PDA

View Full Version : Proud Papa of new D70

Jeff H
09-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have finally taken the plunge and ordered my D70 tonight! :D

I wanted to thank Goerge for all of his hel and any of you who have answered any of my posts! I look forward to getting more involved and more experienced with my new camera!

Jeff

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I have finally taken the plunge and ordered my D70 tonight! :D

I wanted to thank Goerge for all of his hel and any of you who have answered any of my posts! I look forward to getting more involved and more experienced with my new camera!

Jeff

You must promise that you will use it only for good... ;)

... all other shots must be screened. :D

Jeff H
09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
You must promise that you will use it only for good... ;)

... all other shots must be screened. :D

Ohhhhhhhhh if I have to!!!!!!!

By the way George, Do you recommend geting any filters? I have the 18-70 & 70-300 Lens!

D70FAN
09-03-2004, 09:52 PM

By the way George, Do you recommend geting any filters? I have the 18-70 & 70-300 Lens!

Just the standard Hoya (or whatever) UV/Haze filter. Mainly to protect the lenses. Sometimes a polarizer can be fun to bring out the sky. Any other filter (actually including the polarizer) can be sythesized in photoshop.

Once you get going, you will want to start shooting in RAW+JPEG. You have to post-process using a Photoshop RAW plug-in, or Nikons Capture 4.0 for $99, if you don't have Photoshop CS.

RAW+Basic JPEG is pretty nice, but it really uses up a memory card quickly, so where before 256 and 512 cards were ok, with RAW you start thinking 1GB.

Anyway, have fun.

Jeff H
09-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Just the standard Hoya (or whatever) UV/Haze filter. Mainly to protect the lenses. Sometimes a polarizer can be fun to bring out the sky. Any other filter (actually including the polarizer) can be sythesized in photoshop.

Once you get going, you will want to start shooting in RAW+JPEG. You have to post-process using a Photoshop RAW plug-in, or Nikons Capture 4.0 for $99, if you don't have Photoshop CS.

RAW+Basic JPEG is pretty nice, but it really uses up a memory card quickly, so where before 256 and 512 cards were ok, with RAW you start thinking 1GB.

Anyway, have fun.

Thanks Goerge! I bought 2 Ultra II 512 CF Cards and soon I will be picking up the PQI 1 gig card from Fry's

D70FAN
09-05-2004, 05:45 PM

Sorry, my system seems to be having problems. Hope this answer goes through.

All you really need is a UV haze filter to protect the lens. Others can be synthesized in Photoshop. If you do not have Photoshop then maybe a polarized filter would be nice.

George

Rhys
09-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Sorry, my system seems to be having problems. Hope this answer goes through.

All you really need is a UV haze filter to protect the lens. Others can be synthesized in Photoshop. If you do not have Photoshop then maybe a polarized filter would be nice.

George

I used to use UV filters on my 35mm cameras. Sure, they protected the lenses and I had Hoya filters. The sad fact was though that they softened and often distorted the image - even brand-spanking new filters. In the end I binned the filters and went with bare lens elements that I'd keep covered with the lens cap when iw as not actively taking a photo. Personally, I'd say - if you care about your photos, don't shove anything that'll degrade the image between the lens and the subject.

Janet
09-05-2004, 06:24 PM
In the end I binned the filters and went with bare lens elements that I'd keep covered with the lens cap when i was not actively taking a photo. Personally, I'd say - if you care about your photos, don't shove anything that'll degrade the image between the lens and the subject.

I know this is a little off topic, but Rhys, since you shoot with a naked lens, I figure you are the one to ask. How do you clean your lens from various foreign particles, smudges and whatever?
I am so chicken to clean the lens I often shoot with a dirty lens then lose the camera so I don't have to worry about cleaning it! I want to keep my next camera so help needed. Smudges definitely degrade the image. :D
Janet

D70FAN
09-05-2004, 08:00 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but Rhys, since you shoot with a naked lens, I figure you are the one to ask. How do you clean your lens from various foreign particles, smudges and whatever?
I am so chicken to clean the lens I often shoot with a dirty lens then lose the camera so I don't have to worry about cleaning it! I want to keep my next camera so help needed. Smudges definitely degrade the image. :D
Janet

A decent lens cloth should work just fine...

tech70
09-19-2004, 07:33 AM

Jeff

Hi Jeff
Is Buydig a good store to order....or can you recommend any online store for D70...
Thanks

Jeff H
09-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Jeff
Is Buydig a good store to order....or can you recommend any online store for D70...
Thanks

Tech,

I just went ahead and bought from Best Buy, I did alot of research online and found most online sellers were too good to be true! Your best bet is to buy from a brick and morter store.