PDA

View Full Version : Rebel XT - Battery Life

Dactyl
05-17-2005, 08:58 AM
I was curious about the battery life of the Rebel XT 350D...

24Peter
05-17-2005, 09:12 AM
In a word, "excellent". I haven't even bothered buying a spare battery. (I'm not away from a recharging outlet long enough to worry about it - might be different if I spent more time in nature for instance. :o ) I've taken up to 400 photos at a time and the battery meter is still on "full". Even with intermitent use of the on-board flash, I don't think I've seen the battery meter below full. When it comes to taking pictures at least, I phizzle out (or maybe fizzle out) long before the battery does. ;)

jwhite
05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
In a word, "excellent". I haven't even bothered buying a spare battery. (I'm not away from a recharging outlet long enough to worry about it - might be different if I spent more time in nature for instance. :o ) I've taken up to 400 photos at a time and the battery meter is still on "full". Even with intermitent use of the on-board flash, I don't think I've seen the battery meter below full. When it comes to taking pictures at least, I phizzle out (or maybe fizzle out) long before the battery does. ;)

Does the battery level drop if I have it in my camera and don't use it for a few days? Should I always charge my battery to the top before I go out even if it wasn't fully discharged?

Bluedog
05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Its best to let the battery run down before short charging it. Mine to has lasted very long even downloading via USB cable to computer but I do have a spare handy.

aparmley
05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
There is no "battery memory" in these newer batteries like the older rechargeables. What used to happen is that if you did not fully drain a battery and went to recharge it after a few times of doing this your battery would no longer fully charge itself it would only recharge the amount that it had been used thus making the capacity of the battery smaller. This is no longer an issue with todays new rechargeable batteries. The only warning listen in the manual that I have come across is they do not recommend leaving the battery in the charger longer than 24 hours.

TheObiJuan
05-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I got around 460-580 shots with my battery. I never used the on camera strobe though.
I rarely chimp too.

Savannah
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
I agree......In a word "excellent"

kb3gun
05-19-2005, 06:11 PM
I charged mine for 90 minutes when I first got it. It was 8 days and about 500 shots before it started running low. There was a lot of menu adjusting and pic viewing on the LCD during that time also. I'm impressed!

Joanne
06-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Oh no..... I just found this forum, as I was looking for info on the battery life of the XT. I just got my RebelXT a few days ago :) , this is my first DSLR camera, so I have no experience with them. I wonder if there is something wrong wtih my XT..... I find the opposite of everyone here. The battery runs out SO fast..... I had to go and buy a second battery the day after I got it. Still not enough - I have missed so many shots due to battery dying. I turn the camera off between shots, and rarely review on the lcd screen, so I don't know why the battery dies so soon. About 100-200 shots, tops.
Joanne

24Peter
06-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Doesn't sound right. Unless you determine some kind of user error, I'd exchange the camera for another one ASAP. (It's a camera issue if a second battery does the same thing.)

Joanne
06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I thought so - thanks for the advice. I will take it in to the camera store right away. Another thing I noticed (please remember I'm a newbie! lol!) is that sometimes when I am trying to take a picture with the flash, a strange sound happens...... almost like electricity short-out sound..... like a buzzing - I'm assuming this must not be normal? I can't say exactly when it happens and I can't seem to MAKE it happen..... but it has happened a few times. What a disappointment...... I sure hope there isn't a problem at the camera store when I go in! Thanks again,
Joanne

aparmley
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Joanne - I hope there is a problem when you do go into the store, that way they can witness it - but definitely mention all the things you have noticed, the buzzing noise too! But I know what you meant though... I hope they honor everything and treat you well! Good luck!

24Peter
06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Re: the flash noise - external flashes definitely make a cool buzzing sound as they warm up (I've kind of developed a Pavlovian response to the sound and start salivating wildly whenever I hear it. :eek: ) I don't have my camera handy and can't recall if the the on-camera flash makes a similar sound while it is charging up, but that sound may be normal. :D

Savannah
06-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh no..... I just found this forum, as I was looking for info on the battery life of the XT. I just got my RebelXT a few days ago :) , this is my first DSLR camera, so I have no experience with them. I wonder if there is something wrong wtih my XT..... I find the opposite of everyone here. The battery runs out SO fast..... I had to go and buy a second battery the day after I got it. Still not enough - I have missed so many shots due to battery dying. I turn the camera off between shots, and rarely review on the lcd screen, so I don't know why the battery dies so soon. About 100-200 shots, tops.
Joanne

Joanne........I'm sorry to say, but I think something is wrong here with your battery life. I shot over 500 pics over Memorial Weekend (F,Sat, Sun, Mon) and reviewed the many times on the LCD screen and the battery held up till the end. I know it would have lasted even longer if I had not reviewed the pics so much. All the best in getting this problem solved. I hope its something simple.

D70FAN
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Joanne........I'm sorry to say, but I think something is wrong here with your battery life. I shot over 500 pics over Memorial Weekend (F,Sat, Sun, Mon) and reviewed the many times on the LCD screen and the battery held up till the end. I know it would have lasted even longer if I had not reviewed the pics so much. All the best in getting this problem solved. I hope its something simple.

Hey, "chimping" is part of the dSLR experience, and included in normal battery life expectations. ;)

Bluedog
06-10-2005, 09:15 PM
500 + RAW images on average with my 350D/XT battery also and that includes viewing several times via the LCD.

MissJezabelle
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Fantabulous. I bought 2 extra batteries and an extra charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Wasted money as far as I am concerned. The battery lasts forever it seems.

Laurens
07-09-2005, 02:01 AM
I Have the same problem as Joane, after leaving my 350D just off for a night (with the kitlens attached), the next day the battery is totally empty; having this with both the original and an extra battery :(

cdifoto
07-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I find my XT batt life impressive. I'm one that tends to turn it off and on repeatedly...which is actually more draining on the batt than leaving the camera on...

...but I still get a LOT of shots per charge. Far superior to my old Fuji S7000 where I had to change the 4 NiMH AAs out every couple hours, even with minimal use and no flash. Recharge time I find to be nice too. I bought a spare batt and I never use it up before the other one gets charged full again. I had problems with the Fuji where I had to have 3 sets of batteries and 2 chargers...because they charged slower than they drained!

I was going to invest in the AC Adapter kit since I shoot a lot of product photos but it seems the battery life is long enough to find no sense in adding the clutter of yet another power cord to trip over.

Alnath
07-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Its best to let the battery run down before short charging it. Mine to has lasted very long even downloading via USB cable to computer but I do have a spare handy.

Constantly Running down Li-Ion batterys kills them, they last longer if you charge them after each use irrespective of its charge state

novon
07-16-2005, 09:27 AM
I Have the same problem as Joane, after leaving my 350D just off for a night (with the kitlens attached), the next day the battery is totally empty; having this with both the original and an extra battery :(

I have the exact same problem, I can go 400 pics or so, but sometimes I do a full charge, take a couple pics, turn off the camera, and the next day it's almost empty. I have a lot of custom functions set - does that affect it?

Also - I noticed with RAW the battery goes much faster. :confused:

Rhys
07-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Could that be because it takes longer to write a raw file?

Bluedog
07-16-2005, 11:45 AM

500 + RAW images on average with my 350D/XT battery also and that includes viewing several times via the LCD.

That is a quote by me ...

TheObiJuan
07-16-2005, 11:56 AM
shooting raw+jpeg I would go through about 500-600 shots..
I did most of my shooting at ISO 100 though. Much less battery power is required. I also had LCD playback disabled. I never used the onboard flash, and I rarely chimped.

novon
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
The LCD might have been the problem, I had it set at 4 seconds. However, I still notice that keeping the camera off, the battery will drain a bit.

cdifoto
07-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I never used the onboard flash, and I rarely chimped.

What's "chimping"?

24Peter
07-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Juan...? :D

D70FAN
07-20-2005, 01:21 PM
What's "chimping"?

Reviewing/checking/deleting images on the LCD. Warning: Never do this while walking around, especially at the Grand Canyon. :eek:

24Peter
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Por que llamos este "chimping"?

B/c I look like a monkey while I'm doing it?

cdifoto
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Reviewing/checking/deleting images on the LCD. Warning: Never do this while walking around, especially at the Grand Canyon. :eek:

Oh heck I do that a lot. My battery still seems to last forever. I guess I don't do it as much as some people but dang that's one of the reasons for going digital. :D

nmomoct28
04-26-2006, 07:05 AM
It seemed that I had no trouble at all when first using my camera. However, now I have to recharge it before I import the pictures into my computer. After reading this thread, perhaps it's because I switched to RAW?

ReF
04-26-2006, 07:33 AM
i shoot RAW 99.99% of the time and battery life is excellent, even with a good amount of lcd use (when time allows it). in fact the battery life is so good and it charges so fast that i didn't even buy a spare for it! (being cheap here :D cuz it's a temporary camera). i had a spare for the 300D on the other hand and it was a neccessity (slow charge in comparison). BTW these kind of batteries should not self discharge much, not like nimh batteries.

Thai
04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
I have the battery grip on my XT. Lasts 'forever'. :D

Video on chimping...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/chimping/index.html

emily21
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm so happy to hear all this good stuff about the battery, sounds like no one ever has anything bad to say about this camera.
ps PETER24: Are the photos on your site done with a 350D?

24Peter
04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
ps PETER24: Are the photos on your site done with a 350D?
Everything after Stephanie Northrup's gallery (April 8, 2005) was done with my XT except Kimberly Jean and Rosa Servin which were done with a Canon 5D (which BTW I think is too hot for Jamie to handle. :) )