PDA

View Full Version : D70 firmware upgrade.

Cold Snail
05-16-2005, 04:17 AM
Windows version (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=YmQmExFh&p_lva=507&p_faqid=4279&p_created=1115803789&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTgmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT03JnBfcHJvZF9 sdmwxPTQwJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTQ4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MyZwX 3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

Mac Version (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=YmQmExFh&p_lva=507&p_faqid=4280&p_created=1115804621&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTgmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT03JnBfcHJvZF9 sdmwxPTQwJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTQ4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MyZwX 3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

Read the instructions first and away you go.
My D70 has just been done and it seems fine, I'll post some findings later on.

D70FAN
05-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Windows version (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=YmQmExFh&p_lva=507&p_faqid=4279&p_created=1115803789&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTgmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT03JnBfcHJvZF9 sdmwxPTQwJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTQ4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MyZwX 3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

Mac Version (http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=YmQmExFh&p_lva=507&p_faqid=4280&p_created=1115804621&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTgmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT03JnBfcHJvZF9 sdmwxPTQwJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTQ4JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9MyZwX 3NvcnRfYnk9ZGZsdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)

Read the instructions first and away you go.
My D70 has just been done and it seems fine, I'll post some findings later on.

Thanks Paul. Worth it just for the counter update. ;)

sarcazmo
05-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Read some things regarding image quality being darker after the firmware upgrade.

Anyone that's upgraded experience this?

thesween
05-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Actually, I did some some stuff this afternoon after the upgrade with the on-board flash and thought the exposure was far better than before. Coincidence? Honestly, I dunno...

Bill Noble
05-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Can anyone think of any reasons of not downloading the new D70 firmware? I am always very cautious about these things and like to wait months (years?) before downloading to give others time to do bug testing.

Am i being overly cautious?

D70FAN
05-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Can anyone think of any reasons of not downloading the new D70 firmware? I am always very cautious about these things and like to wait months (years?) before downloading to give others time to do bug testing.

Am i being overly cautious?

I've got it downloaded, but not installed. I feel the same way.

If it aint broke....

Charles C. Weston
05-19-2005, 08:17 AM
I took the bull by the horns and installed the firmware, and although I have not tested by taking some shots, I am wondering does the installation destroy any custom curve that I previously installed. If anyone knows I would appreciate hearing from you.
I suppose that I could check for myself and I will do this and get back.

Charles C. Weston
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
I took the bull by the horns and installed the firmware, and although I have not tested by taking some shots, I am wondering does the installation destroy any custom curve that I previously installed. If anyone knows I would appreciate hearing from you.
I suppose that I could check for myself and I will do this and get back.

I have checked and find that, apparently, the new firmware does not affect custom curves. My D70 at "Normal" optimization is as before a little underexposed, which is fine with me, when processed by Capture 4.2 and the custom curve produces what I consider a more normal exposure which perhaps may make it more difficult to adjust in PS Elements as the dark tones might not be there. Both shots were made with the same parameters, aperture, f/ stop etc.
I have had four D70 bodies and now for the first ime I can hear the beep when the focus is correct. The menu display is more colorful, but I had no complaint with the old one.
I suppose that only time will tell whether or not the new firmware gives us anything really better, but at first glance there are no problems.

D70FAN
05-19-2005, 11:35 AM
I have checked and find that, apparently, the new firmware does not affect custom curves. My D70 at "Normal" optimization is as before a little underexposed, which is fine with me, when processed by Capture 4.2 and the custom curve produces what I consider a more normal exposure which perhaps may make it more difficult to adjust in PS Elements as the dark tones might not be there. Both shots were made with the same parameters, aperture, f/ stop etc.
I have had four D70 bodies and now for the first ime I can hear the beep when the focus is correct. The menu display is more colorful, but I had no complaint with the old one.
I suppose that only time will tell whether or not the new firmware gives us anything really better, but at first glance there are no problems.

Thanks Charles. So far so good...

...Why 4 bodies?

Ray Schnoor
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I have had four D70 bodies and now for the first ime I can hear the beep when the focus is correct.

Just out of curiosity, did you have auto focus set for continuous? The camera does not beep in this mode. Only in auto focus single.

Ray.

Charles C. Weston
05-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks Charles. So far so good...

...Why 4 bodies?

George,

When I bought the D70 in April last year the Nikon kit lens was not available, so I settled for two Sigma's. Then I had trouble getting decent exposures. I contacted Nikon and they swapped out the body. This did not help. Then they discovered that I had Sigma lenses. So I swapped those for a "kit" lens.
This did not help, so they swapped out the body again. Still no satisfaction. Then I discovered Digital Camera Resourse and you George came to my rescue by pointing out that, in spite of what might be expected, the ISO is not automatic in the "Automatic" mode even it is set to automatic on the menu. Then I started checking the ISO before shooting each day and I started enjoying my D70. The third body then failed to format the memory card, so another swap out. Since about last August there have been no problems and I have been a loyal readeer of Digital Camera Resourse ever since. I will say that Ritz Camera was very patient with me and were very accomadating with all of my problems.

I have almost forgiven the Nikon people who write manuals.

Thanks again George for all of your help to me and other people who struggle with problems.

Charlie

Charles C. Weston
05-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you have auto focus set for continuous? The camera does not beep in this mode. Only in auto focus single.

Ray.

Thank you Ray, but I did have the AF set for single.

Charlie

D70FAN
05-19-2005, 02:56 PM
George,

When I bought the D70 in April last year the Nikon kit lens was not available, so I settled for two Sigma's. Then I had trouble getting decent exposures. I contacted Nikon and they swapped out the body. This did not help. Then they discovered that I had Sigma lenses. So I swapped those for a "kit" lens.
This did not help, so they swapped out the body again. Still no satisfaction. Then I discovered Digital Camera Resourse and you George came to my rescue by pointing out that, in spite of what might be expected, the ISO is not automatic in the "Automatic" mode even it is set to automatic on the menu. Then I started checking the ISO before shooting each day and I started enjoying my D70. The third body then failed to format the memory card, so another swap out. Since about last August there have been no problems and I have been a loyal readeer of Digital Camera Resourse ever since. I will say that Ritz Camera was very patient with me and were very accomadating with all of my problems.

I have almost forgiven the Nikon people who write manuals.

Thanks again George for all of your help to me and other people who struggle with problems.

Charlie

Yikes! I didn't recall that, but maybe I came in on the end of your swapfest, or it is possible that I forgot (very possible). Glad to hear that things have settled down a bit. I'm hopin' my memory is the first thing to go...

I have to agree on the manual problem, but as we all know it's not limited to Nikon or cameras. I think you can get more clear information out of reading the reviews.

Anyway, keep us posted on the after-upgrade improvement. Guess I should go ahead and do this myself.