PDA

View Full Version : Monopod recommendation

Bluedog
05-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Looking for a not too expensive, lite weight and compact one. Any suggestions?

THX

nate
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
For lightweight and compact, I don't think you can beat the Bogen 676B "DIGI" Monopod. But I have no idea if it falls under your definition of cheap.

I bought one at Wolf Camera, but I exchanged it for one of Bogen's regular aluminum ones (maybe the 680), because it felt sturdier. I think the DIGI is rated to hold 10 lbs, so theoretically that's enough for your XT and a regular lens.

Rhys
05-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Looking for a not too expensive, lite weight and compact one. Any suggestions?

THX

Generally, I found a monopod to be of little worth. I spent more time lugging the perishing thing around (I had a Manfrotto) than using it. In the end I sold mine. For cheapness, try attaching a clamp tripod to the end of a walking stick. I generally lean on a handy wall or tree or simply squat down as required.

cwphoto
05-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I get a lot of use out of my Manfrotto. It's aluminium so it's fairly light, and extends to around 18dm.

Balrog
05-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I get a lot of use out of my Manfrotto. It's aluminium so it's fairly light, and extends to around 18dm.

Decimeters? I think that's the first time I've seen that particular unit used in real life :)

What exactly are the pros/cons of a monopod vs a tripod?

cwphoto
05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Just a bit of fun - should be more of it!

Monopods are lighter than tripods and are especially useful when using long lenses. They tend to provide a good combination of support and flexibility - that's why the sports guys love them, they can pan whilst still having some stability.

jeisner
05-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Certainly very useful if you don't want to lug a heavy tripod around...