will be a side-arm, and make me have serious doubts about the necessity of a faster zoom lens.

Amazingly I haven't tried this with the 50mm f1.8, so maybe this weekend.

thesween
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
It'd be pretty tough to argue with that image, it's gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question...

D70FAN
05-20-2005, 09:02 PM
It'd be pretty tough to argue with that image, it's gorgeous. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question...

Not a problem. Too bad the speedlights are a bit expensive, but if you plan to be into photography for the long run it's worth saving up for. For the type of shot I posted he SB600 would work just as well and for $100 less.

sarcazmo
05-21-2005, 12:46 AM
I'll probably be picking up an SB-600 shortly as I don't need all the functions of the 800.

For more info on speedlights, I believe Thom Hogan has some info on them @ bythom.com

D70FAN
05-21-2005, 07:31 AM
If you are really interested in better utilization of the SB600/800 then here is a CD that I just ordered from Nikon.

I can always use a good tutorial, and I like learning from people who make their living from my hobby.

http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp?sku=2635087