PDA

View Full Version : 20D Color Balance

ghilak
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Having difficulty in low light with color balance results. Using 20D with 550 EX Flash.
Any thoughts are appreciated --

GhilaK

TenD
05-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Shoot in RAW if you are shooting in difficult lighting, you can pick a custom white point, or choose your WB setting in post processing withough loss.

24Peter
05-16-2005, 07:45 AM
FWIW - I've noticed my WB is hit or miss whenever I use a flash on my XT. I've tried both the 420EX and now 220EX and the white balance can be all over the place. Unlike when I'm not using a flash and the WB seems to be spot on all the time (or at least consistent among groups of photos with similar lighting.

TheObiJuan
05-16-2005, 09:08 AM
have you seen this thread?
http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8192&highlight=color+balance
;)

With the speedlight just set the white balance to the flash mode and then use the WB grid to make changes. Usually I will have to go 3,-2 in small rooms with white cielings to get skin tones back to normal. Experiment and you will see what works with you.

note: by 3,-2, I mean over 3 towards the right, then down 2 towards the bottom.

24Peter
05-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the tip Juan. I should have mentioned that I experience the problem primarily outdoors when I'm using the flash as fill. I shot a bunch of headshots with an actor friend the other day and the WB was literally all over the spectrum. Some shots were too yellow, many too red, a few were magenta city. It was very strange. I was using auto WB and it was around 5:30PM. I was using the sun to backlight her. When I turned the flash off, the WB was fine.

I'm shooting another actor today and I'll try using the flash WB preset though I'm a little concerned that will leave the image a little cold at that hour of the day. As far as manually WB before each shot that is highly impracticable for me. It's enough to focus, zoom and compose/frame my shot. And with these headshots, I feel the need to rattle them off pretty quick to capture the moment. Otherwise the actor's attention may stray.